Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Leaky reverb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaky reverb

I mentioned in the H&K Tube Edition 20 thread that my new amph (nod to Rocket) makes a whooshy, leaky sound when I use the reverb and play notes near the nut on the A string. The open A is worst. Other notes don't make this sound & if the reverb is off it's quiet as you please.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what could be causing it? It's an accutronics reverb, if that's of any help.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/rvbtheop.htm

More info on how spring reverb units work.

http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~roymal/accutron.htm
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because it's a "tube" amp(h)... don't you have a tube patch kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I mentioned in the H&K Tube Edition 20 thread that my new amph (nod to Rocket) makes a whooshy, leaky sound when I use the reverb and play notes near the nut on the A string. The open A is worst. Other notes don't make this sound & if the reverb is off it's quiet as you please.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what could be causing it? It's an accutronics reverb, if that's of any help.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/rvbtheop.htm

More info on how spring reverb units work.

http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~roymal/accutron.htm
    It's only with the A string?? I'm just taking a stab at this as I've never heard anything like that before, but could it be something with the nut itself that is really coming out more with the new amp?

Again, I'm only taking a shot in the dark here...but it is a little unusual that it is just with that one string.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I was playing the straight man Rocket, but I was expecting Strum to hit it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    It's only with the A string?? I'm just taking a stab at this as I've never heard anything like that before, but could it be something with the nut itself that is really coming out more with the new amp?

Again, I'm only taking a shot in the dark here...but it is a little unusual that it is just with that one string.
    It's not the nut.

I think it's something resonant with that low A and the notes nearby A# & B are just close to the resonant frequency.

It only happens with the reverb on, not with it off.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket

That was easy - problem fixed.

I was going to suggest a cork, it was a tough one to leave to someone else, but the patches not only hit it out of the park, it was a Grand Slam.

Tot, if I had a clue on how to help you, I would have spoke up. Now, if you want me to try to sell it for you...
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

If it were an acoustic guitar I'd bet it was due to Helmholtz resonance effect... I can't imagine how it would affect an electric though.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried another guitar?

I will say that at home I thought the reverb was a bit heavy but out in the real world it sounded really good. Could it be that because it's such a good amph that it's able to bring out some issues that your guitar has? If it is the frequency then playing A or Bb or Ab chords or notes elsewhere on the guitar should also make the same problem evident to some degree. Does this happen?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it at very low volumes (it's early) & with the amp on the floor --to rule out any issues with the stand.

I tried 3 guitars (my two plus my son's). I narrowed it down to the low B. The sound occurs for the B on both the low E string & the A string. Everytime with every guitar. I haven't found any other notes that cause the same problem.

In listening closer, it sounds exactly like a spring vibrating & then rubbing up against metal while still vibrating.

I think that it is clearly something wrong with the spring reverb. I'll try again later when I can turn it up a bit.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Rocket.....very nice.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it at very low volumes (it's early) & with the amp on the floor --to rule out any issues with the stand.

I tried 3 guitars (my two plus my son's). I narrowed it down to the low B. The sound occurs for the B on both the low E string & the A string. Everytime with every guitar. I haven't found any other notes that cause the same problem.

In listening closer, it sounds exactly like a spring vibrating & then rubbing up against metal while still vibrating.

I think that it is clearly something wrong with the spring reverb. I'll try again later when I can turn it up a bit.
    Could be the springs in your reverb tank were damaged in shipping.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    Could be the springs in your reverb tank were damaged in shipping.
    It surely is something like that.

I had the volume up & yes it is the B on the 7th fret of the 6th string & the B on the 2nd fret of the 5th string. Of any guitar I played.

A springy, buzzy, rattle.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you send it back or take the reverb tank apart try checking the tank's mounting screws. They may be too loose or too tight. It's hard to be specific as either case could cause a rattle.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Before you send it back or take the reverb tank apart try checking the tank's mounting screws. They may be too loose or too tight. It's hard to be specific as either case could cause a rattle.
    If they notice that I've done that will it void the warranty?

I was hoping that they'd have a local repair shop that was authorized for warranty service.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

If they notice that I've done that will it void the warranty?
    Sure will... and if you send it back, you won't get a replacement because they sold out AND product has been discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure will... and if you send it back, you won't get a replacement because they sold out AND product has been discontinued.
    That's why I didn't want to send it back. I wanted to get it serviced.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed!
    Didn't you get a warranty service locator card with the amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed!
    Didn't you get a warranty service locator card with the amp?
    Nope. I got a warranty card (but I registered online) with no service locator info. They do give a German phone number & an email address. I'll send them an email with some pitchforks in it.

I shudder to think what Strum would email them...or Warren.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

We warrant that this product is free from defects in material or workmanship at the time of manufacture. This warranty is valid only in accordance with our warranty conditions from the date of purchase for the period indicated above.

In the event that this product requires servicing, contact an authorized Hughes & Kettner dealer. He will provide the required service and has all spare parts in stock.
    http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/register.php
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks WackyT.

That's the online form that I used, but didn't notice the dealer search tab. It tiurns out that the best local music store (about 20 minutes away) is an authorized service center!!

That's better than I hoped.
    I pick a moon dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast