Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suhr for sure

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suhr for sure

If I had the dough, I'd get a Suhr. I haven't tried them, admittedly, but a lot of my favourite players (Landau, Henderson, etc) use these guitars. They say it's like a vintage Fender except that it stays in tune and there's no hum. The Scott Henderson model is around $4000 though...

Anyone here tried a Suhr?

See www.suhrguitars.com

By the way, John Suhr used to work at Fender. He also builds amps, the super cool OD-100 (and variations on it) is a choice of many pros. This man can build amps and guitars!

<edit>
    Interesting to see that one of the ads that came up here was for Tom Anderson guitars... they are supposed to be very good too.
    </edit>
    Last edited by Robert; May 23rd, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt mind that Pensa Suhr that Knopfler plays sometimes. I think that they changed name to only Suhr now?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think you are right about the name. It was changed. Spectacular guitars, I don't doubt it, but where am I going to find the money for one? Fundraising?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried them. But I was at a recent event in Las Vegas at a tradeshow and I spotted a guy in the house band that was playing one. They were a great band, and this guy was ripping some great solos, playing a Shur through a Line6 amp. I talked to him after their set and he told me that his guitar was a Shur. It was a fairly basic looking Strat model. He let me take a closer look at it, but I wasn't able to really tell how it felt, etc. He told me that it had a great neck and that the pickups were custom wired and very quiet. They look like great guitars.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread to see if we have any Suhr owners around here?

I just bought a nice Fender strat, so I should really just keep my mouth (and wallet ) shut right now. But even though I may be the "King of Cheap Guitars", I still long for that high-end guitar I can completely fall in love with. So, I am thinking about getting a used Suhr Classic maybe next year, if I can save up enough.

New, a Suhr is very expensive - probably between $3000 and $4000, but used they can be had for $1700 - $2000. Even if I don't fall in love with it, I can probably turn around and sell it for what I bought it used for.

Post Thanks / Like

I held a used Suhr and played it acoustically one day at Music Go Round. Can you believe someone actually sold it to them? I gave it the once over and it felt pretty good. Too many kids were wankin' that day so I never got to hear it. Can you tell us more about the components Rob? Suhr pickups? How is the trem block? How is it wired?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know all the details Tone... I know the pickups he makes have a super sweet vintage tone, and he has a noise-canceling system that makes the dead quiet, while still being true single-coils. No fake ones like the noiseless ones Fender and DiMarzio and others make.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Andersons? I've always heard great reviews about them...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Andersons are supposed to be great too. Another one is Tyler guitars - Landau uses a few of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert did the player's strat whet your appetite for a better ax, or did it not meet your expectations?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have longed for a Suhr for a long time, I'm just looking for feedback on them. My new Fender is great, so I should probably shut up for a while - it works great for me, but you know the grass is always greener on the other side...

Post Thanks / Like

OK Suhrs....

Don't want to be dismissive on boutique guitar makers; on the contrary, they are striving in a rather "hostile" market. You can buy a killer guitar for $600 those days, why spend $2000-$5000 on a boutique one.

I have played 2 or 3. VERY impressive build quality. Excellent fret job (PLEK) which makes for 99% of the playability. The Strat style models have perhaps the best pickups of this kind I have heard. In fact I have the V60LP model on my blue Strat, you can hear them on the "funky" clip I uploaded.

OK now for the "dismissive" part: I don't like the hype. John Suhr markets his guitars like the best thing since sliced bread. C'mon. It's a Strat/Tele copy (well, most of them, he also has dual humbucker models, etc). He overemphasizes the role of "tonewoods" and "matching the neck with the body". OK, there is truth there, but, you yourself Robert, have proved that a Squier 51 with "crappy" woods can sound awesome. Also the prices are ridiculous for a 2 piece alder body and a common neck. FWIW, Suhr makes his own bodies/necks now, but Pensa/Suhrs were build with the same Warmoth parts anybody can buy.

When you buy a Suhr, you buy a very well build guitar, that plays beautifully, and nothing has been left to chance. You also retain amazing re-selling value. That's all, IMHO.

You can *risk* building a guitar similar in specs to the "Classic" model, equally good, and probably succeed with 2/5 to 3/5 of the money. And I say *risk* because nobody can guarantee the outcome. Suhr does.

I hope I made my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Abraxas, thanks for the response, it was very interesting to hear your views. Good points you make.

I would definitely love to try a Suhr. I haven't had many high-end guitars, and maybe I wouldn't be so floored in the end. Who knows. I am getting very curious about some the more expensive guitars and amps, and if I buy anything like that, my idea is to buy used so I can sell it later if it doesn't make me happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I would definitely love to try a Suhr. I haven't had many high-end guitars, and maybe I wouldn't be so floored in the end. Who knows. I am getting very curious about some the more expensive guitars and amps, and if I buy anything like that, my idea is to buy used so I can sell it later if it doesn't make me happy.
    Hi Robert. By all means try as many "high end" guitars as you can! But, in the process, try to ask yourself: what is it that makes them great? What is the deciding factor in categorizing a guitar as "high end"?

In my opinion, it is the attention to detail and, more than anything, the high standards of playability, as a result of near perfect setup. More "common" guitars don't get that by default...

Consider this experiment: take your new Strat (which is a terrific guitar by any standards) to a competent technician, to set it up (as I like to say) "within an inch of it's life". Do a Plek job on it. The whole deal may cost you $250-$300 (I don't know the prices where you live), but results shall be revealing IMO. I'm willing to bet that this guitar will feel of a similar "high end" value to a same spec Suhr. Of course some things, like pickups for instance, are very much down to personal preference.

My favorites amongst higher priced guitars are Musicman guitars. In fact you can probably find a lightly used Silhouette Special for less than $1000 and there is simply no comparison with similarly priced Fenders IMHO. If I ever buy another similarly priced guitar, it would definitely be another Musicman (most probably another Axis Super Sport in my case )

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys actually spend money to get your guitars set up for the way you play? Why?

Robert...go to Wildwood Guitars and buy a Fender Custom Shop guitar and spend half of what you'd pay on a Suhr.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Plek? Whazzat?

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Do you guys actually spend money to get your guitars set up for the way you play? Why?
    Sure, why not?

A player with a lighter touch, can afford to have (for example) lower action without buzzes, even with light strings. On the other hand, a player that depends on heavy bends might want a somewhat higher action.

Personally I only take a guitar to a tech only for involved electrical work (because I'm too stupid to do it myself) and works like a refret. Other than that, I do all the setup myself, even (recently) fret leveling and crowning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Plek? Whazzat?
    Kerc, have a look at that:

http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=Press

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm just used to monkeying with my own guitars. I suppose I could help someone who doesn't know how to do certain things on their guitars...and get it playing good for them based on what they tell me they want out of it. But it would have to be a one on one session with them sitting there. Is this what one pays for when they need set up work? Are techs available for one on ones like that? I would think so.

Anyway back to Robert's quest for the ultimate Strat. I bet you you'd want the Suhr SH model wouldn't you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast