View Poll Results: What kind music lover are you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jazz lover

8 22.86%
  • Blues lover

18 51.43%
  • Acoustic player

7 20.00%
  • 50's rock

3 8.57%
  • 60's rock

8 22.86%
  • 70's rock

16 45.71%
  • Metal

13 37.14%
  • Country

10 28.57%
  • Alternative

14 40.00%
  • Other (specify in your reply)

10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What major groups do we have on TheFret?

Post Thanks / Like

I listen to pretty much everything. I play a lot of improvisationally friendly music such as rock, jazz/funk, and bluegrass. After all these years I can finally say it: My name is Patrick, and I'm a Deadhead.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Two main styles for me: Metal (particularly Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal and Progressive Metal) and Ska.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Now how did that end up here,I thought we were talking about jobs.Well I'm still baiting hooks.Sumi
    Apparently I missed the boat on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really a 60s , 70s, rock & roller at heart but , also enjoy country , blues and bluegrass. Do not like something called rap and that other stuff called alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Apparently I missed the boat on that one.
    There's always junior's needed,I've been doing this for fourty years and well I need a braile keyboard.It's an OK job it has it's up and downs.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    There's always junior's needed,I've been doing this for fourty years and well I need a braile keyboard.It's an OK job it has it's up and downs.Sumi
    The joke, Sumi! I missed the boat on the joke.

Happy birthday, by the way.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I know I know I'm just teasing and thanks.SumiD
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I play in three different settings:

Mojo a blues trio where I sing and play rythmn & lead guitar

Soulmaniacs a rythmn' Blues cover band with a great horn section, I play rythmn & lead guitar and sing a third of the repertoire and do backing vocals

Jipes Blues project
    where I perform solo or in duet with either a sax player or a blues harp player. I play acoustic guitar, resonators and electric. I play my compositions as well as blues standards from Jimmy Reed to Alvin Youngblood Hart or Keb'Mo
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Soul
    R&B
    Funk
    Late 60's & 70's HARD ROCK
    JAZZ
    REGGAE old school Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Steel Plus, Black Uhru, & Jimmy cliff
    Classical Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, & Chopin.

I listen to every thing but country western although I know for sure some of those cats play a mean fiddle and guitar. Having done some work for Alabama, Hank Williams JR, & Garth Brooks!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I'll listen to just about any music genre and can probably find something interesting in most of them. My general listening covers a wide range. I'm not sure what genre some of it would fall into. As far as playing the guitar goes I've done classical, blues, rock and some acoustic. I'm currently doing a lot of the latter and have started attending a pub jam session that covers folk, blues and other acoustic music with a variety of instruments.

I just love music in all its forms.

Post Thanks / Like

I listen to just about everything but opera (The Magic Flute excepted - it has a place in the heart - but that's story that will go untold right now).

My favs are Blues, '50s Rock, '60s Rock, Country, Alternative, and Other.

What fits in Other, well that would be two kinds - folk, and Grateful Dead music.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Haha, I ain't in ANY of those groups. You need to add something for the punk/indie/roots/garage types.

Admitedly, I'll probably be the only member of said group.

Only if you exclude me I'm am unashamedly a member of that group I'd say.

Oh and I'm also happy to admit that I -AM- a fan of old school gangsta rap (Ice's T and Cube mostly), all kinds of hip-hop, with a soft spot for the Beasties first album and Aussie acts like the Herd and Hilltop Hoods and their ilk. I also really like a lot of Wu Tang Clan's earlier recordings. Dig through the "gansta" imagery and listen to the beats and samples and you'll find they have a groove that no other rap artists have been able to copy. I'm betting mostly RZA's influence as I've also really dug a few soundtracks he did (Ghost Dog in particular)

Also worth checking out...
    - Jurassic 5 (awesome actually)
    - Everlast (Whitey Ford, you know, the guy from House of Pain)

If you only listen to one Rap album though, get a hold of Public Enemy "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back" from 1988. This album was incredibly relevant to the evolution of not only Rap and Hip-Hop, but also many forms of electronic music and DJ'ing. It's been sampled so many times it's crazy. It's also an album with a social conscience. It's anti-drug, anti-racism, anti-sexist and more. Plus, it's got "Bring The Noise" on it!!

Oh and lets not forget the relatively groundbreaking combination of rap and rock with RunDMC and Aerosmith and of course, my boys, Public Enemy with Anthrax doing "Bring The Noise" with those chugging metal guitars in the background.

If you're feeling the rap/rock combo I highly recommend the awesome (first of its kind maybe?) soundtrack to "Judgement Night". They somehow paired up bands like Slayer with Ice T, Helmet with House of Pain, Pearl Jam with Cyprus Hill and more. It's hard, heavy, angry stuff (with the exception of the Sonic Youth/Cyprus Hill track "I Love You Mary Jane") but I think everyone should listen to it at some point. Drummers, check out the Slayer and Ice T jam "Disorder" and tell me you didn't find yourself air-drumming like a madman by the end. I'm not even a drummer and that song makes me wanna hit stuff....

Anyway....enough.... I fear TLNR
    Last edited by Ch0jin; January 11th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Heck yes.

I find it interesting that my entire top 8 and 10 of my top 12 are all from the UK.
    ..from last.fm

"Your musical compatibility with eds6654 is HIGH"

Well I guess we should be in the same group haha.

One tip though... Try and remember to turn scrobbling off when using jam tracks. I laughed when I checked my top ten a while ago and found things like "blues BT in G" and "Metal in E" on my list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    One tip though... Try and remember to turn scrobbling off when using jam tracks. I laughed when I checked my top ten a while ago and found things like "blues BT in G" and "Metal in E" on my list
    Yup. I get the same thing with some of my recorded tracks, so I usually opt to play that stuff in something without last.fm support, such as this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Only if you exclude me I'm am unashamedly a member of that group I'd say.

I am in Brian's group too (punk/indie/roots/garage), pretty much, based on my above posts. I have to admit that though I have tried a bit, I have never been able to get into much rap/hip hop, etc. Not too much metal either.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345