Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Need Quick Opinion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Quick Opinion

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Quick Opinion

Based on pics - any thoughts, concerns?

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

a pic of the injury

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

No opinions? Well, I'll give you mine in a few days, I just bought it for $91 - I actually wanted to pay $100.01 because I have a coupon for $20 off on anything over $100.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Indonesian-made '04 Squier Strat? Where did you buy it from?

BTW, you might want to allow more than 27 minutes between query & purchase, if you really want opinions!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Affinity Squier most likely. The Standards have a 2 post tremolo as far as I know. The way to tell is to measure the thickness of the body and compare the overall size to a Standard Strat. If your new one is thinner and smaller then it probably is an Affinity.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Indonesian-made '04 Squier Strat? Where did you buy it from?
    E-bay - zeb_is_a_dork

BTW, you might want to allow more than 27 minutes between query & purchase, if you really want opinions!
    New server, I thought I would get quicker responses.

I figured I could use it as my guinea pig to experiment with. The guy has a 100% rating with 60+ transactions, so I figure it has to at least play. I also noticed he sold a guitar to a guy I recently sold my last acoustic to, not that it means anything. Maybe it will be a Six Degrees of Strum.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Affinity Squier most likely. The Standards have a 2 post tremolo as far as I know. The way to tell is to measure the thickness of the body and compare the overall size to a Standard Strat. If your new one is thinner and smaller then it probably is an Affinity.
    junk?

I also thought it was strange that it had no marking on the face of the headstock, I had never seen that before. If it's decent, cool. If not, it's only $91
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Maybe it will be a Six Degrees of Strum.
    That's funny.

Tell me about that $20 coupon. I wasn't aware eBay did coupons, though admittedly I'm locally famous for my general obliviousness....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny.

Tell me about that $20 coupon. I wasn't aware eBay did coupons, though admittedly I'm locally famous for my general obliviousness....
    well I found it was for a tech purchase only - TV, radio...

But every once in awhile I get a discount coupon if I spend X amount of money, I get X amount off if I use PayPal. Most times I pay no attention to them since I don't want to buy just so I can take advantage of a coupon.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

junk?
    Well, the Affinity Strats I've seen are only $100 new, so you may have overpaid, if that's what it is. But let's not rush to judgment (faster server notwithstanding). See what it looks, feels and plays like when it shows up. And if you don't like it then....well, there's always eBay!

EDIT: I see the Affinity Strats at MF are $150, but I saw several at my local GC for $100 a few months back. Prolly on sale....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Affinity Strats I've seen are only $100 new, so you may have overpaid, if that's what it is. But let's not rush to judgment (faster server notwithstanding). See what it looks, feels and plays like when it shows up. And if you don't like it then....well, there's always eBay!

EDIT: I see the Affinity Strats at MF are $150, but I saw several at my local GC for $100 a few months back. Prolly on sale....
    I'll do the old cigarette burn on the headstock and resell it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Affinity's play and resonate really well. Of course they cut costs with lower grade electronics and tuners but sometimes they are pretty good overall. Even the thinner bodies can resonate very nicely and most of the clear finish models are made from usually 3 to 5 pieces of alder. The solid finishes use a variety of woods including agathis and basswood. Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Affinity's play and resonate really well. Of course they cut costs with lower grade electronics and tuners but sometimes they are pretty good overall. Even the thinner bodies can resonate very nicely and most of the clear finish models are made from usually 3 to 5 pieces of alder. The solid finishes use a variety of woods including agathis and basswood. Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.
    What do you make of the blank headstock?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Still if it looks like a guitar and plays like a guitar then it probably is a guitar.
    Now I ask you--where else but TheFret can you tap into wisdom & insight like THAT?!?

What do you make of the blank headstock?
    Intentionally removed is my guess. Some people just can't stand anyone knowing that it's not a "real" Fender. Foolishness, I say....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Strum!

It looks like the neck is birdseye maple. To my knowledge, that's not common on an Affinity Strat.

What you may have there is a Partscaster made with an aftermarket neck, which could be a cool find. Once it comes in, take the neck off and check. If it's aftermarket, it'll say "Licensced by Fender," or have a brand name burned into the neck. It is odd that there isn't a decal on the front, but a serial number and Fender logo on the back.

If it is indeed a Partscaster, pull off the pickguard and check the pups. You may have ended up with someone's modding project, with some cool parts!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that neck is cool looking. Might be a sleeper anyhow.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I think that neck is cool looking. Might be a sleeper anyhow.
    The blank headstock has me puzzled.

I tried to back out of the deal and never heard back from the guy.

Oh well, I'll check it out and use it as my experimental guitar.

Will give free pups and pots a good home
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

It's really common for people to take off the decals from the face of the headstock just because they don't want people to think they are dweebs for playing a Squier. You'll know more once you get it. The neck could either be from a Standard or an Affinity.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really common for people to take off the decals from the face of the headstock just because they don't want people to think they are dweebs for playing a Squier.
    I've never understood why people think like that.
    Jeff Healey played a Squier didn't he?
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast