Thread: Robert Johnson by Rory Block

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robert Johnson by Rory Block

I have found this beautiful interpretation of Robert's "Crossroad Blues" on the tube, by female guitarist Rory Block. She's pretty popular here in Europe.

Check the tube for the her interpretation of R.J.'s "Ramblin' on my mind", where she explains the technique about 2 minutes before she actually starts to play the song.

I find this video great, because it's hard to find people who come that close to R.J. and offer us the opportunity to see how great his technique really was.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, Jimi.: I've been hearing her alot on Sirius radio, esp. "Come on in my kitchen" and other R.J. tunes. But I've never seen her until now, I always get home on the weekend and get busy and forget to look for a vid of her.:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yea she is good,I have a tape of her The Power of Delta Blues Guitar bought it back in 1989 Homespun Tapes put it out.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I actually got to see her play and sing in Nashville back in 07 one night in Nashville, she is really great to see.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a complete dvd of her teaching the music of the late great Robert Johnson.

Amazon Link Thingie
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

She also did a complete cd of RJ covers

Another Amazon Link Thingie

Track Listings
    1. Cross Road Blues
    2. Preaching Blues (Up Jumped The Devil)
    3. Milkcow's Blues
    4. Walkin' Blues
    5. 32-20 Blues
    6. Ramblin' On My Mind
    7. Terraplane Blues
    8. Me And The Devil Blues
    9. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    10. Come In My Kitchen
    11. Hellhound On My Trail
    12. If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
    13. Kind Hearted Woman Blues

I will be checking this one out. I have loved Robert Johnson since I accidentally ran across the 1986 movie "Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio, Joe Seneca and Steve Vai
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |