Thread: pup height

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default pup height

I have a Godin SD a 24 3/4" scale HSS guitar.

I've been messing around with the pup heights. I've heard reccomendations of like 4/64"-8/64" as a good distance of a single coil to the strings.

Well the adjustment on mine won't let it anywhere near that close & the action is set pretty low.

Who the heck would want a middle pup that close to the strings?? It would totally get in the way of my pick or fingers.

They are pretty dang punchy up as high as they can go.

Are those numbers BS or are they for Alnico magnets or what?
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here is a rookie question, how do you adjust them?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Ok, here is a rookie question, how do you adjust them?
    There are screws on either side of the pups. Get a small watchmaker's type screwdriver & give them a spin & the pup will adjust on that side. Often the treble side is made to be closer to the strings.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    There are screws on either side of the pups. Get a small watchmaker's type screwdriver & give them a spin & the pup will adjust on that side. Often the treble side is made to be closer to the strings.
    And what it the objective - is it a tone adjustment? a volume adjustment?

Is there any danger of adjusting too much and the screw falls out or even worse, the pup?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    And what it the objective - is it a tone adjustment? a volume adjustment?

Is there any danger of adjusting too much and the screw falls out or even worse, the pup?
    Volume & tone adjustment.

Looky here:

http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/pickupheight.shtml

& yes, the screws on the bridge humbucker of my Godin SD have a tendency to come loose.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked the guide in my Guitar Player Setup Guide and found the recommended settings , Neck pickup 3/32" on treble side and Bass side too.
    Bridge pickup 1/16" on each side.
    The settings on Strats recommend 3/32" on treble and 1/8" on bass side.
    It sure can change the volume and tone too from what I have found. You know it's too close when you get a G or B that just won't seem to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Those measurements are beginning points. I found with my Area 61s that a) they are VERY sensitive to height adjustments and b) they sounded better to me far lower than suggested. I don't know the exact measurements. Judge with your ears, not your eyes. You don't want to get true single coils too close to the strings or you'll get the dreaded "Stratitis" warbling. You'll hear it.

As far as the pickups coming off, the screws on my Floyd's pickups are so long that the pickups would have to be over a 1/4" below the pickguard before they'd be in danger of coming off.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn