Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Epiphone Valve Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Nelskie: Regarding the tube rattle, both of these tubes have spring-loaded retainer mechanisms on them (see JPG below; power tube on left, preamp tube on right). Didn't yours come with this, also? Or do they just not work well? In any case, I really haven't played enough through the amp at higher volumes to tell if this is a problem with mine. So far, I haven't noticed it, though.
    DVM - Yes, mine has the same retainer clip / enclosure set-up as yours. The jury's out as to for effictiveness in eliminating this tube "buzz", and I've read a number of posts on other sites that state the same. Possible causes: 1.) The magnet and metal speaker frame for my Weber Alnico 8S speaker protrude further back than the stock speaker does, which may put the resulting speaker vibrations closer to the tubes - hence the rattle; 2.) I may have accidentally "clanked" my tubes while changing them out, so there is the possibility that the rattle was a product of my not-so-deft technical skills (I really did try to be careful.) At any rate, the silicone tube dampers / lead tape trick I told you about have pretty much put the kabosh on the majority of the problem (although I am now officially on the Golfsmith catalog mailing list - which appears to be a weekly publication), running the amp at full gallop (2 bells and beyond) does occasionally produce a little bit of tube rattle. Nothing I can't live with for now. The speaker is absolutely tight to the cab, so I dont think that's an issue. It's also helped to run the amp through my Classic 112E cabinet, which I think allows a bit of "breathing room" for the tone, as well as a slightly more complex break-up with the 12" Swamp Thang speaker.

But I do have to tell you this - what happens when you plug a Tonebone Classic Distortion pedal into this amp is absolutely magical. Pure Class A nirvana. And now that I've heard how this particular set-up this sounds, can a Valve Jr. head be far behind . . . ? Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

At the other end of the price scale Vox have just introduced this with a ON/OFF switch,a STANDBY switch and just a VOLUME POT so if you like Epi valve jr but want to gig with this type of amp....
    http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/ac30/ac30bm.htm
    actually you would probably sound like Brian May
    To Old To Die Young
    Epi Les Paul
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 vt

Post Thanks / Like

Man, can you beleive that? I'll take my AC30 with ALL the knobs please.

I wonder why anybody would want to sound like Brian May?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Man, can you beleive that? I'll take my AC30 with ALL the knobs please.

I wonder why anybody would want to sound like Brian May?
    You mean apart from Brian May .........yah you got me
    To Old To Die Young
    Epi Les Paul
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 vt

Post Thanks / Like

if im honest

i think all the little 'problems' that happened with the Valve junior have been ironed out, then the same guy came up with Blackheart amps, and registered with Crate.

the blackhearts seem to use better parts, but worse tubes.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112