Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Pupcaster

Thread: Pupcaster

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pupcaster

At some point I'm gonna change the pups in my Godin SD.

It's got a 24 & 3/4" scale & a heavy silver leaf maple body with poplar wings.

It's got a good bottom end, but since those are not classic strat specs, I wanna explore usual pup combinations.

It currently has the stock HSS configuration.

Here are some of the pups that I am thinking about.

Teisco gold foil
    Kleenix Box P90
    P90
    Ric Toaster
    DeArmond Single Coil
    Filtertron
    Lipstick
    Charlie Christian style pup

I'll dig out some wood if need be to fit the pup.

Does anyone have suggestions for a really cool & interesting combination &/or wiring scheme?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpocaster.

So any suggestions?

Here is one that doesn't require mods to the guitar body.

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat or PRails in the bridge.

A Tele neck pup & a lipstick pup in the middle.

Would that sound horrible or cool? I dunno.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea with the tele neck!

You should add paf style humbucker in the bridge, and possibly strat pickup in the middle.. wierd, but definately versatile.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I like the idea with the tele neck!

You should add paf style humbucker in the bridge, and possibly strat pickup in the middle.. wierd, but definately versatile.
    Weird is good.

Does anyone have an even weirder combo that may offer some unique cool tones?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, how about a small thermonuclear reactor at the neck and a tiny chain saw at the bridge? Leave the stock middle pickup in for vintage authenticity.

That weird enough for ya?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with whatever pickups you want - but check out some of the mods you can do here:

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/drawings.html

I would highly recommend the chromacaster, but you need an SSS configuration for that to work. If you want clips of the chromie, I've got 2 guitars fitted with one.

I've heard that lipstick pups are temperamental when it comes to mod-wiring (especially when it comes to out-of-phase). But I've never used or wired one.

As far as versatility, I would go with an HSH and do a shunt on each hb, use a super 5-way switch, and see what combinations (series, parallel, out of phase) you can do. That should open up a lot of tonal variety.

Just my 2c.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    I would go with whatever pickups you want - but check out some of the mods you can do here:

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/drawings.html

I would highly recommend the chromacaster, but you need an SSS configuration for that to work. If you want clips of the chromie, I've got 2 guitars fitted with one.

I've heard that lipstick pups are temperamental when it comes to mod-wiring (especially when it comes to out-of-phase). But I've never used or wired one.

As far as versatility, I would go with an HSH and do a shunt on each hb, use a super 5-way switch, and see what combinations (series, parallel, out of phase) you can do. That should open up a lot of tonal variety.

Just my 2c.
    I will certainly give a thought to how to wire the pups. Nice link there.

But here I'm trying to think up usual, but tasty pup combos.

At the moment, I'm also ignoring prices as I'm just thinking about tonal possiblities.

For example this slide pup might might be sweet in the middle position:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...tegory_Code=PP

with a tele neck or maybe this Charlie Christian neck

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...tegory_Code=PP

& maybe a PAF humbucker in the bridge.

I'd have to wire it so that I could get neck & bridge & split the bridge bucker.

I was googling DeArmond Single Coils in order to learn more about them & looky who I found giving great "guitar face" on anothe forum:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=115957

It's post #3. I first recognized the pictures & then scrolled up to look at the name.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Well, how about a small thermonuclear reactor at the neck and a tiny chain saw at the bridge? Leave the stock middle pickup in for vintage authenticity.

That weird enough for ya?
    That'd work, but I think the bridge needs a flame thrower.

I'm really liking the idea of the chicago steel at the bridge & either a tele, P90, or Charlie Christian at the neck.

Screw the middle coil, or perhaps a DeArmond there.

My plan is to make unique sounding clams & so drive the muses of music so crazy with frustration that they have to come & inspire me just in order to stop the racket.

------------------------------------------------

I just discovered this site

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/pickups.html

They have interesting pups there.

I could go P90s &/or Charlie Christians without having to modify the body.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    My plan is to make unique sounding clams & so drive the muses of music so crazy with frustration that they have to come & inspire me just in order to stop the racket.
    woohoo...i have a new signature!! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    woohoo...i have a new signature!! :

ww
    If I knew that you were gonna go sig-diving, I would'a tried to come up with something better.

BTW, I learned a new term at the Vintage Vibe site: Gretsch doink.

As in: these pups have that Gretsch "doink" in spades.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've dropped the Chicago Steel for now, because I want to find something that will fit my HSS with minimal body mods. The Chicago steel is made for the bridge position.

I'm really liking the idea of this Stephenson Pig-90

http://www.sdpickups.com/specialty.shtml

at the bridge & a Charlie Christian blade pup at the neck. The only issue is that Lollar, Vintage Vibe, & Stephenson all make such a pup to replace tele neck pups. What would I need to do to fit them in a strat-style guitar?

I'm not convinced that I need a middle pup with this--more room for fingerstyle blues & jazz. But feel free to convince me otherwise with a funky idea for a middle pup!

H3ll! The Chicago Steel might work great for slide in the middle position, but adding up the cost of all these pups & we're talking money.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    i'm really liking the idea of this Stephenson Pig-90

http://www.sdpickups.com/specialty.shtml
    that's a cool looking pickup! :

i wish i knew more about such things to help steer you but it looks like you are doing a good job researching yourself!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    that's a cool looking pickup! :
    Yeah, I really want that pup.

I hardly ever play the Godin SD. I spend 95% of my time playing the Godin Radiator, which has unusual pups. At some point I'll get an ax with classic strat vibe & tone, but I wanna turn the SD into something else.
    I pick a moon dog.