Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Premature Congratulation (New Guitar Day!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premature Congratulation (New Guitar Day!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Premature Congratulation (New Guitar Day!)

I don't have proper pics yet so I daren't post a New Guitar Day thread elsewhere (cough... Harmony-Central... cough), but I thought I'd let y'all know I finally picked up my first guitar with a Bigsby ever.

OK, so I came home from work on July 2nd and took the slightly longer route so as to check out one of my fave pawns.

I've bought 2 guitars there in the past and know how to say the right thing so as to get the best deal from them.

Frankly, it doesn't take much. If you can ID a guitar on the wall by model name and take care to ask what it's "tagged at" or the "asking price" (indicating you know they'll go lower), that's all it takes.

Anyhow, they had a white-blonde Epi Wildkat there. This is not a regular color/finish (ebony/antique natural/turqouise). Back of the headstock says "Epiphone Cutom Shop Limited Edition." Tagged at $449. Here's the stock model shot from Epi, apparently came out for a limited time in 2005 and is now discontinued:

Here's a pic of someone else's that captures the color a bit more accurately:

They immediately offered it to me for three Benjamins even, with no dickering on my part.

The gold hardware is bigtime pitted, though the guitar's finish is still very good. In a couple areas the plating is entirely worn away and underneath appears as chrome/nickel. Unfortunately, no case. I let it sit there awhile because I had no cash and hoped I could get them down even further. My will finally crumbled when I got a big profit sharing this week.

I bought her for 3 bills even, even without the case. I'll sell my cheapie "birthday guitar" (dual-P-90'd modded Bullet Strat) I got a couple months ago to partially offset the cost, and to keep the stable from going up one net, which would risk said stable exploding due to being overfull.

My first Bigsby after all these years!

Pics of the actual should hopefully be along by Sunday, sorry for the delay.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You've grown up to be a Bigsby Boy! Congrats! That looks sweet. Hope it sounds great too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Mr. Pre-me. It looks beautiful.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    You've grown up to be a Bigsby Boy! Congrats! That looks sweet. Hope it sounds great too.
    Thanks. I played it a bit last night but only through my little 2x8 practice amp cab. Looking forward to hearing her at band volume.

Now I have to think up a name.

Post Thanks / Like

glad you ended up getting that one brian....it's a cool looking guitar!

hey it's got a "big"sby and it's an "e"piphone...how 'bout "big-e"? :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, glad to see that it was still there waiting for you. I think you are really going to enjoy this guitar. I'm still getting use to mine, but the enjoyment part was immediate. Even though I am having trouble adjusting to the pups, the guitar does kick @$$.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright Brian make that Wildkat roar!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Brian: I was cruisin your Crashpad sites and see you like to caress the floor occasionally...Slam might be a good name....

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Congrats Brian: I was cruisin your Crashpad sites and see you like to caress the floor occasionally...Slam might be a good name....

M29
    Haha, yeah I've been known to get down!

I think I'ma go with "Goldie" for this'un.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! She's a beaut Brian. Call her whatever you want, she'll still be hot.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    WOW! She's a beaut Brian. Call her whatever you want, she'll still be hot.
    Haha, thanks. Keep in mind those pics are not my exact guitar, the gold bits on mine are pretty pitted and corroded, like the guitar was rode hard and put away wet. A lot of wear for a 3-year-old guitar.

In some ways it's a bit odd of a color combination. The back is a light grayish white blond, while the top is more of a creme color.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Haha, thanks. Keep in mind those pics are not my exact guitar, the gold bits on mine are pretty pitted and corroded, like the guitar was rode hard and put away wet. A lot of wear for a 3-year-old guitar.

In some ways it's a bit odd of a color combination. The back is a light grayish white blond, while the top is more of a creme color.
    Mine too Brian, but it is cleaning up nicely. I plan to do a complete cleaning very soon. The only thing pitted on mine are the pup covers. In the pictures of mine it appeared that the tremolo had pitting, but the seller assured me it did not, and he was correct.

I assume if the covers don't clean-up, I can get new covers, but I haven't looked around yet.

Keeping with my guitar naming tradition, mine is called the black Wildkat or Kat for short.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hidden Bigsby fetish:

I have yet to aquire a specimen.

That Kat along with strums looks great!!!:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking guitar.

Usually not a fan of gold hardware, but on this one.... Perfect. Nicely done

:

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's one cool Kat!

Congrats, Brian!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    Great looking guitar.

Usually not a fan of gold hardware, but on this one.... Perfect. Nicely done

:
    Thanks, I'm the same way about gold hardware. I'm also a sucker for a local deal where I can pick up a guitar and play it, feel it's heft, etc. When I have a local deal like that I'll often buy something in a color or whatever that I ordinarily might not otherwise, if I like the guitar I find the finish or appearance will grow on me. This looks pretty classy, but the wear on the plating adds some mojo and balances it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Brian, I don't know how bad the pitting is on the metal parts of your Wildkat, but I just used some Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound on my pups and I pretty much eliminated all the pitting. Right now I have a portion disassembled, but when I start reassembling it, I plan to clean the rest up.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Brian, I don't know how bad the pitting is on the metal parts of your Wildkat, but I just used some Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound on my pups and I pretty much eliminated all the pitting. Right now I have a portion disassembled, but when I start reassembling it, I plan to clean the rest up.
    Thanks, I may try that.

OK, finally took some pics of the actual guitar I bought:

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man Brian that looks nice just like it is, especially the gold wear:
    I see what you were saying with the color differences front to back. It don't look bad, just not what you would expect.
    Just curious... what is the knob for on the lower horn?

M29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast