Thread: Snake Oil Brand strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snake Oil Brand strings

I'd read a lot about these strings, and almost everyone seemed to say the same thing: great sound, and they last a long time. So I decided to try a set.

I ordered the vintage nickel for electrics, in a 10-52 size. I had been considering going from 10's to 11's and decided to make this compromise.

There's been a lot of discussion on the gear page about long waits for delivery of strings. Not surprising when you consider this is a one man operation, plus he got an Editor's Pick review from Guitar Player recently, which was sure to swamp him with orders. Anyway, mine arrived in about 3 weeks.

New strings always make my guitar sound a bit better. These made the guitar sound a LOT better. In fact, I literally could not believe the sound that was coming from my Jimmie Vaughan: big, bold, bright... It sounded like a new guitar.

I tried them out with some of my stompboxes. I've written here about wanting to get my TS9DX modded, since it seems to lack something. Anyway, I plugged and played and thought, "Well, guess I won't be needing this thing modded." The difference was that extreme. It delivered that big, bright, fat sound I had been looking for.

It's been 2 and a half weeks, and they still sound awesome. This agrees with the reviews I had read, but I wanted to see if it was just hype. After having played these, I'm a convert. I know any other strings will be a disappointment. And they're not that expensive, between $8.50 and $9.50 a set, plus shipping.

I hate to praise stuff too highly, because I don't want people to be disappointed when they try it and it doesn't meet their expectations. But you owe it to yourself to give these a try.

Bob

ps -- I'm not getting paid to say any of this, just a satisfied customer.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Snake Oil strings? I've never heard of these, can you enlighten me? I take it they are handmade by one man?

Post Thanks / Like

You can check them out at http://www.sobstrings.net/

Also, you can read the Guitar Player review at http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...d/Nov-06/24120

They are only available from his website. As for the technical reasons why they sound better, there is something about nickel coating that I don't really understand. But I do hear the difference. Like I said, try them for yourself and see what you think. But I was amazed that something as simple as a new set of strings could make that much of a difference.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    You can check them out at http://www.sobstrings.net/

Also, you can read the Guitar Player review at http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...d/Nov-06/24120

They are only available from his website. As for the technical reasons why they sound better, there is something about nickel coating that I don't really understand. But I do hear the difference. Like I said, try them for yourself and see what you think. But I was amazed that something as simple as a new set of strings could make that much of a difference.

Bob
    Excellent, thanks!
    :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    I'd read a lot about these strings, and almost everyone seemed to say the same thing: great sound, and they last a long time. So I decided to try a set.

I ordered the vintage nickel for electrics, in a 10-52 size. I had been considering going from 10's to 11's and decided to make this compromise.
    What size do you normally use and what brand?

I may give these a try, but I'm curious why you went to 10-52.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    What size do you normally use and what brand?

I may give these a try, but I'm curious why you went to 10-52.
    I usually use 10's, was thinking of using 11's and on a whim ordered these. Kind of splitting the difference between the 2 strings sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that 10-52s are better for down tuning to Eb. I find that the lower three strings are a bit flabby on a regular 10-48 set. Since I've got six sets of 10-48 Speedloaders, I'll deal with it
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

In regard to string guage, I've been using Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms on my electrics, and like the sound and feel (firmer bass with more body to the lower strings - not so 'lightweight' feeling)- which are the same gauges as these. Sounds like these would be worth a try.