Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Best distortion pedal for hard rock without being "metal"?

Thread: Best distortion pedal for hard rock without being "metal"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best distortion pedal for hard rock without being "metal"?

Which pedals do you find work best for hard rock without being a full-blown metal pedal?

I need a good heavy crunching pedal that adds sensitivity to perform pinched harmonics and tapping easily without being too "metallic" or noisy. I currently use a DOD Death Metal for 80s sovers which works decent but has way too much treble. Even running through a Boss EQ cannot tone down this beast.

Here's some of the songs we're doing, so you can get an idea of what I'm looking for:
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Crazy Train, Over The Mountain, Flying High Again)
    • Ratt (Lay It Down, Round and Round)
    • Skid Row (Monkey Business, I Remember You, Youth Gone Wild)
    • Van Halen (Ain't Talking About Love, Hot For Teacher, Somebody Get Me A Doctor)
    If you can offer any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em!

Thanks in advace,
    tremoloman
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I havent played much hard rock, but I had a Boss Turbo Overdrive that was glorious when you wanted those sounds. More drive than you need in that one!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this phrase many times. Just what exactly are pinched harmonics?

Post Thanks / Like

Trem
    You have to check out the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal! I've had mine for about a week and have been pretty busy with work so I'm just getting around to messing with it.
    So far I have tried many of the diagram settings in the manual and they are spot on. My own settings are really nice too. It is very, very versatile and uses a tube to get the crunch. All I have to say is that its pretty amazing. I'm going to use it at a gig this Saturday and will post a review after a thorough workout. Can you say "sustain for days?"
    Just messing on my own I've found out that I can sound like almost any British tube amp and any British tube amp modified/hot rodded! Shazam! Smokin!
    If you can find a store that has one I recommend that you check it out.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange. Billy uses them often.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Trem
    You have to check out the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal! I've had mine for about a week and have been pretty busy with work so I'm just getting around to messing with it.
    So far I have tried many of the diagram settings in the manual and they are spot on. My own settings are really nice too. It is very, very versatile and uses a tube to get the crunch. All I have to say is that its pretty amazing. I'm going to use it at a gig this Saturday and will post a review after a thorough workout. Can you say "sustain for days?"
    Just messing on my own I've found out that I can sound like almost any British tube amp and any British tube amp modified/hot rodded! Shazam! Smokin!
    If you can find a store that has one I recommend that you check it out.
    Have you heard of the Duncan Twin Tube? I'd like to try that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange. Billy uses them often.
    So what is a false harmonic? I know some physics & never heard the term before. I'll give a listen to those tunes.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinched harmonics are a false harmonic created when you kit the string with your pick and the edge of your thumb or finger at the same time. There is a good example in the middle of one of the first verses in 'Hotel California' and the solo on La Grange....
    ....and any of a number of Roy Buchanan tunes. Roy was the acknowledged master of the pinch harmonic.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!