Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sat in Last Night With

Thread: Sat in Last Night With

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sat in Last Night With

Hot Rod Hullabaloo, a really, really cool rockabilly band. Got to play this axe too

thru a 20W Epi tube amp... oh so sweet. Did "Guitars, Cadillacs" by Dwight Yoakam, and a Yoakam/Elvis "Little Sister", complete with improvised leads and you know what?

I didn't suck

What a blast. Sorry no pics. Hands were full of Gretsch and beer :

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa Babbbbyyyyyyyy!!!! That had to be an awsome night. I was just looking at a guitar like that to put on my "Next" list and it's a front runner (maybe a cheaper version, but still a Gretsch).

So, tell us more. If you've got no pics, give us facts - we know how to read.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

That is the cheaper version!
    G5120 Electromatic: $599 at MF.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Trev! That musta been fun.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a lot of fun. All part of Humboldt's Summer Sizzler weekend. My wife was catering the gig. It was under the "big tent", but it was cool and rainy last night, so the turnout was pretty poor.

The keyboard player in our old band is big into sound reinforcement, staging and production now, so he was running sound. I know, or know of, the guys in the band, in fact I sat in with the drummer and bass player 5 or 6 years ago when they were in a rock cover band called The Flaming Sambuccas. That was my first time on stage with a real band in almost 15 yrs!!

I was drooling over that Gretsch... very rockabilly sounding rig, quite a bit different than my HB-30 with humbuckers, but I'm going to try to dial in that vibe. Very easy guitar to play, nice action (but Monty uses thin pics and I've become accustomed to thicker ones, oh well I can compromise . My wife was even quite taken by it, though not enough to say "You should buy another guitar" :

Other than that I drank too much Great Western Pilsner and had a blast "boppin' on the big dancefloor".
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time!

I'm quite fond of Gretsches as well.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to have a guitar like that someday. That mid level Gretsch seems a winner. Sounds like a GREAT night! Would have been fun to be there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That Gretsch is beautiful, though I do prefer the sound of the one with single coils to the humbuckers pictured.

A 5129 will be one of the first things I buy when I graduate.

Must have been much fun.