Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Classic Vibe - the guitar everyone is talking about
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Vibe - the guitar everyone is talking about

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic Vibe - the guitar everyone is talking about

Have you heard? The Classic Vibe is getting raves like crazy. It's $299 and apparently of VERY good quality. It might a good idea to get one soon, since it's now selling like hotcakes and what happened to another guitar that sold like hotcakes and was cheap (Squier '51) ?? Discontinued!

People are saying it's as good as any American Fender (heard it from several sources), and of course way, way better than the ol Squier '51.

Who's getting one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...6&src=3SOSWXXA

In comparison to the Squier Standard Telecaster:
    - the body is made of pine
    - the neck is tinted to look vintage
    - the pickups are different
    - the bridge has brass saddles

Specs:
    * Body: Pine
    * Finish: Polyester
    * Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern C Shape
    * Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 (241 mm)
    * Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo
    * Scale Length: 25.5 (648 mm)
    * Nut Width: 1.65 (42 mm)
    * Hardware: Chrome
    * Tuning Keys: Vintage style tuning machines
    * Bridge: Vintage style TeleĀ© bridge plate w/brass barrel saddles
    * Pickguard: 1-ply black
    * Neck pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)
    * Bridge pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)
    * Pickup switching: 3-Position Blade Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    * Controls: Volume, Tone

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Pine? :

Post Thanks / Like

Pine, yes. I have never played a guitar with pine body. I heard it sounds really good. Anyone know more?

Oh, I realized there is also a Classic Vibe Stratocaster! Man, this could lead to two (!) new guitars!

See the Squier website:
    http://www.squierguitars.com/products/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now.

Briefly, everything you've heard is true. It's very nearly identical to the MIM 50s Classic -- in fact, I had been planning to buy one of those when this thing came out. Differences include that lovely resonant pine body, a flatter fretboard radius, brass saddles (the MIM has stainless steel), big wide frets. All of which make the Squier more desirable imho. The pickups are Alnico 3; to my ear they sound like everything a Tele should sound like. Lots of true spank and shimmer.

Two truly cool things about this axe: first, the setup was spot-on, right out of the box. I haven't had to adjust anything. There's some speculation on TDPRI that the factory is plekking them. Second, the pickups are DEAD QUIET. Even with a fair amount of gain there's no hum. It flies in the face of reason, but I'm not complaining.

These instruments evidently represent an effort to bring back the glory days of the 80s-era Squiers, and I think they've succeeded amazingly.
    Last edited by Ro3b; July 25th, 2008 at 08:28 AM.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Arrrrgh! Don't do this to me guys. I'm trying to behave.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have a winner.... and Spud's castle is going to need room for yet another Squire (haha - what a pun!) to serve the mighty Sir Spud Knight of Shiny Geetars!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was frequenting the TDPRI, it seems that a number of guys over there were building pine Teles with great success. I don't know that the tonal aspects are.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The Squire Tele (same as yours, Robert) that I had was made from a wood (I forget the name, begins with an 'A") that was described as essentially an Asian pine. Maybe it's that same wood and they're calling it pine since no one knows what the heck that other wood is by it's name...?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Agathis :

And I still want this guitar - it is at the top of my GAS list.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 LĆ©ro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    The Squire Tele (same as yours, Robert) that I had was made from a wood (I forget the name, begins with an 'A") that was described as essentially an Asian pine. Maybe it's that same wood and they're calling it pine since no one knows what the heck that other wood is by it's name...?
    Alder or Ash Body?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    Pine? :

Wings ,Trivia: what was the first nocaster/tele made of?????:

Tick Tick.....................
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Arlo West play those PineCasters? Sounds pretty good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno, but the grain that I can see through the finish on my guitar looks like your basic piney kind of pine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Wings ,Trivia: what was the first nocaster/tele made of?????:

Tick Tick.....................
    tick tick....Time zone lag here from the Left coast, muddy. But you picked up why I went :

Pine. :

1949 prototype #1 was a pine body. #2 proto was ash. I think it was built to be the Esquire first, with 1 pup, then the Broadcaster (to be the nocaster, thanks to Gretsch) added the 2nd pup.

EDIT: There were reasons why Leo ditched pine for ash at the proto stage. His goal with his first solid body guitar was to make a durable, easy to maintain and repair guitar that could take a lickin' from gigging country-western pickers. Pine proved too soft a wood, dented too easily, was too difficult to maintain uniform body size cuts (no cnc back then) to fit the bolt on necks in the pockets tightly, consistently for mass Model T type prodction, and didn't give the bright sustain he wanted, to emulate that which he was getting from his lap steels built with Doc Kauffman. Ash solved those issues, and also, since the choice of finish, like the Model T, was 'any color you want, as long as it's natural', had more consitent grain patterns and took the finish better.

So...while this is a guitar 'everyone' is raving about and is probably really good, the 'Fender Purist' (as in: Leo Fender, not Fender The Brand Only) in me wonders: this isn't the guitar that Leo invented, it's more like the one he rejected, so it's innacurate and a misnomer to classify it as a 'vintage vibe'. But that's just me, it's my opinion, and I'm sure that's a mighty unpopular position to take. Sorry.
    Last edited by wingsdad; July 26th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What sealed the deal for me was when a guy who works at the factory in China where these guitars are made turned up on TDPRI to talk about them. The people who are making these things are evidently pretty psyched about them. It shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    What sealed the deal for me was when a guy who works at the factory in China where these guitars are made turned up on TDPRI to talk about them. The people who are making these things are evidently pretty psyched about them. It shows.
    Sorry for being a dolt... what is TDPRI?
    ICFIO!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Sorry for being a dolt... what is TDPRI?
    ICFIO!
    http://www.tdpri.com/

I didn't know either, had to google tdpri
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh... I obviously gotta get a Fender for the stable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Ahhh... I obviously gotta get a Fender for the stable!
    What????? No Fender? Everyone should have at least one!

Those Teles are a major source of GAS. The Strats look great, too. I would have bought one of those if they had been around when I got my MIM.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast