Thread: Popping amp when turning off :(

Post Thanks / Like

Default Popping amp when turning off :(

I have a lowly Peavey Bandit 112 (its not that bad for a SS, honest!). I actually quite like the sound of it when playing heavier riffs.

Only problem is, regardless of what I seem to do, it pops like a good 'un when I turn it off after playing. Sometimes though, it doesnt seem as bad.

Is this normal, or is there a sneaky way to get it not to pop?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that on my AD30VT a couple of times. It seems if the kids turn the fan on in the one bathroom, it will pop when they turn off the fan. That I can understand, but later when I turn the amp off, it will happen again. It only seems to happen when someone turns the fan on - strange.

I know someone here can explain it, but I would pay attention to see if anything out of the ordinary happens on those occasions it pops. The only thing I've been able to do is make sure I turn master volume and the other volume (does it have a name) all the way down before turning it off. It may still be popping, but at least I don't hear it.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Roll the pots off before you switch it.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Roll the pots off before you switch it.
    huh
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    huh
    For Strum: Turn all the knobby thingies down to zero before pressing the o-n / o-f-f switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    For Strum: Turn all the knobby thingies down to zero before pressing the o-n / o-f-f switch.
    Right. See same thing, just different lingo
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an Ampeg BA115 bass amp a few months ago through Craigslist. When I went to check it out the owner told me that the only problem with it was that it pops when turning off. It actually was a pop and the sound of capacitor discharging. I was wary, but the price was good so I took it home.

Since then I've been told by several people that their amps do the same thing. One said his amp has been doing that for years and is still going strong. So far my Ampeg is working fine too except for the pop.

Post Thanks / Like

My TM60 pops unless it has been on for more than about half an hour. I suspect it's in the power supply, maybe an imbalance in the smoothing capacitors.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

The Bandit 112 is a cool amp...Peavey's transtube series was one of the best innovations in solid-state amps.

Alot of solid-states "pop" when you turn them off....I remember my first amp (a Fender Deluxe 85 that I bought in the 80's was notorious for that). Like others have said, the best way to avoid that is to turn down the volume knob on your guitar or amp the whole way down before shutting the amp off.

Although it's annoying, I don't think it does anything to harm the amp.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Turning the knobs down seems to be pot luck, sometimes it makes no difference

Nevermind, as long as its not unheard of for amps to do it

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I noticed that on my AD30VT a couple of times. It seems if the kids turn the fan on in the one bathroom, it will pop when they turn off the fan. That I can understand, but later when I turn the amp off, it will happen again. It only seems to happen when someone turns the fan on - strange.

I know someone here can explain it, but I would pay attention to see if anything out of the ordinary happens on those occasions it pops. The only thing I've been able to do is make sure I turn master volume and the other volume (does it have a name) all the way down before turning it off. It may still be popping, but at least I don't hear it.
    I have the same thing happen with fans on my amp.

it I think It has to be a ground problem with circuitry and what not.

while I'm at it I got a question of my own....
    WHen I'm in my room with the telephone I can hear the numbers dialing through my amp. whats up with that?

Post Thanks / Like

while I'm at it I got a question of my own....
    WHen I'm in my room with the telephone I can hear the numbers dialing through my amp. whats up with that?
    It's a speaker phone!!

Seriously, every once in a while with certain amps (especially solid states for some reason), I used to hear the radio being picked up too through the amp. Not sure why that happens, but it can happen once in a while.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Popping

My new Delta Blues, Peavey, pops lately when I turn it off. I checked everything I could think of but you guys, as usual, have given me some more things to check. I have a fan plugged into the same power strip. Might be related.

My gut feeling is that it is a ground problem of some sort.

Probably should check it on a dedicated grounded extension cord before taking it in for warranty repair, if covered under the warranty.

Duff

My cell phone always chirps thru my tube amps every time the system checks in with the phone but the phone is within four feet of the amp and inches of the guitar cable.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

My Fender Champion 30 pops when I turn it off with the switch on the back, but doesn't when I power it off at the powerstrip.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid I had a Peavey Bandit 65 that would make a farting noise when youd turn it off, and not like a "farty speaker" but more like the dog just cut the cheese...it didnt matter what volume it was at, it was the same everytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    My new Delta Blues, Peavey, pops lately when I turn it off. I checked everything I could think of but you guys, as usual, have given me some more things to check.

My gut feeling is that it is a ground problem of some sort.
    They all do that. Usually switching to a different channel will keep the pop to a minimum. I'm not sure which channel is the culprit. It's either that or try turning down the reverb before turning it off. It's just a characteristic of those Peavey tube amphs.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great

Great to know Spud. I won't worry about bringing it in for service.

However, I have noticed a buzz coming from the amp, especially on lower notes, any volume.

When I press against the magnet it stops. So I braced the magnet with some pressure with some wood and wood shims. Totally buzzless.

First, before solving the prob with the cob job, I tightened all of the speaker nuts inside the cab. No change.

Maybe I should take off the grill and see what I find. I suspect a gasket or loose bolts holding on the electronics components box that the transformers are attached to and the tubes come out of.

I'm thinking there are securing screws inside the front behind the grill cover that I can tighten up.

This, however, does not explain why pressure on the magnet from bottom toward the top would do anything other that to put pressure outward on the speaker mounting board that the electronics control box is screwed onto, possibly taking up enought slack to stop the vibrating that causes the buzzing.

Duff

Probably should make this a new thread.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your speaker baffle, you could probably snug that up on the sides of the amp(those screws)...or you may even have tube rattle, its not that uncommon among tube amps with some decent low end.