Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Have you heard, I won a guitar !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you heard, I won a guitar !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you heard, I won a guitar !

I'm a member of several guitar and music sites on the internet, as are many of you. I've mentioned in another thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7456) about the official Fender Forum (www.fender.com) that they were having a giveaway for their 1-year anniversary - the prizes were:

Grand Prize - A Fender VG Stratocaster
    2nd Prize - A Fender G-DEC 30 Amp
    3rd Prize - A $300 spending spree on the Fender on-line store

Strum had indicated that he claimed the first prize, and I claimed the 2nd one - the amp. Well, I won the grand prize - yes, I have won a Fender VG Stratocaster. It was shipped via ground to me on the 24th of July, and it is scheduled to arrive on the 31st of July.

I was asked what color and neck type I might want - I specified it, and the guy who runs the site, Brad knows what it is, but it will be a surprise to me when I get it.

This will be my first actual Fender guitar, my first Fender MIA model guitar, and of course, my first modeling type guitar. It will be my 2nd Stratocaster, since I own a very nice Squier Standard Strat in Cherryburst w/Rosewood Fingerboard.

Well the guitar arrived yesterday. The neck is wonderful - the rolled fingerboard edges feel so fine. The body looks wonderful - it's the new color available this year - Blizzard Pearl. It even sounds great. I dialed thru some of the various settings and it does sound really nice - it will take some time to work thru what the guitar can do - there are a lot of choices. However, the guitar as a plain Strat feels and sounds great.

And here's some quick shots:

I need to thank Fender and staff over at the Fender Forum site for my prize and of course the folks who build my new guitar. It's very, very nice.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, ha - Congrats. I'm here at work and normally photos won't show up, but as fate would have it, these did. Looks nice.

Hmm, maybe they got the names mixed up.

How did they notify you?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

thats so awesome! Very jealous, but nice to see a fretter win something!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Ha, ha - Congrats. I'm here at work and normally photos won't show up, but as fate would have it, these did. Looks nice.

Hmm, maybe they got the names mixed up.

How did they notify you?
    Email - the official notice must have been spam trapped somewhere - the Fender admin Brad sent me a note from his gmail account and said I had won "something" - he then sent me a copy of the official notice - I couldn't believe it - it's the first thing of any value I've won since high school :

Gil, a very happy camper
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats - first time I ever heard someone actually winning something other than scratch offs.nice guitar.play it well Gil
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

That's really cool that you won! I don't know what a Fender VG is, but it looks like it has some kind of piezo pickup (and an extra knob). Have you played with that feature to see what it does and how well it works?

Is the Fender admin Brad Traweek? If it is he was an avid G&L guitar collector and was the original web admin of the guitars by Leo discussion board. Some years ago he sold the board to G&L and went to work for Fender. I don't know whether Fender knows it, he still has several G&Ls in his collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sweet Gil! Congratulations. That is one nice lookin' strat.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

congrats gil...that is a nice looking guitar! and you sure can't beat the price! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

A whole hearted congrats Gil! Glad to see a great guitar fall into nice hands :
    Play it in good health!
    Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Way Cool!! Congrats. I've always been a bit skeptical re: these kind of giveaways. Nice to know the prizes are actually delivered.
    Last edited by evenkeel; August 1st, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, Gil...

I have a friend who would call this serendipity. Enter a contest, forget about it until you suddenly get this notice that you won first prize. That'll make your day...:

Post Thanks / Like

very cool! she's a beaut!
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool Gil let us know how you like it.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhrrr!!!

Oh excuse me... Congratulations Gil: I initially had a little jealousy but I got over it rather quickly

That is one fine guitar. I played one a while back and it has some nice sounds, and like you say the Strat part is still all Strat plus lots of other cool sounds and tunings:

Here is one of a few demo's by Greg Koch of the VG Strat, an awesome player by the way.

Congrats again...AAhhrrr!!!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome I enter fender and gibsons giveaways as well as others all the time.

Never won ,but maybe there is hope!!!

Gil congrats brother!!!!! :
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar! Congrats! Who's the old guy?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

congrats, beautiful piece
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I have read you may be able to dial in just about any sound you want out of her...have fun and crank it..! Congrats...Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Awesome guitar, and you give all of us who enter those contests hope.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast