Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New trem blocks for import Strats

Post Thanks / Like

I've ordered the MIM Replacement Tremolo kit from Guitar Fetish and it should be here Christmas Eve. This is the tremolo with the solid steel block, which is supposed to really help the sustain and tone on my Squier Strat. I've also ordered a set of GFS Premium Texas Special Strat Pickups from Guitar Festish too and I'm really excited about the change of sound that these should make to my Squier.

Wish me luck guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    I've ordered the MIM Replacement Tremolo kit from Guitar Fetish and it should be here Christmas Eve. This is the tremolo with the solid steel block, which is supposed to really help the sustain and tone on my Squier Strat. I've also ordered a set of GFS Premium Texas Special Strat Pickups from Guitar Festish too and I'm really excited about the change of sound that these should make to my Squier.

Wish me luck guys!
    I was playing my SX SST with the P-90's yesterday, and I'm still elated at the tone that guitar produces since I put that steel block trem from GFS in it. The combination of the mahogany body, the maple neck, and that trem, really combines for this beautiful, sweet, ringing tone. I couldn't be happier with it.

I'm sure you're going to notice a big difference in your Squire bigoldron...:

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SST Mahogany

That Mahogany SX sounds like a nice P90 strat. I almost got one. Maybe if they come around again. I want to get the sss model. That bridge sounds worth getting. Did you have to do any carving?

I have been playing my Epi SG '66 Gibson std copy with covered humbuckers and it sounds great thru a tube amp, chimes like a strat and drives like an LP. Really nice guitar, sounds way better than the G-400 Epi's I tried. Definitely one of my best sounding guitars and all mahogany.

I have a Squire standard with duncan designed humbuckers and a mahogany body that also sounds great, two point tremolo makes using it a lot easier and subtly more accurate.

I need to check the Rondo site. Almost bought a junked out but great playing, great action and neck, Squire affinity tonight for 100. Got to thinking I could get one of those nice SX's for that price, new, unbeat. Put in some hot rails or power rails or texas staggers or something and have a real nice guitar. I might even try a set of gold Lace Sensors. But a set of GFS rails or Texas premiums sounds great at a much lower price.

Be great to hear how the Texas GFS pickups sound.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

I did have to rout the trem cavity a bit, Duff. I took out about 1/8"-3/16" from the high E side of the cavity to get enough clearance and to make the rout symetrical with the clearance at the other end. If you don't have a router, you could easily do it with half round and rat tail files. A Dremel tool would be a big help as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I did have to rout the trem cavity a bit, Duff. I took out about 1/8"-3/16" from the high E side of the cavity to get enough clearance and to make the rout symetrical with the clearance at the other end. If you don't have a router, you could easily do it with half round and rat tail files. A Dremel tool would be a big help as well.
    Do you think I'll have to do any routing on my Squier? From what I've heard, it should be a drop-in. Guess we'll find out soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think I'll have to do any routing on my Squier? From what I've heard, it should be a drop-in. Guess we'll find out soon!
    From what I've heard, it is a drop in, but I have no first hand experience there.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz, I did have to do a little routing on the bass side. This IS a Squier Strat and not a Fender MIM Strat, so there may be a little variation there. But, a little routing and it dropped right in. The only problem, and it may not be one, is that the steel block sticks out the back of the body. I can't put the cover on because of the steel block.

I may just leave it like that or try to engineer a cover with a shim around the edges to give it enough clearance. The sustain does sound better! I'm still trying to get the action like I want it, but I'll get her there.

Overall quality of the trem kit does seem to be very good. Maybe a MIM or MIJ Strat body is a little thicker so the protruding block won't be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz, I did have to do a little routing on the bass side. This IS a Squier Strat and not a Fender MIM Strat, so there may be a little variation there. But, a little routing and it dropped right in. The only problem, and it may not be one, is that the steel block sticks out the back of the body. I can't put the cover on because of the steel block.

I may just leave it like that or try to engineer a cover with a shim around the edges to give it enough clearance. The sustain does sound better! I'm still trying to get the action like I want it, but I'll get her there.

Overall quality of the trem kit does seem to be very good. Maybe a MIM or MIJ Strat body is a little thicker so the protruding block won't be a problem.
    It sounds like your Squire body is a little on the thin side, like the Affinity Strat is. I had an after market Strat body that was like that, and I ground the trem block down until it was below flush with the back of the body. It was a bit of work to do, but it solved the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like your Squire body is a little on the thin side, like the Affinity Strat is. I had an after market Strat body that was like that, and I ground the trem block down until it was below flush with the back of the body. It was a bit of work to do, but it solved the problem.
    From the serial number on the Squier, I've pretty much determined it's an Affinity series. Right now, I'm leaving it as is - REALLY don't want to start grinding on the trem block. I may contact Guitar Fetish and get their two cents on it.

Post Thanks / Like

From the serial number on the Squier, I've pretty much determined it's an Affinity series. Right now, I'm leaving it as is - REALLY don't want to start grinding on the trem block. I may contact Guitar Fetish and get their two cents on it.

Leave the cover off
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Leave the cover off
    Will it hurt the sustain if the trem block's touching my stomach?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea it might not be good if it sticks out to far and is in the way Just giving you crap but even though I have a shit load to do you know im full of anticipation of coming home to Georgia or wherever we land: (1 vote Georgia )
    Last edited by mrmudcat; January 1st, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trem block

I would probably use my portable grinder and place the block in a vise and make a mark with a permanent marker and grind it down to where it will fit with a small amount of clearance. I don't think this will affect tone in any significant way. What other effect grinding might have I don't know, but I don't think there are anythings special on the bottom of the block.

An excellent option would be to make that permanent marker line and bring the block to a automotive machine shop and have them professionally grind it down for you with really high quality smooth equipment.

I am quite experienced with a grinder, grinding down weld joints, grinding many things. I can get a nice smooth even grind, most of the time; but it is easy to not get an even line and have it look messed up. That is where the automotive machine shop that does "heads" and things like that will be able to do a perfect job for next to nothing, possibly free.

Hope this helps you. Might as well have it right. If the block contacts anything it is going to mute it, to some unknown extent. I'd have it ground down without hesitation and put it in right.

Good luck with it and I'd like to hear how it turns out because I might order one with my next GFS order.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Will it hurt the sustain if the trem block's touching my stomach?
    Well, if you have rock hard ABS, it might just help the sustain....

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you have rock hard ABS, it might just help the sustain....
    Check my avatar - not happenin'. You remember the old Special K "pinch an inch" ad campaign? I'm more of the "here, have a handful..." type.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234