Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally..first take from the Metal CD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally..first take from the Metal CD

Hey Folks,

It's been a 10 month search for a singer, auditioning quite a bunch of people. Some were good, but they didn't fit characterwise and then last friday we found the guy who fits and who's got the "balls" to lay down the vocals and lead the band on stage.

The entire CD is instrumentally recorded already.
    We started now laying out the vocal lines and melodies. Hard work. This is a rough rough rough take, our singer was little nervous and at some points a little flat, but we think in 4-6 months the CD is ready and the he will sing just perfectly for the band.

Monday we will meet our producer and from there on we will see what's gonna happen.

Would like to hear if you like it, also if you are not into Metal...

http://www.box.net/shared/fhoi80944w

Thanks for your feedback.

Jimi75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

truthfully i'm not really a metal fan....but....the singer seems to have good voice control with quite a vocal range....i felt the lead guitar got lost in the mix a few times....just my 2 (play at home only, hack) two cents!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

RAWK! What did you use to get your tones? Brutal, man!

Incidentally, my daughter started headbanging as soon as she heard the opening notes.

This is what good metal is all about. Variety in vocals, time changes, shredilicious guitars, speed and aggression, but with a sense of melody.

I'd buy this track as is - your singer has nothing to worry about! :
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Hey Folks,

It's been a 10 month search for a singer, auditioning quite a bunch of people. Some were good, but they didn't fit characterwise and then last friday we found the guy who fits and who's got the "balls" to lay down the vocals and lead the band on stage.

The entire CD is instrumentally recorded already.
    We started now laying out the vocal lines and melodies. Hard work. This is a rough rough rough take, our singer was little nervous and at some points a little flat, but we think in 4-6 months the CD is ready and the he will sing just perfectly for the band.

Monday we will meet our producer and from there on we will see what's gonna happen.

Would like to hear if you like it, also if you are not into Metal...

http://www.box.net/shared/fhoi80944w

Thanks for your feedback.

Jimi75
    It's wonderful..

A bit over produced at times.. and I mean that in a loving way.. it just seems it should be a bit more 'raw' ...

If that makes any sense..

Great recording!

Post Thanks / Like

Loved it!!!!!!

If I was being really super picky I'd maybe say the vocals stand out from the mix a bit too far, but that could be just a case of me wanting to hear the guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Loved it!!!!!!

If I was being really super picky I'd maybe say the vocals stand out from the mix a bit too far, but that could be just a case of me wanting to hear the guitars

Thank you so much for your nice comments!
    The vocals are so much in front because the material isn't mastered nor mixed.

As the vocalist is new, we made the vocals louder to be able to get used to the vocals faster and to have a better basis to work on them for the final productoin and mastering.

Greetz
    Jimi

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jimi,
    I suspected that might be the case, but I wanted to be as honest as possible in my feedback Even so, it still sounds killer

Oh and I forgot to mention before, I really like the combination of vocal styles. I'm probably not explaining it well, but the mix of hardcore style and death style if u know what I mean. (haha even if u dont just keep doing what u guys are doing )

I gotta say, I didn't figure you for a metal fan after your comment that the sound on my fuzz demo was uncivilized, but I stand seriously corrected

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi, I can't honestly say that metal is my favourite genre, but it sounded good and well performed. Especially knowing that it hasn't been mastered or even mixed! I really liked the mellower, melodic parts. The solo is great! Thanks for posting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the instrumental guitar quite a bit, even though I am not much of a fan of this kind of metal. As the others said, the varieties in the music and melody was really nice. I have trouble enjoying this style of vocals, but he seems to have talent in delivering them, and it will sound good when he is mixed and mastered in with the rest of the guys. Really, really nice work.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it a lot too, even the brief moments of Cookie Monster. I think a real mix will help it quite a bit for the balance that was mentioned and to make the guitars a bit more (to quote Nathan Explosion) brutal.

I'm Rev. Rawk, and I approved this recording.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I liked it a lot too, even the brief moments of Cookie Monster.

LOL!!!!! I have never heard that expression, and will undoubtedly chuckle to myself when I hear that style of vocal from now on.

That style vocal is not what I am into much, but it seems well done here, esp. because the guy is so versatile and mixes it up so much.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'd qualify as not into metal, but say this:

The dude can really sing. Flat out.

The recording quality is really good.

The solo smokes.

The double time riffage at the end rocks hard.

Jimi, you are one diverse musician dude, and that's very cool. Rock on! :
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome! Wicked solo, Jimi! How did you record the guitars?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa! Nice track Jimi!

I love your guitar on this one
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great man. The only constructive criticism I can make is that recording agressive vocals is much easier if you run the mic into a hardware compressor (not plugin) before it hits the recording interface. Set it as low as possible. That will keep the vocals from peaking when he gets going and save a potentially great track. That's just my opinion as a do it yourself recorder. Good luck to you guys.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi, like many of the others, it's not really my style. Having said that, I mean this next comment to be a compliment. My son is very much into that style, and your song is as good if not better than most of the crap he listens to.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Jimi, like many of the others, it's not really my style. Having said that, I mean this next comment to be a compliment. My son is very much into that style, and your song is as good if not better than most of the crap he listens to.:
    Haha, I sooooooo bet thats what your father said about you at some point...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I am a little bit overwhelmed by your comments! Also most here of you are not into Metal it makes me happy to see that you give me an objective feedback.

As I said, this is a proforma recording. The final result will sound like a good CD you buy in a cd store.

We recorded everything with Logic, but that is the technical part. My bandmates have more stuff going for the recording like preamps, compressors, Mindprints and a huge mixing board from Yamaha.

The guitar sound is recorded with two "amps" at the same time. A lower distorted sound of the JCM 800 Model of the Line6 PoD XT Professional and higher distorted sound with the Rectifier Model of the Line6 Flextone II Head. Bith sounds have been connected through a Lehle A/B Buffer Switcher and the solos were recorded with the same set up, but only with an Ibanez TS9 in front - only clean boost. We used a Demeter 1x12 recording box for all guitars.

All rhythms were played with my ESP Eclipse I, all Solos with my ESP Mirage DLX, for this track the low E String was dropped to C#, the guitar is generally tuned a half step below E.

Greetz
    Jimi

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that last post Jimi.
    I do love to read about all the work that goes into getting a good track down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast