Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Still Love my JV Strat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Love my JV Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Love my JV Strat

More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me. I haven't had any issues and even though I live in a part of the US that gets humid, I haven't had to adjust it very much. It's rock solid. I have been entertaining buying another pickguard loaded with noiseless singles just to see if I would like it. The other thought was to replace the singles in the guard I have now with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pups like I have in my Lonestar. They sound great and are dead silent. Any JV owners swap out the originals and if so with what?

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I too love mine. In fact, the more I play it, the more I love it!

I bought it used, and the previous owner had swapped out the original pickups and put in custom shop Fat 50's. I liked them at first, but after a while they sounded too clean to me. So I swapped them out and put in a set of Mighty Mite Tex-Mex pickups, figuring they should sound like the originals. Since I've never had Fender T-M pickups, I don't know how close they are. They are definitely hotter and louder than the Fat 50's. So far, I'm digging them A LOT.

Everything about the guitar feels right -- I love the string spacing, the maple neck, the medium jumbo frets, and the neck is absolutely amazing. It plays like a dream, and every guitarist who picks it up has a hard time putting it down!

Thank you, Jimmie Vaughan, for an affordable GREAT guitar!

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me.
    This one would be on my "not for sale" list.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    More than three years have passed and this guitar still gets lots of attention from me.

It's great when a reasonably priced guitar gets so much praise.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; July 23rd, 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Reference to a previous R-rated StingX statement removed.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, that guitar is such a beauty!
    I´ve played a couple of JV´s and they all felt and sounded just right.
    The stock pickups sounds pretty damn good too imho.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Still love my JV... couldn't think of changing a thing on it...
    I really dig the stock pups..

I have often thought of getting a black one and changing to CS 69's and making a gilmourish type blackie out of it...

I just love the neck on these guitars sooo much..

Just feels right...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great.When the neck fits your hand,man it's hard to put the axe down.I'll have to try one cause the neck on my 90's strat plus just does not do it for me and I can always change necks.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I had a MIM strat and had put in some Vintage Noiseless pups and thought it sounded fantastic. The clarity even on high gain settings was amazing. I'd recommend giving them a serious try.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice strat, had two...more into my own versions though, actually bought CS69's and threw them into the second..still didn't do it for me, so on we go.....still a very good players strat....tex-mex pups are great..!

Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking of auditioning these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/nepvinopiset.html

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

If something were to happen to my hwy 1 the JV is the way I would go as I do not like the new hwy's and every JV has been exceptional.If you go with the Neovin's can't wait to hear what you think have not seen any reviews yet .

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking of wiring my MIM standard like the JV cause I loath that bridge pup without a tone knob...but how do yall like the middle pup sans tone knob?
    Ever wish it had a tone knob???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Im thinking of wiring my MIM standard like the JV cause I loath that bridge pup without a tone knob...but how do yall like the middle pup sans tone knob?
    Nah!

I am mostly on the neck pup or I will double it up with the middle. I like how the JV is wired and prefer all my Strats that way now.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I like mine wide open middle pup too, so I just moved the pot to the bridge...

Post Thanks / Like

Stingx I came across a video demo of the NeoVIn power rock set I posted it on a different thread they sound really good here is the link in case you haven't seen it
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=91371#post91371

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F_BSurfer
    Stingx I came across a video demo of the NeoVIn power rock set I posted it on a different thread they sound really good here is the link in case you haven't seen it
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=91371#post91371
    Thanks That's Frets99 from HCGF. Cool video but it isn't the same as auditioning them live. Too much coloration to the sound in those videos.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    I LOVE the middle pickup wide open. Not sure how to describe the sound, but it's kind of jazzy in a Gibson sort of way, to my ears. btw, that's how Robin Trower always plays his Strat, supposedly.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Birv2: have you heard any of Robin Trower's blues stuff. Really well done.
    He also uses large strings and tunes down a whole step.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Birv2: have you heard any of Robin Trower's blues stuff. Really well done.
    He also uses large strings and tunes down a whole step.
    I've heard pretty much everything except his blues stuff: Procol Harum, BLT, his own trio, etc. I'll have to check it out. I'm a huge blues fan, but also love the Trower style as well.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast