Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Does anyone here recommend a pedal?

Thread: Does anyone here recommend a pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone here recommend a pedal?

Hey y'all, I'm lookin to build up an analogue pedal collection to go alongside my rack-mount, but I'm just not too sure where to start. There's bloody millions of pedals out there. . .

I want completely analogue - tubes, transistors, the lot. Nothing digital, what so ever, will be needing some true bypass, sold metal, etc.

As far as effects, I'll be needing a decent overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb, chorus, flange, and maybe another wah.

Does anyone here recommend anything?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Bad Monkey has a few friends around here if you need a low/medium gain OD. I like a Proco RAT for higher gains but try to find an older one with the LM308 chip.
    For delay I'd suggest a digital unit for flexibility, most have some kind of high cut filter to sound like analog delays but with more delay time. The new Boss DD-7 actually models the collector grade DM-2 analog unit. Reverb will be a digital unit too, but should have the ability to sound like a spring if needed. My favourite choruses are the Boss CE-2 or the Arion SCH-1 (or SCH-Z) but I like thick warbly chorus. For wah it's hard to beat a Dunlop or Vox. Try both, they're different in feel and sound.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Most excellent advice, much thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

A nice overdrive pedal is the Boss OD-3. It has a little bit more balls than a tubescreamer...I'd highly recommend that. The Boss DS-2 is a cool pedal too...has two distortions; one that pretty much sounds like a DS-1, and the other mode has more mid-range, and is much fuller.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have decent soldering skills, like to work with your hands, and can follow directions accurately, then building your own analog effects from kits can be both fun & rewarding. Don't know what they have available over there across the pond, but there are a couple of good sellers of such kits over here, notably BYOC and General Guitar Gadgets.

Here's a webpage I put together with some of mine, though I need to update it--I've added 5 more since I posted these:

The newer ones include a Marshall-style distortion, 3-mode boost, switchable silicon/germanium fuzz, octave-fuzz, and a swell pedal. They're all posted in the Mods forum....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    If you have decent soldering skills, like to work with your hands, and can follow directions accurately, then building your own analog effects from kits can be both fun & rewarding. Don't know what they have available over there across the pond, but there are a couple of good sellers of such kits over here, notably BYOC and General Guitar Gadgets.

Here's a webpage I put together with some of mine, though I need to update it--I've added 5 more since I posted these:

The newer ones include a Marshall-style distortion, 3-mode boost, switchable silicon/germanium fuzz, octave-fuzz, and a swell pedal. They're all posted in the Mods forum....
    Very cool, DVM! I was really diggin your ZYS, and some of these other pedals look pretty cool, too! I'll check out them other sites you mentioned as well.

Cheers