Thread: Tell me about Monitors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell me about Monitors

All the shows we go to or have been too....each member of the band has a pretty big monitor sitting on the floor in front of him....

What is coming out of these monitors...is it the mix...or is it just that person's sound?

What benefit does it provide....and would I (The home enthusiast) ever have a need for one?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    What benefit does it provide....and would I (The home enthusiast) ever have a need for one?
    Monitors reflect the band's sound back so the performers can hear what's being played. If the soundguy is sober and cooperative he can usually send the full mix to the monitors, or a partial mix, like drums and bass, if the drums are mic'ed.

You probably wouldn't need a monitor setup at home, unless you're playing a block party, or a gig in your back yard.:

Nowadays they have these really cool in ear monitors that send the mix straight to each performer. I'd love to try one of those setups out once.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much it, but they also give you something to to stand on with one leg and look cool when you're playing! Like Cliff Burton did.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually it is just whatever that person wants or needs to hear in order to make good music. Some folks only want vocals in theirs or kick drum or piano and vocals etc. It really depends on what the performer needs or wants to hear in that situation.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Usually it is just whatever that person wants or needs to hear in order to make good music. Some folks only want vocals in theirs or kick drum or piano and vocals etc. It really depends on what the performer needs or wants to hear in that situation.
    Also depends on how the monitor send is able to be directed. Big pro PA systems will have the capability to divert a full mix to the front of house while a seperate monitor mixing board is used to send signal to the performers on stage. They would have multiple monitor sends, so the mix can be tailored as required.

Our little mixing board only has one monitor send, so we are stuck with having pretty much a full mix in our monitors. Personally, I like to hear vocals and a little bit of guitar (my amp does most of the legwork), but we get some kick, snare and bass in there as well. Looking to upgrade that in the near future so we can each tweak what we want to hear in our individual mix.

For the most part, I need monitors to hear vocals so I know if I'm singing on key, loud enough (or too loud , finding my place for harmonies etc.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe

Nowadays they have these really cool in ear monitors that send the mix straight to each performer. I'd love to try one of those setups out once.
    I thought those were ear protection:

Well, except Townsend, figured his were hearing aids.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!