Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gigged out today, got rained on, didn't fry.

Thread: Gigged out today, got rained on, didn't fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Gigged out today, got rained on, didn't fry.

On the anniversary of my first gig, ( see http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3323): ), we played there again. All the same guys as last time (three guitars, a bass, a keyboard), but with no drummer this time. He was not available. Got a lot of nice complements. I was playing with my former instructor, and my current instructor had played just before me and was doing our sound.

He told me the difference between this year and last was huge, and that my playing was a lot more expressive and fluid. I like that. Of course, I could hear a bunch of clams I don't do when playing at home. Also, I did well on the song I was worried about, (Black Magic Woman, and I set the tone with the intro licks), and clammed on a song I was not worried about in the least. Typical.

Also, just as we were setting up, an afternoon rain storm moved in. We were under a canopy on a trailer, but the rain got in a little anyway. I kept grounded items separate from other grounded items and did not fry myself. Thanks Spud again for the coaching on that point. (if you are going to touch your amph, hold your guitar by the body and not the strings, stuff like that).

Bottom line, it was fun, again, and it always improves me to do it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I read about this reunion concert in Rolling Stone, but forgot that it was today.

: : :
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had fun and didn't fry SVL... that would not have been good.

Any pics from the set? Would love to see some.

Cheers Steve
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Sunny Boy.:

I played today too but inside. We had a pretty good crowd and some guest musicians. I started to fizzle out after about 4 1/2 hours of continual playing. I rode 2 1/2 hours on my bicycle and only got a Powerbar and a coke afterward because I had to hustle to the gig.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear, Steve. Gigging is fun! Hope you do lots more.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Glad you had fun and didn't fry SVL... that would not have been good.

Any pics from the set? Would love to see some.

Cheers Steve
    Thanks guys. My wife did not have the camera with her. One of the other family members may have. I will see what I get my hands on and if any are good. Oh yeah, I did NOT wear Crocs this time. LOL!!!! But I likely will again sometime. :

Spud, glad you had a good set, and a good ride as well!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pics as promised.

Watch those hands!

I am now going to drool on my guitar.

Note the packed out dance floor.

It was fun to play, even if my allergies were acting up, it was raining cats and dogs, and we had no drummer. Who am I kidding anyhow. I love playing out!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

you were one with your guitar! did you use canned drums or just do without?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just did without. When I was playing rhythm on one song, I even tried to make a percussive type "beat" by grabbing and releasing the strings in rhythm. Seemed to help. These guys seem to naturally stay in time with one another pretty well (me included), and Mike with his big Martin can set the rhythm for the most part. The sound was decent, but I prefer it with the drummer.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Man that strat looks great Steve!

Looks like you guys had a blast!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh! I just noticed that you have a purple AND red shirt on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No way man, Dogtown navy blue on the t-shirt.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks purple on my monitor. Anyway...you aren't really wearing a watch while you're playing are you? :

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We didn't have a drummer, I was using it to keep time. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Man that strat looks great Steve!

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Thanks Swede. I am glad that I was lucky enough to get it as my first electric. I am sure you will enjoy your new strat too. It is really a looker!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Touche' Bonaparte.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks purple to me Steve

What a blast that must have been, I can't wait until I can play out and outside as well. Clips Clips Clips.
    Your Strat looks sweet

M29