Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New trem blocks for import Strats

Post Thanks / Like

Default New trem blocks for import Strats

Guitar Fetish has produced a steel tremolo block that fits the 10.5mm spacing of Asian and Mexican tremolos.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sosttrblfima.html

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I got one in "out for delivery" status as I type! :
    Got it for my 50s vibe Strat.
    I'll let you know what I think.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal Dauntless. A official report will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that is long overdue

Thanks Spud:

M29

Post Thanks / Like

$19! That's a freakin' bargain!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Man that is long overdue

M29
    No kidding. I tried getting a petition going to get Callaham to start doing them and he refused and was going to soak me $160 to custom make one for me.
    I'm glad Jay at Guitar Fetish has good business sense. Think about how many guitars that are out there that these will fit. It's a no brainer if you ask me. There is no way to loose money by making them. It is the one upgrade to many of these guitars that will make a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid question since it says Asian models included, but this should fit the Fully strat, yes?

---To answer my own question, I found the screw spacing measurements at GFS and they are indeed the same...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I know there are a number of Squier '51 lovers here and the new rage for that is this bridge. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...245191696&rd=1

I have no affiliation with the seller but over on The Squier '51 Modders Forum this bridge is really catchin on.
    Maybe Jay could be persuaded to get some of these closer to home. :

I know of one Squier Strat that will get the new steel trem block and I am already spreading the word.

Again Thanks Spud.

M29

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The question is how good it is, compared to what Callaham would produce?

For $19, I'm skeptic until I hear a few people saying it really is good quality.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Stupid question since it says Asian models included, but this should fit the Fully strat, yes?

---To answer my own question, I found the screw spacing measurements at GFS and they are indeed the same...
    That was my question too. Good to know the spacing is the same.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    The question is how good it is, compared to what Callaham would produce?

For $19, I'm skeptic until I hear a few people saying it really is good quality.
    It's just a block of steel with holes in it. What's the difference? $19 is OK in my book for anything better than what is on the trem right now. Besides Callaham wont make them.

From the product description:

For those of you who have been waiting for these- Told ya we'd do it!!

A real SOLID STEEL tremolo block with vintage-correct dimensions- BUT... Fits the thin, cheesy "Made in Mexico" and all of the Made in Asia trems.

Why bother replacing your block?? As you can see from the photo- the stock block on all of the imports is a thin, lightweight Zinc trem block with very, very little mass.

In addition they use a fatter trem arm thread- not like the old fashioned trems- so the whole balance and feel is off. To make matters even worse the ball ends of the strings sit right up top of the block, close to the trem plate- That means almost none of the string vibration is channeled through the block, resulting in thin, weak tone and terrible sustain.

The GFS block is made from REAL Solid steel- Lead-free ROHS compliant steel- When you bang it with a screwdriver it goes "PING" and not "thunk...". The ball ends sit close to the BOTTOM of the block just like my 63, and it ONLY takes a USA standard 10-32 thread trem arm. (Sorry, your Chinese arm WILL NOT FIT)

The result is a total transformation of your guitar for UNDER TWENTY BUCKS!! Come on!! Sustain is increased noticeably, tone is like NIGHT AND DAY, even tuning stability is just a hair better. You can't NOT buy this!!

Look- there's a cottage industry of guys hand making these in the USA, with prices two, three or even four times higher than we charge. I've bought them all. These sound and feel just as good- there...I said it.

You get the block as pictured. Your stock mounting screws fit PERFECTLY, just reuse them. You will need a USA sized arm- If you have one from any vintage or modern screw-arm Strat, you're all set- if not we sell them cheap too... Just unscrew your saddles, unscrew the old block and screw the GFS unit in it's place- THAT'S IT!! be VERY careful when screwing the new block on- real steel will always have a touch of oxidation on the threads so you'll need a little bit of pressure, but they thread nice and tight and once secure- it's like a single block of metal!

These are black electrocoated to fend off rust. (Silver paint looks cool but paint tends to dampen vibration a bit, and hence tone and sustain are very slightly affected)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are right Spudman.... I'm just sceptic by nature. Steel prices have gone up all over the world lately, so the $19 sounds very cheap.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I just mounted my new block to the bridge plate of my Vintage Vibe 50s Strat and had to use mount screws from an old Mex Fender 70s Strat block, that I had laying around, as the scews from the Squier were to long by a couple 64ths or so.
    :
    Just giving you all a heads up!

Other than that niggle, perfect fit so far.
    Getting ready to put the saddles back on, string her up and set her up.
    -Stuart Wilde-

-Maslow-

-Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty then.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news, the trem bar does not line up!
    Didn't notice it till I started putting the saddles on.
    String holes line up but the trem bar hole is off center toward the back of the plate. Kinda follows the American pattern

I suspect it would probably fit a Mexican Fender or an MIJ but it does not fit my Squier:

Hell, it sounded good without the steel anyway.
    -Stuart Wilde-

-Maslow-

-Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

I was on another forum today (I should probably work more!) and Jay from GuitarFetish basically said that his are terrific quality and should be a major upgrade to stock but went on to say that Callaham makes the best. Maybe it's the grade of steel (?) that sets the higher priced ones apart?
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW my 60s Strat has the MIM Callaham block and it's simply a work of art. Everything fits and lines up and it looks "professional". Of course he makes them for both American and MIM trems so yeah they'd definately work. I don't have any more Squiers so I don't know how those trems are designed in terms of measurement and alignment. I'd expect the GF dude to create a solid steel block that would fit ANY Squier, including the whammy bar hole. At $19 a shot it would be a dream come true.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

On the FDP another fellow has had the same issues with the screw depth. NOt only were the screws too long but the depths varied by 1/2 of the overal screw length. I am wondering what kind of research is being done by Guitar fetish. They may be cheap but it has to work. 20 dollar paperweights are highly overated.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say the Trem bar hole does not line up do you mean the hole for the tremelo arm. I read somewhere that the thread is different, so you would need to use an american threaded arm.
    I don't use the trem arm so it would work for me?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast