Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fender Standard MIM Strat and strings

Thread: Fender Standard MIM Strat and strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Standard MIM Strat and strings

Picking up my Guitar Center layaway this friday.Post on June 1st says it all:

It was nearly new slightly used Fender Standard Strat in Vintage White or Artic white that was traded in.I put it on layaway.Price was $249.99 with hard case.I can hardly wait to get it out of layaway.I have a Vox AD30VT XL coming to play it through.Just starting out and have a Johnson Strat copy and a Washburn Oscar Schmidt OE30.So this will my 1st brand name guitar.Always wanted a Fender!

Anyway I need to get some new strings.What size Super Bullets do you recommend? I'd like to stick with Fender strings but what others do you recommend? Thanks.:

Post Thanks / Like

Killer deal on the guitar. :

I'd try some Ernie Ball Slinky's some time and 10-46 give you a bigger more even sound than 9's will.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with spudman 100%

Ernie Ball slinkies 10-46

Post Thanks / Like

Try whatever feels right for you, whether it's 9's or 10's. I use DR Tite Fit strings, and have found those to be the most "flexible" that I've used thus far. They don't seem to have as much tension as some other strings that I've used.

I think though that the most important part is what feels right and sounds right to YOU. I remember when I was younger having guitar teachers telling me to play brand X and that I HAD to play 10's....at that time though, 10's felt too stiff so my playing was what suffered. Whatever works for you is the best choice.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the chance to see F4D Phantom II's Strat and it is very nice. To show it to me, he made the salesman take it out of the back room of GC, it was on the top shelf way in the back of the store, the salesman had to get a huge ladder with a safety harness because it was so high up and that just got him up to the 4th level below where the guitar was stored. I won't go on about how the guy fell three levels when his foot slipped off the ladder and landed a brand new Gibson Birdland....well I won't say anymore cause it is all bull..... Oh yeah and to top it off the case he got was a genuine Fender case to boot

I use Ernie Ball 10-46 regular slinkies and find them comfortable but then again I have not been playing all that long and have not taken the time to try out other brands.

Can't wait to play that Strat pal...

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Try Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. Kinda like 9's on the top end and 10s on the bottom. Good compromise IMHO.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I recently moved down from 10s to 9s on my MIM Strat. I use D'Addarios, and I like them.

I've used the following before with good results:

Dean Markley Blue Steels (Used these for years with good results)
    Ernie Ball
    GHS Nickel Rockers
    GHS Boomers
    Fender Bullets (came with the guitar, and not bad IMO)

And about 4 or 5 different "off brands" that I can't recall. All of the brands will do the job. I like the D'Addarios because they last a while, have decent tone, and don't break on me when I least expect it.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys I'll give the Ernie Ball Slinkys a try.M29 you are crazy telling a fabrication like that but it was funny.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try the D'Addario 9.5 set. They are an in between 9 and 10 set. I like the D'Addarios over the Fender strings because even with a complete wipedown after playing I find the Fenders corrode easily. I do not find that with the D'Addarios. The sustain is very good, and I actually have them on all of my guitars including the Gibsons.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

D'Addario 10s for me on my MIM's.

I was just bragging about what a great deal used MIM's are...I mean $250? Its a steal!!! Especially with the Fender hardshell!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto on the D'Addario 10's on my MIM 60th.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    D'Addario 10s for me on my MIM's.
    +1 : :

they're my go to strings for most of my guitars (except the acoustic and the resonator)

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728

they're my go to strings for most of my guitars (except the acoustic and the resonator)

ww
    They sound great, bend easy, last a long time, theyre dirt cheap, I like the lil sealed bags they come in to prevent corrosion AND you get points for buyin them that you can save up and get free schwag! Whats not to like???

I was using Elixers for awhile there cause I almost never break strings(Im doin it wrong, not playing enough, right???)...but the tone faded long before they tarnished, they cost almost twice as much...and I kinda like changing strings more often than those are worth. Beside, Gore Tex products have always been gimmicky and over hyped.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love the colored balls on the Dadd strings LOL....specially the purple one :-)

I have only used Dadds on the acoustics so far, but after the herd thinning is over and we see what is left, I may go with some for whatever Electric is left standing.

Hopefully the sale will go well and I can go out and get a new one of these
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Picked the Fender up friday and a set of Ernie Ball hybrid Slinky strings 9-46.

Post Thanks / Like

will get photo up soon

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728

ww
    Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Actually I don't think the brand makes all that much of a difference, but that just my $0.02
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!