Thread: Uli J. Roth anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uli J. Roth anyone?

Uli is the best German guitarist there ever was. He was heavily influenced by Hendrix and he lived several years with Monika Dannemann Hendrix partner before he died. From her he inherited Hendrix black Isle of Wight Strat that remained untouched an unplayed in the case. I once had the chance to have a longer talk with Uli and he told me that there is still Jimi's last package of cigarettes in the case and still there are the original strings on the guitar.

Uli kind of invented the neoclassical style and he made it big times with the German rockband "Scorpions" in the US.

It is definitely worth chekcing out his videos on youtube. You will find two different kinds of music. His early 70s stuff is absolutely Hendrix drenched, his later stuff is neoclassical.

Watch his right hand work. No tension at all.

Roth is a true master and composer.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, Uli is great. You beat me to it, Jimi! I was going to post a thread like yours any day now...

Anyway, a long time ago, after I heard Yngwie talk about Uli, I checked out some Uli material. I've always liked him ever since. Super player. Poor singer (but who cares about that? ).
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Uli Jon Roth? Why yes thank you.... Great musician!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

He is great. I saw him live years back with the Scorpions.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Very talented player no doubt, but I have to say that I prefer Michael Schenkers playing when it comes to Scorpions.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Uli is awesome.

Here's a live version of Little Wing:

Dude has some killer chops. Yngwie stole SO much from Uli, but many people don't know it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!Robert you must be one of the few Sweds that does not play a scalloped neck.I will have to try one someday.He is a great player and that guitar of his is awesome also.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that guitar is not your regular strat. It's got, like 978 frets or sumthin... well, how about plenty of frets, to be more accurate.
    Almost sounds like a violin when he plays higher up.

I wanna learn that intro solo to Sails of Charon - it is so good! There is actually a lesson on this on youtube, by Uli himself. :