Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Playing without effects.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing without effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Playing without effects.

I have been playing some without any effects other than the built in verb in my C-30, and changing between channels and I have to say, it is a lot of fun! It seems like I can hear a lot more of what my pick is doing on the strings and the amp seems awfully expressive just by itself. Picking a little harder, or digging in just a bit harder goes a long way, then backing off sounds oh so sweet. I know Plank has spoken many times about learning to play your amp, especially a tube amph. Other good players here have said the same thing, Tone and Spud come to mind. I don't know what I am doing and I am just messing around with it, but it sure is fun!

Any thoughts on some specific things to try as I play around?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I try to do that regularly too for some variety. After all, plugging straight into the amp for different sounds is far cheaper than buying new pedals/guitars etc

The only downside is the old "H'mm I wonder if this would sound better with new tubes/speaker/caps or whole new amp...."

I'm going through that phase now with my Peavey as I've had the same tubes in it for around 10 years now and I'm wondering if spashing out on some "botique" 12ax7's and 6L6's would make a difference.....

Post Thanks / Like

I think that every guitar player runs through a phase where he just plain plugs into the amp without any effects. It's the most pure way and to in my opinion it delivers the best sound because the signal doesn't get effected - except you have all pedals true bypass.

Anyways, I made the same experience years back when playing a Fender Bassman in our showroom. Plugged in directly and heard my playing from a completely different angle.

Generally, I hardly use effects and love the pure sound the most.

Learning to play your amph, well that is the TRUTH.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know enough about playing to give any pointers but as the years have gone by I've tended to really limit my use of effects. At this point pretty much the only effects box I use is a distortion pedal, for playing with my non-master volume amphs, and with my Sovtek I don't even need that.

I do have a nice solid Ernie Ball volume pedal, but that's not really an effects box.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't use any effects.

What I will add is a clean boost, occaisionally a touch of overdrive (from my Timmy &/or Duncan Twin Tube), & very very rarely some compression.

No verb, chorus, delay, phazer, fuzz.

If my Fender Champion 600 had built-in reverb or tremolo I'd probably use a touch of that now & again.

I view my effects progression as backwards from Sun's. I start with little or no effects (I can hear what I am playing & understand the dynamics better) & am slowly moving toward adding small touches of effects. I prefer transparent effects that are good at minimally changing the tone. I use effects more for fullness or for pushing the front end of my amp.

This is a beginner's perspective.

On the other hand, if I am playing power chords then it's no holds barred.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have been playing some without any effects other than the built in verb in my C-30, and changing between channels and I have to say, it is a lot of fun! It seems like I can hear a lot more of what my pick is doing on the strings and the amp seems awfully expressive just by itself.
    Much wisdom is coming to you Grasshopper.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm just "playing", I like going commando, as it were, straight into the amp. I have to get myself a nice little tube combo so I can really play with the nuances though. I can get some nice tones out of the Bandit, but nowhere near what I've heard test driving a Fender Twin or Bassman RI at my local music emporium.

If I'm doing "homework" and learning new material for the band, then I'm trying to find whatever amp model and effects I need to get a close approximation to the original song.

Yep. A 30 or 40W tube amp is on my radar...
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman

we definetly need these as regular smilies.

what do ya say robert?

Post Thanks / Like

As far as things to try goes, get to know your volume and tone controls on your guitar.

I've found myself playing very dry lately too, mainly because I've been auditioning pickups so I didn't want anything else coloring the signal. When I get in a rut, I bust out my EX-7 and put it on the Univibe, A/DA, or Space Station models and go crazy for a bit.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    If I'm just "playing", I like going commando, as it were, straight into the amp.
    Heh, heh, I just "borrowed" that line my friend!

I'm telling you, these C-30s are a great bang for your buck in that category. And for your primary styles of music, I think a good fit.

Good thoughts Trev and tot, thanks! I may re-approach my amph and effects along your paths a bit.

Marnold, also good tips. I am using my volume knob more, but still tend to ignore my tone knobs.

Jimi, Spud, everyone else, thanks for the support and encouragement. I learn a lot here.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I love mid-wattage tube amphs. Powerful enough to play in a band sitch, and to do small-to-mediumish size venues un-mic'd if necessary, yet able to get some breakup without deafening people.

All my tube amps are in that general range (Super Reverb 40W, Sovtek 50W, Sunn 200S 60W).

Post Thanks / Like

When Im playing "commando" (LOL, Im stealing that line as well! LOL) the only effects I use is the amps built in reverb effect with a just smidgen of delay.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I had a gig over the weekend where I decided not to bring my ridiculous pedal board but just a few individual pedals...my Barber Direct Drive and LTD. I even brought a fresh battery just in case.

When I went to set up I discovered that someone had scavenged the battery out of my LTD pedal so I put my spare in that one. As soon as we played the first song the battery in my Direct Drive croaked...

Since you have to unscrew the back to change batteries on those pedals I figured I would try toughing it out without my favorite pedal. This was me trying to get back to basics, right?

All I am going to say is that it was tougher than I thought it would be...

Post Thanks / Like

Stripping away everything is always interesting. I know this is a thread primarily about amps and how to use them to their potential, but has anyone tried finger-picking a nylon string guitar unplugged?

It has that organic quality to it. Natural warmth, natural sounds. . . You can learn a lot about your playing in much the same way as going amp-commando.

Just my tuppence. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    has anyone tried finger-picking a nylon string guitar unplugged?

It has that organic quality to it. Natural warmth, natural sounds. . . You can learn a lot about your playing in much the same way as going amp-commando.
    a long time ago in college i dated a girl who was a classically trained guitarist....i was always amazed at how she could make that classical guitar with the huge wide neck and nylon strings sound....it would take my breath away! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I love nylon-string sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    a long time ago in college i dated a girl who was a classically trained guitarist....i was always amazed at how she could make that classical guitar with the huge wide neck and nylon strings sound....it would take my breath away! :

ww
    Maybe some of the stolen-breath effect was due to the fact that she was going commando.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Maybe some of the stolen-breath effect was due to the fact that she was going commando.
    Or maybe she had one of those guitar racks we've grown so fond of.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe she had one of those guitar racks we've grown so fond of.
    that she did!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I play clean a lot so that I know I am playing correctly and cleanly and then add distortion if the mood strikes, but I would say it's minimal.

And then, sad to say, I sometimes play with no effect.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast