Thread: Another Wedding Gig...!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Wedding Gig...!

Coming up on the weekend, another wedding gig. A guy is singing this piece, and wants me to do the guitar part. Wish me luck....

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Rob.

And wear more than a tee shirt this time: Pants are always good!... yup, you can never go wrong with pants at a wedding
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Man I hope you don't have to play Proud Mary:

Oh yeah...Good Luck:

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did it. Phew! It was the toughest gig I've ever done... the guy singing was really good, and I wasn't so good with my playing. I had limited time to learn this tune, which I thought was easy when I first listened to it. I was wrong - it was bloody hard!

I felt a bit out of my comfort zone, but after a couple of times practicing the song with him, it went okay in the end. People were happy the performance, although I contribute most of that to the singer. He was real nice guy by the way.

The other wedding gigs I've done have been for redneck types (we all know the type), whereas this was a more sophisticated crowd. I could definitely feel the pressure! I'm glad it's over.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it's over for you, Rob, but I'm sure you played quite well.
    It's always difficult playing outside your comfort zone. I've done it, and was quite uncomfortable at the time.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Way to rise up and play out of your zone. Glad it went well!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, its good to challenge yourself once in a while.
    I´m sure that you will get more of these kind of gigs.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Well done. Take a bow. I love the guitar part in the Pavarotti/Sting vid. I bet it was "bloody hard".

Post Thanks / Like

glad you made it through it robert!...of course we knew you would!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Especially hard since I'm blues/jazz kinda guy. I really suck at playing that classical stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Especially hard since I'm blues/jazz kinda guy. I really suck at playing that classical stuff.
    yeah but most of the people listening wouldn't know if you made a mistake or not! :

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Robert!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, congrats Robert! Glad everything went well.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Well, I did it. Phew! It was the toughest gig I've ever done... the guy singing was really good, and I wasn't so good with my playing. I had limited time to learn this tune, which I thought was easy when I first listened to it. I was wrong - it was bloody hard!

I felt a bit out of my comfort zone, but after a couple of times practicing the song with him, it went okay in the end. People were happy the performance, although I contribute most of that to the singer. He was real nice guy by the way.

The other wedding gigs was for the redneck types (we all know the type), whereas this was a more sophisticated crowd. I could definitely feel the pressure! I'm glad it's over.

lol warren comes to mind with a lighter screaming "freeebiiird!": :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    lol warren comes to mind with a lighter screaming "freeebiiird!": :
    i am a recovering redneck....grew up in a small rural town....and believe it or not our class song (class of 1980) was freebird! :

ww