Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Sr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    And to prove Rocket right (oh, it bothers me just to write it)
    When has it ever been otherwise?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    When has it ever been otherwise?
    Don't make this any harder for me.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

So it'll have tube reverb...very interesting!

Can someone with experience tell me the difference in tone between tube & spring reverb?

How do you think this compares with the H&K Tube Edition 20 that I just bought.

I have to decide whether to keep it & have the reverb fixed under warranty or send it back to Music123.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    So it'll have tube reverb...very interesting!

Can someone with experience tell me the difference in tone between tube & spring reverb?

How do you think this compares with the H&K Tube Edition 20 that I just bought.

I have to decide whether to keep it & have the reverb fixed under warranty or send it back to Music123.
    Spring reverb can be either tube driven or driven by solid state circuity. Tube driven reverb, much as with tube driven amplification in general, is warmer, thicker, deeper, and more organic sounding. Warm vs. sterile. Natural sounding vs. artificial that tries to sound natural. To the ear, tube driven reverb sounds much more natural. There are many solid state reverb units out there. Some sound pretty good, others awful. One thing they all seem to have in common, is in the way they all try to emulate tube driven spring reverb. That ought to tell you something right there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Spring reverb can be either tube driven or driven by solid state circuity. Tube driven reverb, much as with tube driven amplification in general, is warmer, thicker, deeper, and more organic sounding. Warm vs. sterile. Natural sounding vs. artificial that tries to sound natural. To the ear, tube driven reverb sounds much more natural. There are many solid state reverb units out there. Some sound pretty good, others awful. One thing they all seem to have in common, is in the way they all try to emulate tube driven spring reverb. That ought to tell you something right there...
    Thanks Blooz, I was unaware that tube-driven reverb used springs...I guess that I thought that spring reverb was somehow string driven.

Whatever "driven" might mean.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

Whatever "driven" might mean.
    usually associated with "to madness"
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

The spring reverb needs amplification before being mixed in with the main audio. Solid state reverb, such as in my Fender amp, uses an op amp to amplify, while tube reverb uses a tube to amplify.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    usually associated with "to madness"
    & also usually a very short drive.

Thanks WackyT that makes sense.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrected this old thread, since the Valve Sr. does indeed now exist and is available.
    The Jet City 20H has been getting plenty of attention, but this 6v6 powered head from Epi is worth a look as well.
    Here's one of the better reviews, IMO.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it should be a nice upgrade from the Junior. Sweetwater said it has four pre-amp tubes, which would have made me thought it'd have more gain. It actually has three and one of them is for the reverb, so that explains that. Found a gut shot here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=635300

The only thing I could really tell from the gut shots is that the one transformer didn't look anything like the size of the ones in my Jet City.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Resurrected this old thread, since the Valve Sr. does indeed now exist and is available.
    The Jet City 20H has been getting plenty of attention, but this 6v6 powered head from Epi is worth a look as well.
    Here's one of the better reviews, IMO.
    The amp sounds great. It's a perfect match with a Strat. Speaking of the Strat-what kind of strat was that? The fretboard inlays looked like saturn with the fancy 12th fret inlay.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Jet City, now I have the Valve Sr. I really like the tone of the Sr better. I think build quality goes to the JC but the Sr is more versatile with more clean headroom. It also goes better with single coils than the JC. The one major drawback is the reverb sucks. But I don't use much reverb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12