Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What Strat would you buy?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Strat would you buy?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Strat would you buy?

If you would buy a new great Strat, which one would you get? MIM, MIA, a Squier, any higher end clones out there, etc.

I know I'd like to have a Suhr, but suhr enough, I can't afford it.

It seems the MIM is the best value, am I right?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, Robert, there is alot of "bang for the buck" with a MIM... But those Special Edition Squiers that Spuds has posted look pretty darn good for the price!

I believe the Hwy 1 Strat to be a relatively decent value for a 'Merican made Strat, and I happen to like the thinner finishes.

The best, absolute best Strat I have ever played was a Lite Ash Strat, with Seymour duncan pups, birdseye maple neck and fretboard and a natural finish, and black pickguard, pup covers and knobs. I don't know if it was that particular guitar, the tube amph I was playing through or what, but that guitar felt great in my hands. Swamp ash = tone, and you can't go wrong with SD pups. The neck felt more substantial than a garden variety MIM, but it still felt good and comfortable. They were $599.00 back then (they're $629.00 USD at the 'Friend now), and I just didn't have the money to afford it at the time (and, unfortunately, still don't now).

Here's what the Lite Ash Strat looks like... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ase_pid=511337

I also want to try the Deluxe Player's Strat. It's an MIM model, but with a flatter fretboard radius and a different pup switching system. Those Strats make me drool...

Since you have an SX bass, I saw this over at Rondo's site, and I think it looks pretty good. With a black prewired pickguard from GFS, it could be a poor man's Lite Ash Strat (except the ash probably isn't swamp ash and the neck and fretboard are flame maple instead of birdseye), and it even comes with a case for $169.00 USD! http://www.rondomusic.net/sstltd2.html (standard disclaimers about not working with, or being any way affiliated with Rondo apply)

So, I guess the answer to your question, my friend, is if I had the money, one of each, please...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

That MIM 60th anniversary Strat looks like an awfully good deal at $500. Also a bit of a "collectibility" factor there, too. I'd want to try before I'd buy, but if I were in the market for a mid-priced Strat, that's the one I'd check out first....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    It seems the MIM is the best value, am I right?
    If you decide for it, pay attention that you get the new 2006 model. It has medium jumbo frets instead of the small vintage ones, a heavier tremolo block (more sunstain) and comes with a fender gigbag.

You see the differences on the blue sticker on the guitar which says New Model!
    Last edited by Guitar-Chris; May 22nd, 2006 at 03:24 PM.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That MIM 60th anniversary Strat looks mighty sexy. When I buy myself a strat, this time I'll go with a Fender (or else a higher end brand). I want to treat myself to a guitar with overall great quality. Squiers, SX and so on, they are fantastic for the price, but you do get cheap mechanics, etc. I don't mind having several low end nice guitars, but one or two that is a bit higher quality is something I think I need. (don't tell my wife I said that).

I really want a tremolo I can use that also stays in tune. I'm suspicious about the cheap guitars here - although I could always swap the bridge out, but then the overall price goes up... oh well, we'll see.

Right now, I'm eyeing the MIM 60th anniversary Strat the hardest.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb The "little" things . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Right now, I'm eyeing the MIM 60th anniversary Strat the hardest.
    I think with all of the "nuances" between Stratocaster models (and that includes copies / knock-offs), it would really bide well for you to be able to go someplace and actually play what you're considering buying. The reason I say this is that I was in the exact same sitaution as you are in now last year - I wanted a decent Strat, and was willing to cough up some dough. Well, after playing over a dozen or so Strats (just Fender stuff, and a lot of USA-made models) I finally settled on a MIM Classic 60's 3TS. The big selling point on that guitar: the neck! Yeah, out of all the guitars I played, the neck on this one was just right - a little bit on the chunky side, but not unmanageable at all. It was beautifully finished, tinted maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Frets were perfect. Tuners stayed in tune, too. I have since dropped some very nice Fender Custom '69 p'ups in it, as well as a Callaham trem block, and I would have to say right now, it may be the best Strat I've ever played. True, with those mods, I might now be approaching that USA-made price. But I think for me, it's the right guitar. Yes, I do love my MIJ Squier Strat, and am very pleased with its overall sound and quality. However, my new Strat is an entirely different animal. Crazy how two supposedly "similar" guitars are so totally different, which is my case and point.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

Good question. There certainly are a ton of varieties of Strats out there these days. Honestly, I have not tried most of them.

I think that it depends on what kind of features you want. I have the Eric Clapton Strat and I gotta say that it is one of the best Strats that I've ever played. It's a very solid feeling guitar due to the chunky 50's style V-shaped neck. It also has a very useful mid-boost wired into one of the tone controls. It works great for putting a little extra fattness into the tone when you want that. It would definitely get another strat with the V-neck shape in the future. It's really nice for bending and seems to give it a better overal tone. However, the Clapton Strat has the tiny vintage style frets which I'm not crazy about. But I've grown used to them. I'd really like to try out the Eric Johnson Strat, because I think that it would have even better features for getting good overall tone and feel. The only thing is that it has the older vintage style pickups, so it won't be the most noise-free, however it probably has excellent tone.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The cool thing that Fender has done with their line is make a guitar that will fit just about everyone. There is a Strat out there that will fit just about anyone, from signature guitars from just about every genre of music to basic models that cover the whole range of what people look for in a guitar. And if that doesn't work, the parts are easily interchangeable to the point of relatively easily being able to build a complete custom from the ground up from parts off of the internet.

Leo Fender was a true genius.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd get a MIM Jimmy Vaughan Strat. It has a soft V neck profile that I find very comfortable to play, the body is alder, the hardware is all vintage type American made, complete with a steel tremolo block in the bridge. All the parts for the guitar are made in America then shipped to Ensenada for fitting, assembly and painting.

The guitar is wired with the middle pickup tone control switched to the bridge which I prefer, and have done to all of the Strat clones I've assembled for myself. It comes standard with the very playable Tex-Mex pickups.

It's like getting the best of both worlds - basically an American Strat that is assembled and finished with lower cost Mexican labor. It's the one Fender Strat that I just plain like right off the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    The best, absolute best Strat I have ever played was a Lite Ash Strat, with Seymour duncan pups, birdseye maple neck and fretboard and a natural finish, and black pickguard, pup covers and knobs. I don't know if it was that particular guitar, the tube amph I was playing through or what, but that guitar felt great in my hands. Swamp ash = tone, and you can't go wrong with SD pups. The neck felt more substantial than a garden variety MIM, but it still felt good and comfortable.
    I just read something interesting about the Lite Ash Strat and Tele over at TDPRI:
    I don't believe that is the case with the Lite Ash Tele...the neck is made with a full maple base thru to the 22nd fret....no 22nd fret overhang. The neck pocket is longer on the body, thus the pickguard has a neck pocket cut out deeper. Both the Lite Ash Tele and Strats are built this way, I believe, to prevent mixing-&-matching with US/Mex products....
    That's great until you want to swap the neck. Warmoth has a list of known incompatible guitars (bottom of the page) with this issue. Interestingly, the list doesn't include the Lite Ash guitars. I couldn't find 22-fret necks with no overhang at Musikraft of USACG, either.
    Guitars: Squier Standard Tele; Fender MIM fat strat; Traveler Speedster
    Amp: Vox AD30VT; Vox DA5; Fender Frontman 25R
    Other: DigiTech Bad Monkey; Tascam CD-GT1; Korg Pandora
    GAS'n for: Nothing at the moment!

Post Thanks / Like

It may be true that the neck pocket in the Lite Ash Strat is longer... The guitar is made in Korea for Fender... If the neck were to break or warp, I guess the alternatives would be to search for a new neck from Fender, or go to the 'bay...
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes for the Eric Johnson signature Strat. White blonde maple...woo hoo (other assorted colors available too). 2 piece Alder body with a thin coating of Nitro finish for sweet tone. V shape neck (neck is also nitro finished)...12" radius fingerboard. Comes with staggered vintage tuners that supposedly eliminate the need for string trees (which would will help a smoother trem operation). The Fender website says that theres no paint between the base plate and the block which would also make for an even sweeter tone...and Eric is full of tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    My vote goes for the Eric Johnson signature Strat.
    Definitely a very nice guitar, but, the point where the neck goes into the headstock is very, very thin because the headstock is much thinner so in combination with the staggered tuners they need no string trees.

I would be afraid of breaking it.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

GC - Thats something I've never noticed. I wonder if Eric's other Strats are like that. You could put another neck on there if you wanted to...then again you could get someone to do a nitro finish on a body and build your own Strat if you went to that much trouble to replace a neck. Maybe a homemade Strat would be cool who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    It may be true that the neck pocket in the Lite Ash Strat is longer... The guitar is made in Korea for Fender... If the neck were to break or warp, I guess the alternatives would be to search for a new neck from Fender, or go to the 'bay...
    I had a Lite ash Strat and kept it only a few weeks. The neck was awesome and so comfortable to play, but the sound just wasn't there. The new Squiers I have sound better and have more sustain.
    The Lite Ash Tele is a different story, but I guess we're talking Strats here.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another option. Carl's Custom Guitars. Great prices and features. If you want an authentic Fend*r decal he has those too.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Carls-Custom-Guitars

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    GC - Thats something I've never noticed. I wonder if Eric's other Strats are like that.
    Perhaps this "feature" isn't a problem at all. Sure it isn't.

But I'm sure: If I ever own this guitar it will break at the headstock, even if this is the only time in 1000 guitars.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

If I had some spare cash, I'd snag a 60th Anniversary MIM and refinish it in either shell pink or seafoam green. That guitar's neck feels just as good as my MIA Am. Dlx model. Super sweet sound to boot!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

As, tone2thebone mentioned the v shape neck on the EJ Strat. Some added info on it,,it also changes from a v to a modern c shape as it gets closer to the heel.
    Oh yeah, it has directional frets that are highly polished as well, and a bone nut.
    Last edited by ZoSo65; May 26th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast