Thread: Swap the pickups from my Ibanez?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swap the pickups from my Ibanez?

As you may have read, I bought an RG470 the other day, which I pick up on Sunday (wheee!).

Now, I have a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded (sh2n and sh4 pups, Jeff Beck and Jazz), doing nothing at this moment. I dont know if the standard Ibanez pickups, the V7 and V8, are any good, or if theyre standard fit tat.

So the question is, should I swap the pups to the SD's: or are the V7/8 good enough, just sell the SD's?

nothing like planning modding a guitar before you have your grubby hands on it! Pickups I already have, so its no extra outlay.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait and listen to the OEM pups first. Maybe you'll like them and you won't have to bust out the soldering iron. Plus, IIRC, the notch positions on the switch the standard Ibanez wiring taps a coil on the humbucker so that it will be hum-canceling with the middle single coil. I know that there are diagrams out there on how to do it. Just a warning in advance that it could get a bit messy with different color codes and (potentially) phase issues.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I already put a Dimebucker in my mates RG320 and that took a bit of dredging the web. A lot of people seem to hate the Dimebucker, but its an uber high output one, good for squeals, so suited him. He had the INFs, which were so weak it was unbelievable.

Wasnt sure if the V's were recognized as bad as the INFs, but I reckon they might be better.

Always worth canvassing opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Duncans trem spaced?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Are the Duncans trem spaced?
    They have two versions of all of their humbuckers, regular and trembucker. The trembuckers are Floyd/Fender spaced.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn