Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squier '51 Humbucker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier '51 Humbucker

I have heard rumors that the 3 different types of Squier '51s have different sounding humbuckers that the blonde version sounds more aggressive and the black has more twang... is this true... anybody experence this?

This information could enhance or ruin my next project for a friend.
    Last edited by Bigbear; October 23rd, 2005 at 02:13 PM. Reason: I can't spell, b'y

Post Thanks / Like

good question... I noticed most that get the Blonde on Harmony Central are saying they will change the Pickups while the Blacks and Sunburst usually like the sound? covers are different we know this... anxious to learn more on this topic.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hear what Robert R. has to say.

I don't know what kind of pickup the 51's have but if they're anything like the standard humbuckers Fender used to use...they really sound great. I once had an American HH hardtail Stratocaster with the two humbuckers and man that thing sounded sweeeeet. Had clear transparent tone...it let the sound of the wood come through nicely yet the pickups were lively and very toney. It would be interesting to find out if the pickups are different on the various colored guitars. I know Robert's sound pretty good.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be surprised if the different color models have different pickups - it doesn't really make sense. I have never heard of this before. If they do in fact use different pickups depending on color of guitar, I'd call them "otroligt knäppa i huvudet!".

The humbucker is great on my Blackie! It has really nice edgy sound that isn't over the top. Some buckers can be too gainy and too much output, but this one is great. I will not change it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

i have discovered that the plant where the '51 was manufactured was changed mid model year... thats why some don't have black pickguards... the pickup manufacture also changed then... they are same blueprinted pickups but i think materials may have been substituted somewhere.

When comparing two 51 humbuckers at the shop i have found that one actually reads higher for resistivity, can't tell you if its a newer or later model though, just old pickups left around from past jobs done
    Last edited by Bigbear; March 15th, 2006 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot some things

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard, that's one of the problems with the Squier series. Fender does not feel the need to be consistent with what parts they use for anything.

Having said that (speaking of Fender-produced humbuckers), when I got my Fender Showmaster Celtic H, I was figuring that I was going to have to replace the humbucker. After all, The name "Fender" doesn't exactly bring the phrase "quality humbucking experience" to mind. However, I've been quite pleased with the Atomic II 'bucker in there. It is VERY hot, surprisingly hot, 16.4K impedence to be exact. My only complaint with it is that it is so hot, that I have to be careful with my AD30VT or the clean channels will overdrive slightly. That's why I've got the plans for my Charvel tele. I'll have one guitar with a hot humbucker and one with a couple of nice single-coils.

In case anyone wonders or cares, I found out that the only difference between the Atomic I and Atomic II is the string spacing.
    Last edited by marnold; March 16th, 2006 at 09:24 AM.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have never heard of this before. If they do in fact use different pickups depending on color of guitar, I'd call them "otroligt knäppa i huvudet!".
    Jag kan inte annat än att hålla med dig
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hey no talking in another language unless you teach us the bad words.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, what do you want to learn today?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Teach us how to say "put all the money in the bag." Sweden has an economy right?

Oh, and I often wondered why some pickups sound good and some not on the same model guitar.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we make a lot of money on americans buying stuff on IKEA.

"Stoppa alla pengarna i påsen"

Post Thanks / Like

Now I understand The Flower Kings song Ikea By Night.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

yea... i suspected it... its not the different colored guitars that sound different... thats what some folks thought before, but actually its just the newer and older model of that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Yes, we make a lot of money on americans buying stuff on IKEA.

"Stoppa alla pengarna i påsen"
    I don't have a bag.

(I don't speak Swedish, but I do have a Swedish friend! )

Post Thanks / Like

There is two swedes here, me and Robert.. but Robert has deserted to Canada.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I get more gigs in Canada than in Sweden.

Hey, cool - see the ads show Swedish stuff. Go Sweden! Heja Sverige!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent seen that Robert....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    There is two swedes here, me and Robert.. but Robert has deserted to Canada.
    My buddy lives in Jonkoping...We've known each other though another forum for about three years...We chat every morning (for me!) on MSN...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool.. I live 4 (metric) miles from there..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast