Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gibson Strings?

Thread: Gibson Strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson Strings?

Here's the problem: I don't like the sound of the strings I'm using for my SG, but I'm not sure which ones to use. I've tried a few different kinds, but haven't liked the sounds on them, the most recent being Elixirs (light .010-.046). Although I know enough about guitars in general, and about amps, I don't know anything about strings...

What sounds good with an SG?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, my subject.

Most cases I use these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL110/

I have them on my SG and I like them.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

i use d'addarios on my guitars to.....same strings as strums links for my lp and my tele....i like them....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I had elixir's (10-46) on my Maton from the factory and whilst I really loved the coating they use (strings are really slippery making for faster slides and less finger wear and tear), when they went a bit dull I switched back to my all time favourites, Ernie Ball Slinkys, and whilst my fingertips paid the price (it was like going from glass to sandpaper) I do think they sound better.

So....Slinkys is my vote until I find strings that feel like elixirs and sound like slinkys

http://store.ernieball.com/product/p...7.16795.5281.0

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

D'Addarios for sure. I go the the 9.5 set on all of my guitars. I have the odd 9 set on a couple of strats but they are all D'Addarios. I took the bright wires off my SG. I have had that guitar for almost 40 years and I have gone from Labella 8s to Gibson 11s and I settled on the D'Addario 9.5s they are a happy medium and they don't corrode as easy as others.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Oookay, so I'll probably be going with the D'Addarios, also because I saw that several pros, including Angus Young use them.

But there's another question, due to my incredible lack of knowledge about strings. What do the numbers mean? 9.5 D'Addarios? I'm not sure what the number signifies.

Thanks for the feedback thusfar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    ahhh, my subject.

Most cases I use these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL110/

I have them on my SG and I like them.
    Yup, D'Addario 10's are the DVM house brand, too. :

Quote Originally Posted by dws
    But there's another question, due to my incredible lack of knowledge about strings. What do the numbers mean? 9.5 D'Addarios? I'm not sure what the number signifies.
    The reference is to the diameter of the high E string in thousandths of an inch. 9.5's would denote a 0.0095" diameter for the high E string. A set of 10's would have a high E diameter of 0.010", etc. The rest are then proportionately larger. There are sets that come with non-standard diameter profiles on the larger strings, usually having bigger diameters to give more bass presence & authority. When referring to sets of this type, both the high E and low E diameters are listed, like "0.010 - 0.052".

Because different guitars have different scale lengths (e.g. most Fenders are 25.5" and most Gibsons are 24.75"), the same string diameter will need to have different tension to play at the same pitch. So you'd have to have more tension on the string on a 25.5" scale Strat to give the same pitch than if it was on a 24.75" scale Les Paul. That would make that string harder to bend on the Strat than the LP, because it's more taut. To compensate, some people prefer to run lighter strings on their longer scale guitars. For this reason, it's quite common for players to run 9's on their Strats and 10's on their LP's. More detail on the subject HERE, if you're interested.

P.S. FWIW, personally, I run 10's on all my guitars. I like the Fender types to feel & play differently than the Gibson types. To me, it's part & parcel of what makes them what they are....distinctly different from each other. :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

duhvoodooman that reeaaally helped. Thanks!

I think I'm going to buy a few different sizes of strings among one or two brands, one of them being D'Addario.

Also thanks for everybody else's imput. Everything helped.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think it was mentioned, but if I'm correct, the heavier the string gauge, the more you'll drive your pickups and the more sustain you'll get. (electric or acoustic)

Basically a thicker string means more metal to stimulate the magnetic field around the pole pieces in the pickups. This can result in more bass, more volume, and a "bigger" sound. It can also harshen up your sound a little. You'll get more sustain because you have more string mass vibrating and more vibrations transferred to the body of the guitar means more sustain

If I'm correct, this is why SRV used quite heavy strings. (11's or 12's maybe) when 9's were fashionable for a strat.

Oh and it might be obvious, but thicker strings are harder on your fingers (harder to bend). No issue for most guys I know, but I have heard some ladies prefer 9's on a strat for this reason.

Also if your a fan of dropped tunings, I've heard heavier strings are the go as they dont go as flabby when detuned.

Anyway, I might be totally wrong, but thought I should mention it just in case. Oh and FWIW I'm a fan of 10's on a Strat and as my Maton has the same scale length as a Strat (ahh the beauty of custom shops) it wears 10's too!

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames if this is all wrong though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe you are correct that SRV used large strings. My instructor and I were just discussing it. He pointed out, however, that SRV generally tuned down some which reduced string tension, so that it was not as over the top as people may think. Like a "normal" person using 11's, he estimated.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, SRV used 13's and tuned his guit to Eb. Probably resulted in feeling like 11's or 12's.

I have an Epi LP that I keep tuned to D. I use 12's on it and, at the lower pitch, they feel like 10's. I use D'Addario 10's on everything else.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of pros came by their string sets by accident. They break a string and the local guy only has 10s or 11s or they like smalls and bigs.
    By that I mean some guys like a thin unwound string and a thicker wound string. that do not come in a "Set" If you go to any of the String web sites you will see that strings come in different OD guage sets. Strings are usualy referred to by the high E string's guage and the rest come in a "standard" set of thickness or guages. You can vary that by buying different sets.
    This is an example.
    D'Addario
    EXL120+ Super Light Plus
    E .0095
    B .0115
    G .016
    D .024
    A .034
    E .044
    EXL110 Regular LIght
    E .010
    B .013
    G .017
    D .026
    A .036
    E .046
    You can see by going up only .5 in the High E the rest of the string guages change.
    If you went to a high E with a .013 guage the low e would be .056. That would take a strong set of fingers.
    Some people mix and match or order single strings in specific guages. It all depends on what you are playing, and I guess how tough your fingers are!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Gibson Vintage Reissue 10's on all of my guitars except my Warmoth strat...

Post Thanks / Like

I use D'Addario 10's, but I actually like the Brite Wires that the new Gibsons ship with.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.