Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Strat would you buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a dumb question here, how do you know if it's MIM or MIA ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Maybe a dumb question here, how do you know if it's MIM or MIA ?
    Normally, if it is MIM, the writing on the headsock says: Made in Mexico.

There are also different features (for example different tremolo), but to know all the differences, you have to be a real Fender expert. I'm not that kind of expert. The fender.com webpage has a lot of information about the actual models.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Christian, I wasn't sure if it was that evident or not. Wifey-poo says for my 40th. to pick a new guitar, so I am thinking Strat. Maybe I should go for the gusto and get a MIA ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Thanks Christian, I wasn't sure if it was that evident or not. Wifey-poo says for my 40th. to pick a new guitar, so I am thinking Strat. Maybe I should go for the gusto and get a MIA ?
    If you've got the money, do it

Perhaps have a look at the different models at the fender homepage. They vary in neckform (they have the form of a D, a C, or a V all seen as if the neck was cut), the tremolo (american standard with 2 srews/posts or vintage with 6 screws) and the electric curcuit, the frets, and so on.

For myself, i like the 50s models with a maple neck.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, the classic lines of the 50's Strat in Oly White or Daphne Blue are really grabbing my attention.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ted!

There are some ways.. checking the serial number would be one of them. what I do is just check pics and specifications of the guitars on the Fender website a lot, so you can reconize a MIA from a MIM from afar, since they all have differences from series to series.

If I had high dollar I would get a:

-Custom LTD 1955 strat
    -some 60`s Custom
    -Eric Johnson strat (maybe..really need to play it first, I never hear comments about the sound itself, just about how cool it is)
    -John Mayer strat (heard good things)
    -50`s or 60`s classic series
    Last edited by Iago; July 3rd, 2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: extending

Post Thanks / Like

I find it best to buy a cheap strat like the MIM and replace parts, much cheaper then buying a signature model or such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    I find it best to buy a cheap strat like the MIM and replace parts, much cheaper then buying a signature model or such.

I would go further: A MIM Strat isn't that bad that you have to change anything. I thing it's agood guitar right out of the stock. Only if you like a special pickup-sound you have to change them. But in my opinion not fr quality purposes.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Im just saying, its better to buy a 350$ standard MIM strat and replace the pickups for like 150$ (depends if you even use the middle pickup, I would just buy 2 so it would be more like 120$) so overall it would be 480-500$, I think thats better then buying a highway1 strat for example, it has better pickups and the neck is 22 frets and its made in USA, but its like 630$ so you get the same guitar but with better pickups (after replacement) and you only lose that one fret which is completely useless and doesn't affect you at all and considering the tax is higher due to the higher price you save about 150$, not such a big deal if you have extra money to spend but it makes you feel better that you saved and you got the pickups of your choice at that, it would cost about 750 if you bought the hwy1 and replaced the pups.

Post Thanks / Like

Cranium, i didn't want to go in opposition. I'm the same opinion than you. I just wanted to make shure nobody thinks, he have to change pickups before playing on a MIM Strat. In My Opinion, most of the more expensive guitars cost to much. Look at the videos of Robert with his almost cheap guitars: He has a great tone.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Yea but he did put the custom shop 54' pups on his squire strat, the 51' is completely stock though and it sounds real nice, pickups are a preference not a must (I regret wasting money replacing pickups on my ibanez guitar and I don't even like the sound of the new pickup(s) that much, lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I think MIMs are fine as is once the tremolo block has been upgraded.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I think MIMs are fine as is once the tremolo block has been upgraded.
    The new 2006 models have an upgraded Tremolo block (more solid/massive).
    Last edited by Guitar-Chris; July 16th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.
    Greetings

Christian

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

So should I buy a new MIM Fender or 4 SX strats.... hmm.... (can of worms opening...)
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for the MIM, lol you already have 4 guitars, how are you gonna decide which one to play if you get 4 more, I think the upgraded MIM's are good.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I played a new MIM in the store the other day. It was black with a maple fretboard. I normally wouldn't even look at a black one cause I think they are a little plain looking. Boy was I surprised how good it played and sounded. I have a 92 MIM myself and this one was in a whole different league.

It was more comfortable to play, sounded better than mine and played better than every other Strat in the store from the Eric Johnson to the Am Standard to the reissues.

Go check them out!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that they just had to raise the quality on the MIM, the squiers were getting so close in tone/comfort...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Just to open another can o' worms, Fender is upgrading the Hwy 1 line of Strats (and increasing the price). SOOOOOOO, Guitartrader (standard disclaimers apply, don't work for 'em, not connected in any way, etc.) is blowing out the existing models (normally $629) down to $499.00, in MIM territory, which is a great price for an American Made Strat.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, if I get a chance Im getting one, that a good deal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast