Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
SRV Sunday

Thread: SRV Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Default SRV Sunday

I was listening to a little "Riviera Paradise" this morning. Great way to start a Sunday. What's your favorite SRV tune? Post a vid if you can find one!

Stevie does a great job on this ACL clip, and Reese Wynan's keyboard solo is absolutely stunning.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

great tune....keeping it mellow here is "lenny"

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has to be his cover of Superstition (an unusual choice, I know, but hey)
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

My kind of Sunday!! So....how's the WEATHER??

Never mind the fantastic lead work--how'd you like to be able to play rhythm guitar like this???? Scary!!

Item of interest: Note how SRV changed guitars during the keyboard solo, and plays the ending using "Charlie", the white parts-o-caster with "lipstick tube" pickups handmade for him by Dallas music store owner and longtime supporter Charlie Wirz. Stevie wrote the tune "Life Without You" to commemorate Charlie's passing in 1985. I've seen him play this guitar in film clips of that song, but never saw it used for any of his other tunes. Cool to see it here....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Srv Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJnU44t8M8

"SAY WHAT"........the video sucks mostly but the audio is pristine and SRV gives his guitar a good wah pedal workout. Geez, what a genius he was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Never mind the fantastic lead work--how'd you like to be able to play rhythm guitar like this????
    his rhythm playing was lead!

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Item of interest: Note how SRV changed guitars during the keyboard solo, and plays the ending using "Charlie", the white parts-o-caster with "lipstick tube" pickups handmade for him by Dallas music store owner and longtime supporter Charlie Wirz. Stevie wrote the tune "Life Without You" to commemorate Charlie's passing in 1985. I've seen him play this guitar in film clips of that song, but never saw it used for any of his other tunes. Cool to see it here....
    i tried to look hard at the video....i wonder if he broke a string and that's why he used "charlie" during the middle of the song...

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i tried to look hard at the video....i wonder if he broke a string and that's why he used "charlie" during the middle of the song...
    Nope, apparently he just liked to do that on that tune during the keyboard solo. I have it on the DVD that came in the SRV box set, and he starts CSTW with "Number One" and switches to that same pale yellow Strat (a.k.a. "Scotch") that he starts this version with.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

cool....if you got'em...might as well play'em! :

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Great choices, all!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

My choice is the first one also.

I had no idea that he changed guitars during the tune. The things you learn while hanging out here.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Rip Dimebag Darrell,Stevie Ray Vaughan,and Randy Rhoads.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is still Couldn't stand the Weather as Voodooman already stated I like the funky parts and the fantastic start of the lead part :
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the SRV fans knew this but I just found out and was VERY surprised.

SRV was the session guitar player for David Bowies mid 80's hit China Girl and Lets Dance. Seems like such an odd pairing.