Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to this forum

Hey everyone! I wanted to introduce myself. I have been playing guitar since I was twelve years old, I'm now 56. My mother introduced me to it. She showed me a couple of chords and I have gone from there.

Having been around small Pentecostal churches most of my life, it has limited my exposure of gifted guitarist. My wife and I have sang together for many years, playing in several churches between Arizona and Missouri. For years I played rhythm guitar behind my wife as she played piano. However for the past 7 years I have begun to play lead guitar in the church band where I pastor. I have a country/blues style and love to play.

I bought a Fender Nashville Deluxe in 2001 and love it very much.

It's great being a musician and would like to communicate with other musicians as well.

pes_laul Guest

welcome dude! this is a great forum.

I too started pretty young I'm 14 and have been playing for 5 years.

Oh yeah say no to the pancakes:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi The Wayner! Thanks for joining us. Enjoy this hangout.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Another pastor?

Watch out for the other one, he's wild. :

Welcome!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayner
    It's great being a musician and would like to communicate with other musicians as well.

You've come to the right place! Enjoy, and post often.:
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Wayne!

I played in my last church for about 10 years. Wonderful experience, very different than gigging out in bars and non-church venues.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome wayner....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Wayner. There's a lot of good and knowledgeable folks here . . . and then there's me.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Wayner!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Wayner,

I've been playing every Sunday at various churches with my wife for the past 20 years now. It's great experience and now my kids are also involved in our group so this as evolved into a family thing.

One of my best friends was a guitarist at a Pentacostal church, and he was the best guitar player that I ever knew. He played like a mixture of Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed styles (really great player).

You will like this forum. There are players representing lots of styles, ages, countries, etc. It's a great bunch of people.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks for the warm Welcome

After re-reading my post I realized that I implied I had not met any good players in church, but I have indeed met quite a few. It's been my experience that a lot of churches have gotten away from the more traditional gospel music and away from the guitar to more keyboard.

In the church I pastor we have a keyboard, organ, drums, bass, my guitar and even a violin. Love to make beautiful music.

Trying to watch out for the pancakes. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hi wayner, welcome.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Have you had the pleasure of hearing or seeing Phil Keaggy?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Welcome. Have you had the pleasure of hearing or seeing Phil Keaggy?
    No I have not.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to TheFret!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret Wayner.
    Cheers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayner
    No I have not.
    Take a trip to youtube and check him out.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Great group of people here. You'll love it.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard

Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack with Digital Effects

Pedal: Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Products desired: Marshall JTM45 (amp) and Gibson Les Paul 60s neck-heritage cherry sunburst, Gibson Custom SG Standard Historic Reissue Electric Guitar with Maestro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast