Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gig report and a picture of me in my monkey suit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gig report and a picture of me in my monkey suit

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Gig report and a picture of me in my monkey suit

I spent most of my weekend woodshedding tunes for my gig last night. I played cocktail hour at a wedding at the Beverly Hills Hotel...the first instrumental jazz gig I've played since college. I carpooled up there from Orange with the bassist and we got there early enough to go into Hollywood in search of some food...we ended up getting hot dogs at Pink Dot on Sunset because we didn't have too much time....

I only have one picture from the gig because it was a working gig...this was before they let the guests in:

The group was piano, bass, guitar and sax....the guy who contracted us was supposed to sing and play a bunch of Jimmy Buffet and James Taylor songs but he ended up bailing out at the last minute and just let us do our thing. I think he was supposed to fill the guitar spot that they hired me for at the last minute but he didn't feel comfortable reading jazz lead sheets and didn't have time to actually learn any of the tunes...lucky for me....

After the gig we went to Cantors on Fairfax....after playing a Jewish wedding and seeing all of the food we decided on Deli food for dinner. I had an incredible Pastrami Reuben and a stuffed cabbage....

Sitting at the table next to us was comedian Fred Willard....I didn't want to bother him since he was with a big group of people so no pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, cool! I've had hotdogs at Pinkies as well. Unless Pink Dot is somewhere different (it was a hotdog stand that a million celebrities have been to). They are some awesome wieners!

And you are the first person I have heard/read use the term 'woodshed'. Is that term particularly common, or only amongst jazz players?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Hey, cool! I've had hotdogs at Pinkies as well. Unless Pink Dot is somewhere different (it was a hotdog stand that a million celebrities have been to). They are some awesome wieners!

And you are the first person I have heard/read use the term 'woodshed'. Is that term particularly common, or only amongst jazz players?
    Actually, we wanted PInks but didn't have time to go there...Pink Dot is a mini market that delivers groceries and sandwiches and stuff...not the same as Pinks but it got us through the gig!

The term "woodshed" or "shed" are terms I hear alot but I think that Jazzers use them the most...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark wein
    Actually, we wanted PInks but didn't have time to go there...Pink Dot is a mini market that delivers groceries and sandwiches and stuff...not the same as Pinks but it got us through the gig!

The term "woodshed" or "shed" are terms I hear alot but I think that Jazzers use them the most...
    Ahh, so there is more than one place in Hollywood with 'pink' in the name. . . I should have known, really.

Good gig, overall, though? I can't imagine a Hollywood crowd being particularly responsive to jazz, given the current trends in music at the moment. . .

What a shame. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, so there is more than one place in Hollywood with 'pink' in the name. . . I should have known, really.
    Even a couple where its about food....

Good gig, overall, though? I can't imagine a Hollywood crowd being particularly responsive to jazz, given the current trends in music at the moment. . .

What a shame. . .
    Well, the idea is that we were "audible wallpaper". Not the reason people were there...just to help the atmosphere as people ate and drank and socialized before the dinner...the contractor liked us and promised more gigs, so I guess we did OK. I am just not much of a jazz guitarist so I was happy to have survived without getting knifed by the real jazzers

Post Thanks / Like

Even a couple where its about food....

Well, the idea is that we were "audible wallpaper". Not the reason people were there...just to help the atmosphere as people ate and drank and socialized before the dinner...the contractor liked us and promised more gigs, so I guess we did OK. I am just not much of a jazz guitarist so I was happy to have survived without getting knifed by the real jazzers
    Fair enough, dude. Well you made it! <high five>
    : (i missed)

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, dude. Well you made it! <high five>
    : (i missed)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark, For a very short period I use to live not to far from the BHH. I don't think there was Pink Dot back then, or at least I never heard of it. I do remember the BHH being pink - is it still painted pink?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Hey Mark, For a very short period I use to live not to far from the BHH. I don't think there was Pink Dot back then, or at least I never heard of it. I do remember the BHH being pink - is it still painted pink?
    To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention (I had to go in through the loading dock as usual) but I believe it is....Pink Dot has only been around for 8-10 years, I think...it was actually my first time in one and I wasn't too impressed...the hot dog was OK, though...

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention (I had to go in through the loading dock as usual) but I believe it is....Pink Dot has only been around for 8-10 years, I think...it was actually my first time in one and I wasn't too impressed...the hot dog was OK, though...
    Ok, it wouldn't have been there when I was out there. I lived right up the hill from The Whiskey on N. Clark. Ironically I wasn't into music much when I was out there. The other hot spot was the Roxy. If I remember correctly the Whiskey is gone and I'm not sure about the Roxy.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Ok, it wouldn't have been there when I was out there. I lived right up the hill from The Whiskey on N. Clark. Ironically I wasn't into music much when I was out there. The other hot spot was the Roxy. If I remember correctly the Whiskey is gone and I'm not sure about the Roxy.
    Actually both those venues are still there...the Coconut Teaszer and Gazarris are both gone, though...

Post Thanks / Like

The tie looks fabulous with that guitar and suit. Tasty.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    The tie looks fabulous with that guitar and suit. Tasty.
    Thanks! The gig was an excuse to finally go buy a new suit...I don't think I've ever owned a tie that wasn't red....the salesman put it out with some other ones and I had to have it. I told my wife that if I got a tie that was already mustard colored it would take me longer to ruin it

Post Thanks / Like

I told my wife that if I got a tie that was already mustard colored it would take me longer to ruin it
    Pretty close to signature material there. Who wants it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Pretty close to signature material there. Who wants it?

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin spiffy in the threads Mark :

The guitar ain't too shabby either.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I snagged it. Great line, Mark... and very suave looking with the suit and the guitar. :
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Lookin spiffy in the threads Mark :

The guitar ain't too shabby either.

Thanks! The guitars a loaner, though....I have to give it back this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I snagged it. Great line, Mark... and very suave looking with the suit and the guitar. :

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like a nice affair. Having heard your playing, including some jazz, I am sure you "faked" it real well. I know you didn't have ability to record, but would have been nice to hear.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast