Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tele - Ugly or Beautiful? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tele - Ugly or Beautiful?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Since there were enough comments about the looks of the Tele, I thought the topic deserved it's own thread. The title BUG stirred a little opinion, so I figure let's discuss our view.

Initially I didn't like the Tele, saw no attraction to it, not the looks or the sound. When started to find an interest in it, I still didn't think it was a pleasant looking guitar, but the more I read the threads and the more I saw pictures of it, my interest grew. CB went and bought hers and Wingsdad got that lovely G&L - the combination of the two took me over the top.

They have a beauty in it's simplicity and I think because of the simplicity they tend not to be eye catching unless you start to learn the history of guitars and where the Tele fits in.

If there is a study or was to be a study, I think you would find that the Tele style is ranks low as far as the style of someones first guitar. Chances are, althiugh there are a lot of Tele owners, the purchase was most likely at least the second guitar they purchased.

So, tell us what you think about Tele's (from any manufacturer) and if you have one, post a pic with your comments.

Not the best pic, but

I think Teles are very cool looking but I have 2 Parker Niteflys so what do I know about good looks?!

=-) PJ

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way the Telecaster looks, ever since I saw Pete Townshend play it live in NYC at the Murry the K Show, when the Who first came to the USA. When he started hitting the big amp behind him with his white Tele at the end of "My Generation" I knew that was the guitar for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Not technically a Tele, it' a 51 Nocaster . sorry....
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you should be sorry. A '51? That guitar's too old. Please send it to me for proper disposal.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

For me when I was younger I thought the Tele was a crap guitar and the Esquire was just cheap. I mean one pick up WTF is that all about. Fast foward 15-20 years. I bought two Teles both MIM Standards (Artic White and Chrome Red) and converted the red one into a Esquire to see what they were all about. I look back with regret now that I ever had those feelings. I sold the white Tele and kept the red Esquire. I lightly reliced the body and for a first timer and it being a poly body it looks fine to me. For me while the Tele is no slouch the Esquire is the best damn guitar ever made. The reason I like the Esquire so much I can concentrate more on playing then flipping the selector switch trying to get the sound I want the Esquire already does that for me.

So to answer your question "If a tele is ugly or beautiful?" The Tele is beautiful but the Esquire is "Drop Dead Gorgeous.
    May you be a half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day, I think that the Tele is the best design of all time as far as solid body electrics go. Leo's first was the best IMO.

It's the model that I would choose if I could have only ONE guitar and no other, so that should tell you what I think of it's beauty.

Wonderfully simple, yet immensely effective. What more can you ask for?

Post Thanks / Like

I like them, one day I will own a Fender Tele.
    Here is my tele

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gitch
    I like them, one day I will own a Fender Tele.
    Here is my tele

Gitch, I gigged a Squier JV strat all over the UK from 1982-90 and (allowing for nostalgia) I still think it's the best strat I've ever owned (out of about a dozen since). They can take it with a bit of occasional work from a pro. Nice guitar
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Teles...rather ugly. Not quite as ugly as strats, though, possibly.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Gitch, I gigged a Squier JV strat all over the UK from 1982-90 and (allowing for nostalgia) I still think it's the best strat I've ever owned (out of about a dozen since). They can take it with a bit of occasional work from a pro. Nice guitar
    Little known fact jeff healey played a Squier Strat. That's gotta amount to something.
    May you be a half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    it all depends on the finish.... i like sunburst teles, or those awesome rosewood ones, that are just natural looking.. but i would never buy just a black telecaster, for instance. meh.
    I also love sunbursts, etc., but sometimes you can't pass up a good deal, regardless of color. Black guitars keep falling in my lap!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My very first guitar, way, way back, was a Tele Thinline ('68) copy, sunburst with a maple fingerboard... <sigh> I miss having one

Saved up a lot of money for that one! Musta been around $50 or so back in '80 or '81 (alot for a young teen to save up for back then)! It was probably a POS! Right? LOL

Cheers!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

My first was a sunburst American Fender, 'sold it, and now I have a Ron Kirn tele. Sweet ~

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite envious over that Ron Kirn tele....he is the man.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Default A lookin' good Tele

Hey, I think Teles can look quite fine. Here's a shot of my Blackout Deluxe Telecaster, alongside another pretty Fender product, an FSR Ash Strat. They each have their beauty. BTW, the Tele is my main player. Simply more versatile. Also, it stays in tune like a rockin' rock.
    Last edited by Miami-Ace; July 1st, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: I wanted to resize the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miami-Ace
    Hey, I think Teles can look quite fine. Here's a shot of my Blackout Deluxe Telecaster, alongside another pretty Fender product, an FSR Ash Strat. They each have their beauty. BTW, the Tele is my main player. Simply more versatile. Also, it stays in tune like a rockin' rock.
    Very nice Tele & Strat, Miami-Ace! Welcome to The Fret.

Be sure to introduce yourself over in The Fret Players section.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Very nice Tele & Strat, Miami-Ace! Welcome to The Fret.

Be sure to introduce yourself over in The Fret Players section.
    +1 to both of those!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    Tele's rule!!!!

Muddy, is that a koa Korean Tele on the right?
    Regardless, it's a beauty! How's it sound?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Beauty, eh?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast