Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
TB-12 Screamin' Demon in my Floyd DST-3

Thread: TB-12 Screamin' Demon in my Floyd DST-3

Post Thanks / Like

Default TB-12 Screamin' Demon in my Floyd DST-3

Well, it's here and it's soldered in place! My only gripe was that after getting it together I discovered that the Demon was out of phase with my Area 61s. A quick lead swap later and we're in bidness. Here are some before and after clips for your entertainment (or an unreasonable facsimile):

This is my previously-posted switch test. I'm using my Black 2x12 settings on my AD30VT. It is the Sweet Jane riff played twice while going through various switch settings. The settings are in order:
    1) Humbucker only
    2) Humbucker and neck
    3) Humbucker and middle
    4) All three pickups

Switch Test with stock humbucker
    Switch Test with Screamin' Demon

For another clean test, I'm using the same amph settings as above.

Walk, Don't Run with stock humbucker
    Walk, Don't Run with Screamin' Demon

Last, but not least, the obligatory "In My Dreams" using my newfound US Higain settings on my AD30VT.

In My Dreams with stock humbucker
    In My Dreams with Screamin' Demon

The Demon basically gave me what I was looking for: more clarity, less output, and a little more snarl. That is very obvious on the clean tests. The heavily distorted version isn't anywhere near as obvious. That US Higain amp model really wants to inflict its will on the tone.

My soldering skills have definitely improved. I actually was able to use the desoldering braid halfway decently. I also learned that the volume knob on the AD30VT controls the output to the line-out. You'd think I would have figured that out earlier. Oh well. I also took some pictures so you can see the total transformation. I'll try to get those posted soon.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pictures:
    My DST-3 stock

Larger version

My DST-3 with a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge and Dimarzio Area '61s in the middle and neck:

Larger version

The "guts": my rewiring job. This picture was taken before I swapped the leads on the Demon. I also later wrapped the bare ground wire with electrical tape.

Larger version
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, Matt. Definitely more articulate on the top end, and better bass definition, as well. Very noticeable improvement. :

P.S. I like the contrast of the black p'ups & control knobs, too.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Matt. We "used" to have the same guitar!
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can really tell on those clean tones. Not as much on the hi gain crunch, but still nicer. The clean tones really sound a lot nicer though.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been interested in the Screamin' Demon but I could never find a decent clip to hear what it sounds like. (Lynch always used way too much delay to get a good idea of the tone.) They sound pretty good. I like that it's not as high output as most other rock pickups tend to be. Thanks for the demo.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I've always been interested in the Screamin' Demon but I could never find a decent clip to hear what it sounds like. (Lynch always used way too much delay to get a good idea of the tone.) They sound pretty good. I like that it's not as high output as most other rock pickups tend to be. Thanks for the demo.
    No problem. If you would like me to try to work up some other demos, I'll be happy to do it. It sounds exactly like "my mind's ear" hoped it would.

If you'd go back into the archives you'd see plenty of threads where I refer to possible pickup combos to the point where I was losing my mind. Trying to pick a pup from specs and clips posted by awesome guitarists with awesome gear is maddening. The good news is that I could not be more pleased with the Demon and the Area 61s. My Floyd now sounds great and it looks hawt too IMO. A pickup and electronics swap made a world of difference. Now I can't put the darn thing down.

Here's a breakdown of the costs, in case anyone is interested (probably not). Applicable taxes and/or shipping is included:
    $149 Floyd Rose Discovery DST-3
    $25.27 for the switch, 500K push-pull pot, knob, and switch tip (all All Parts)
    $92.83 for the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon
    $125.98 for two Dimarzio Area '61s
    ---------
    $393.08 grand total

Mind you, I believe the guitar itself originally was selling for $399 at Musician's Friend. Obviously I did not charge myself for my time soldering it together. It was by far my most ambitious project to date and I'm simply tickled pink over it.

Post Thanks / Like

The distorted clip sounds so much better with the new pickup.

Nice and thick.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009