Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New gigging acoustic

Thread: New gigging acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Default New gigging acoustic

If anyone had told me I'd buy a Fender acoustic I'd have laughed at them, but...

I spent a lot of time round the local guitar pushers looking for an electro acoustic that wouldn't break the bank, felt and sounded good both plugged and unplugged and was put together well enough to last. I made a mistake on a Crafter jumbo that was just too large for me and had absurdly tight string spacing but the shop agreed to take it back and gave me the run of the place to pick out something more suitable.

And the winner is... a Fender CD-140-SCE. I was surprised how nice this guitar is but it was by far the best of the three samples they had in the shop. In fact it was nicer than a Fender GA43 going for nearly twice the price. It's a slightly waisted dreadnought with full depth sides and a cutaway that's rendered a bit redundant by a very deep heel. Construction is tidy inside and out and it plays just great. Here are some pictures

Fender demo attached below

I'd say the guitar has more modern tone than either of my nice acoustics. It leans more towards a Taylorish tone than Martin. It's getting a lot of use and the bass is filling out nicely. It worked a treat plugged in at the Paekakariki open mic the other night too, a built in tuner is just so handy in a noisy bar, I could actually tune up while a local rock band were doing their spot.
    Last edited by markb; July 13th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Dead links!

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, I'll have a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Should see some pics and an attachment now :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Both pics and audio - sweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. Fender has a bad rep in the acoustic world, some of it deserved. But, amongst the drek are some winners and it looks like you found one. I have a friend who has a fender, cutaway dread. Solid spruce top and solid rosewood back, lam sides. Very handsome guitar and sounds terrific.

Post Thanks / Like

It amazes me how a company that makes such great electric guitars are not known for their acoustics.

Mark looks like you found a nice one, looks great sounds great...congrats.