Thread: Swapping out a Nut

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swapping out a Nut

I noted in another thread about swapping out the nut on the Peavey. I never have done this on a guitar (or on myself), so I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone tried this material?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...Tech_Nuts.html
    I'm not sure if I want to go with this or tusq.

2) Do the pre-slotted ones require additional work? Do I have to buy nut files? That's money I don't want to spend.

3) Looking at the pre-slotted, it has a lug on the underneath side, but the others do not - anyone know the reason for the lug?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I noted in another thread about swapping out the nut on the Peavey. I never have done this on a guitar (or on myself), so I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone tried this material?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...Tech_Nuts.html
    I'm not sure if I want to go with this or tusq.

2) Do the pre-slotted ones require additional work? Do I have to buy nut files? That's money I don't want to spend.

3) Looking at the pre-slotted, it has a lug on the underneath side, but the others do not - anyone know the reason for the lug?
    I've recently looked into changing out the nut on my 51. I think the lug is like a spacer, and can be removed if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Strum... if you have never done this before it would be a good Idea to get help from someone who is experienced in this kind of work.this a critical area and it has to be done the correct way or you will have problems.

Graph Tech products are great. my Schecter came with a Graph tech nut already installed from the factory...It works Great.

And yes they will require additional work...pre slotted will eliminate string spacing. that small tab can be removed,some older fenders had this tab.

I would suggest Reading this first though..it will give you some idea as what is involved.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...s.html#details

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one thing on my strat that I did not fool with on my own. But If I had to do it, I would use the pre slotted nut.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have used them yes you do have to do more work on them . Files I was luck we had the size ( bass at work ) .I have been told a cheaper away for the files is to get hold a set of Oxy cleaning tip files. If you go to a enginering shop they will know what you are talking about.
    Another way is to get a old set of strings & work back & forth.
    If I had to buy files I would try a hobby shop ie model trains etc as I think they would have some or even gunsmith etc.
    Bass a natural finish Jazz bass with a SX rosewood neck with white block inlay GFS Jazz PUPS Suzuki clasical guitar Behringer BX1800 amp
    Guitar (sons) Epiphone SG310 Epiphone LP junior Takamine 836D Chrous , wah volume , echo , overdrive pedals Ashton 80 watt amp