Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I Feel Naked and Off Balance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Feel Naked and Off Balance

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Feel Naked and Off Balance

I turn my head to look at the guitars sitting behind me and I see less (not the end of the world) and off balanced (more of a concern). I now have five guitars, but the numbers aren't important. What bothers me is the fact that I have an unbalanced selection. I have four Fender and Fender-ish guitars and one HB Semi-Hollow.

So, I think my next purchase will be well thought out to be something that will provide a different sound or balance the group of guitars that I own. Although I want a real Tele, I will probably go with an HB.

Looking at all the guitars that I bought and sold over the past 2+ years, I think the ARC300 is the only one I can reflect on and say "that was a mistake". If you buy and sell, most likely everyone has at least one of those. I figure I will eventually find another, or it's cheaper sister the ARC100. I could also eventually replace it with something that provides the same sound.

For now I guess I will focus on learning to play these things and let things happen a little more naturally. I know where there is a Tele or two if I get the $$$ and I'm sure I'll eventually find another HB guitar that will fill the void.

Unless a great deal comes along on a new guitar, I am committed to the used market going forward. And of course, as always, free is good.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I thought you were making pancakes.

I'd suggest slowing down with the purchases & play what you've got.

As you evolve you'll know what sound you are really looking for.

Of, course if you come across a really cool ax at a great price...
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Strum... you'll need to add "at least" a Gretsch w/TV Jones and Ric 12-string to your sound toolbox.
    Telecaster, Stratocaster, Les Paul, ES-335, 6120/TV Jones, Ric 12.

(Don't forget a decent selection of amps.)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Strum... you'll need to add "at least" a Gretsch w/TV Jones and Ric 12-string to your sound toolbox.
    Telecaster, Stratocaster, Les Paul, ES-335, 6120/TV Jones, Ric 12.

(Don't forget a decent selection of amps.)
    Hah, do you still have a house for sale on your street? I think that would be more economical.

It's funny that a Gretsch just popped up in two threads, because that is exactly what I started looking at after I started this thread.

Anyway, PM me your housing situation down there and your list of guitars (assuming you will let me play at least some of them) and I will determine the most economical direction. I think I better call North American Van Lines.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Sure... Ernie Southern's house is still for sale across the street from me. Even got a MIL converted into instrument storage & practice studio.

Post Thanks / Like

I was LOOKING at these (the low end). Always liked Gretsch for sound and they seem to be a form of art.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c591--Gret...itars/low2high

thinking a DC
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

If I were going in that direction today, (and determined to budget,) I'd opt for the 5122 Double-Cut and change out the pups to TV Classic PowerTrons.
    Just my input...

Post Thanks / Like

If I were going in that direction today, (and determined to budget,) I'd opt for the 5122 Double-Cut and change out the pups to TV Classic PowerTrons.
    Just my input...
    It's not so much "determined", but I do like the suggestion you offer.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

After all... who needs a Gretsch that doesn't sound like one?

Post Thanks / Like

Just my input...
    I can't tell from the photo's do you know if the body size is about the same as an ES335?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... and slightly deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

When you get around to scratchin' that humbucker itch and don't want to drop a lot of coin, here's a couple to consider:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    When you get around to scratchin' that humbucker itch and don't want to drop a lot of coin, here's a couple to consider:

Man, no one here makes it easy on a fellow fretter. The Rondo is too heavy, but I like the weight on the other (at least 2 lbs lighter). I also like the looks of the Guitarfetish better, but what about quality?

So, what's the scoop on these Guitarfetish guitars?

The Gretsch still takes front seat, but I will have to wait for a used one or would have to sell the American Strat (not really an option).
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Strum, my son Kodiak had my new guitar delivered to his house yesterday

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1693.html

He said that it was beautiful and had a fantastic sound and feel, it will be a couple of weeks before he brings it up to me, I excited as can be to get this.
    The Gretch you picked out is nice, I held one Thursday at a local store and just couldn't see putting that money out until I'm good enough to actually perform on stage. I know of other models I want too but I need a couple of different amps too. May need to give up some of the deer hunting toys to buy GAS treatments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Strum, my son Kodiak had my new guitar delivered to his house yesterday

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1693.html

He said that it was beautiful and had a fantastic sound and feel, it will be a couple of weeks before he brings it up to me, I excited as can be to get this.
    The Gretch you picked out is nice, I held one Thursday at a local store and just couldn't see putting that money out until I'm good enough to actually perform on stage. I know of other models I want too but I need a couple of different amps too. May need to give up some of the deer hunting toys to buy GAS treatments.
    If it is anything like my dot, you are going to love it. The semi-hollow is a sweet guitar.

Give up deer hunting toys? Never.

You had to know I wouldn't let that opportunity pass me by.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    So, what's the scoop on these Guitarfetish guitars?
    I'd consider taking a chance on one of those Xaviere guitars if Guitarfetish had a better return policy... but 10-days is not enough time to test drive any guitar. Pass!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd consider taking a chance on one of those Xaviere guitars if Guitarfetish had a better return policy... but 10-days is not enough time to test drive any guitar. Pass!
    I'm don't know if anyone here has owned one of these models.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket, I'm glad you pointed that out, that is a short time. I do like the GFS pickups and they sure do ship just when they say.

Strum, that is one hunting toy I won't give up, till she smacks my fingers off the rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Strum,

There's no rush on buying a new guitar. That bug will hit you when you least expect it. You'll pick the right one up and it will talk to you........................................take me home........take me home.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast