Thread: How do you use effects loops?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking How do you use effects loops?

Hey Guys,
    My pedals sound much better when going through the effects loop at the back of my amp, but I can't figure out how to put my guitar through the amp and my pedals through the effects loop on the back, I know the pedals need to be connected in the return input but I can't get my guitar to go through the amps main input so that I can use my amps distortion and treble,mid,bass settings.

I need a run down on what inputs and outputs my lead goes into and so on.
    Can anyone here help me please?

All comments much appreciated.
    GREENMACHINE
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

where you been !!!???

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ted,
    I have been practicing guitar and had school exams so yeah I haven't been able to get on for ages!!!! Which is really annoying!!!!.

GREENMACHINE

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE
    I know the pedals need to be connected in the return input but I can't get my guitar to go through the amps main input so that I can use my amps distortion and treble,mid,bass settings.
    Your guitar goes into the main input on your amp. Your chosen pedals need to be fed the "send" signal -> route through your pedal chain -> feed the output of your pedals back into the "return".

If you search TheFret there is lots of info on what effects sound better in the FX loop, order of effects etc. but in general OD and Dist go into the guitar "in", modulation FX like chorus, flange, etc. sound better in the loop.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Hey T Ross,
    Right ok thanks very much for your help. I guess I got some of it right then haha. Thanks very much again for your help, I will go try that tomorrow and see if I can get it going.

Cheers
    GREENMACHINE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    If you search TheFret there is lots of info on what effects sound better in the FX loop, order of effects etc. but in general OD and Dist go into the guitar "in", modulation FX like chorus, flange, etc. sound better in the loop.
    Do clean boosts work well in the loop?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I've never tried, but my guess is it would be more effective on the front end, unless you need to bring your signal up a little bit after it has been modulated/processed.

Try it and see what works for ya...
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    I've never tried, but my guess is it would be more effective on the front end, unless you need to bring your signal up a little bit after it has been modulated/processed.

Try it and see what works for ya...
    I was just wondering if I could keep the preamp tubes low & hit the power tubes hard.

I'll give it a try.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    They do work well to increase the signal-level without getting more overdrive from the preamptubes. For example, to get a louder leadsound.
    It doesn't make a big difference if you only play clean.
    In front of an overdriven amp, the cleanboost will increase the drive, so put the boost in the loop and it will increase the level.

Greets, uli

Post Thanks / Like

Wah-comp-od -booster: straight in the amp..

Flanger - Chorus -Delay -Reverb : in effects loop

Thats the best set up for me ..

Try it

Blazes
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmann
    They do work well to increase the signal-level without getting more overdrive from the preamptubes. For example, to get a louder leadsound.
    It doesn't make a big difference if you only play clean.
    In front of an overdriven amp, the cleanboost will increase the drive, so put the boost in the loop and it will increase the level.

Greets, uli
    Thanks Uli!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,
    I finally got a new lead so I can put my pedals in the effects loop, but I was wondering where should a modelling pedal go? Through the effects loop or through the main input. I have the Eric Clapton pedal and its got a mixture of distortions and reverbs, choruses...... Where should I put it?

Cheers,
    GREENMACHINE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE
    Hey guys,
    I finally got a new lead so I can put my pedals in the effects loop, but I was wondering where should a modelling pedal go? Through the effects loop or through the main input. I have the Eric Clapton pedal and its got a mixture of distortions and reverbs, choruses...... Where should I put it?

Cheers,
    GREENMACHINE
    From what I understand the reverbs, choruses....want to be in the loop. The distortions want to be in front of the amph. You decide.
    I pick a moon dog.