Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Spudman, tell us!

Thread: Spudman, tell us!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spudman, tell us!

This is a request for Spudman to tell us more about all those guitars you have. You have quite a few! I've been admiring your signature for some time (I should really get a life I suppose) and I'm wondering which one is your favourite?

I have heard good things about Agile guitars, how's yours?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh! Guitar envy. Why I never thought...

If I had to go with just one, which I never would, it would be the Ibanez S470. It just plain sounds great or the Ibanez Rg470. Both are very versatile. They will do Strat quack sounds and full on humbucking shred, or even smooth tone jazz. The S470 has the most groovin soulful tones though. It uses AH pickups versus V7/V8 in the RG. Both have the thicker Wizard II necks with jumbo frets. Nice to play.
    Next in line would be the Ibanez SCR220. It has the standard 2 post tremolo, mahogany body and 24 3/4" scale which makes playing it a breeze. It is a discontinued model. The RG and S 470 both have locking tremolo's so I would only be able to play in one tuning.

Bottom line is I could make it with just one Strat or a Peavey Falcon. Probably the Strat though because the Falcons have locking tremolos. That way I can tune differently. With the combination of effects pedals I now have the Strat would work for sure. I can get the thicker almost humbucking sounds with the Tonebone and Bad Monkey.

I wouldn't choose a Les Paul style though. They just aren't as comfortable and are heavy. Not as many tone options either in my opinion.

OK. S470 or one of the Squier Strats.

THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PICK JUST ONE! HOW DARE YOU EVEN ASK. Arrggh! If the house starts burning I already have a plan to get at least 10 to safety so don't even try that question on me.

ps. If you tried my Agile you would go "wow." She plays fine.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

How many strats have you got!?

What are your top 10 guitars? Ahh, just kidding!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Top 10: Not in order

Ibanez S470
    Ibanez RG470
    Ibanez SCR220
    Squier Tele Special
    Squier Strat Special Edition
    Peavey Falcon
    Agile LP P90's
    Ibanez SA160QM
    Rogue PRS copy
    Ibanez Roadstar II

Tune in next time for the middle top 10.

Post Thanks / Like

What! Not a '51 in there? Shame!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Middle top 10. I don't get from mine what you get out of yours. You must just have the magic black vibe thing going on. Mine is the vintage pea soup and from what I hear the different colors sound different. That is why it didn't make the top 10. It doesn't sound on par with the top 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    The only thing I can figure out is that there must be tremendous manufacturing variability in the '51's, and you guys who have 'em and love 'em must have gotten some of the good ones.

When I was shopping for a guitar for my son, GC was running a $99 special on the Squier '51, and I walked into the store absolutely convinced that I would be walking back out with one, based upon all I'd read here. But 10 seconds after picking one up, I knew that wouldn't happen! I won't go into the details here, but trust me when I say that the two '51's I played at GC that day (both had the sunburst finish) wouldn't appeal to any guitarist with a significant amount of experience with good quality instruments. So I have to assume they were inferiorily manufactured. Maybe GC got a great deal on a batch of crappy '51's and that's why they were selling them for $99??? Anyway, I'd love to check out one of the "good" '51's at some point, and see what the model is actually capable of, when done right....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Since GC and Musician's Friend are affiliated, maybe GC gets all of MF's returns. Then GC puts them up as blowouts. It would explain a lot.

I ordered mine sight unseen from MF, and it was as good as I could have expected. Mine is a blond with black pickguard. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Top 10: Not in order

Ibanez S470
    Ibanez RG470
    Ibanez SCR220
    Squier Tele Special
    Squier Strat Special Edition
    Peavey Falcon
    Agile LP P90's
    Ibanez SA160QM
    Rogue PRS copy
    Ibanez Roadstar II

Tune in next time for the middle top 10.
    I just stumbled upon this thread somehow, and have a question about your list. I have seen things like this in the past, where people rank Epiphones or Squiers above their Gibson or Fender counterparts in terms of favorite guitars.

I have never understood that. How can the bargain version of a guitar come out on top when all is said and done? Is there a certain feature in those have (not sure what "Special Edition" entails), or are they somehow just better quality than the big-brother Fenders?
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

A good guitar is just...a good guitar. There are some variables but for the most part it's two pieces of wood and some metal. If a guitar is set up well then what does it matter what model or brand it is? If you pick one up and it speaks to you then you will probably always think that it is a good guitar. That's really all it takes in my book.

New top 10:

Musicman Luke
    Epiphone Birdseye LP Limited Edition
    Hagstrom Viking Deluxe
    Ibanez S 470
    Ibanez SCR220
    Ibanez SA220
    Squier Deluxe Strat
    Squire CV50s Strat
    Samick AV4
    Rogue PRS copy

Post Thanks / Like

A good guitar is just...a good guitar. There are some variables but for the most part it's two pieces of wood and some metal. If a guitar is set up well then what does it matter what model or brand it is? If you pick one up and it speaks to you then you will probably always think that it is a good guitar. That's really all it takes in my book.
    I feel you on that, but it doesn't make sense to me that the major manufacturers' cheap models end up being better than the flagship models. I know it's possible because of the metal-and-wood thing that you mention, and that's something that I endorse at every opportunity: you don't need a guitar to be expensive for it to be good.

However, if I was making a signature product -- let's say it's a telephone -- and I also offer a cheaper version using slightly less-expensive plastic, I'm pretty sure I'd like to make sure that the signature one is the best telephone I could make. Not necessarily the fanciest, but the best. Wouldn't it come off as odd if my cheap version was the better telephone?

Perhaps not, but at first glance the idea was always a little funny to me.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thing is with guitars they aren't real consistent in quality. Wood varies in density, weight and tone. Assembly and finish quality varies because it's done by different humans. A run of a particular model could have several different people involved in the end product and not always the same people.

So really there are a lot of variables verses a machine made molded plastic object such as a phone. Because of those variables and people being people, someone at a lesser known brand factory may have just gotten a great motivational speech or just had the birth of their first child or something and that day they put their pride into the product. Combine that with a fortuitous combination of great toned woods coming together and voila! you have a great guitar.

That's what I'm always looking for. But just like the fable, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Spudman,

If you had to sell five right away which 5 would be the first to go?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thing is with guitars they aren't real consistent in quality. Wood varies in density, weight and tone. Assembly and finish quality varies because it's done by different humans. A run of a particular model could have several different people involved in the end product and not always the same people.

So really there are a lot of variables verses a machine made molded plastic object such as a phone. Because of those variables and people being people, someone at a lesser known brand factory may have just gotten a great motivational speech or just had the birth of their first child or something and that day they put their pride into the product. Combine that with a fortuitous combination of great toned woods coming together and voila! you have a great guitar.

That's what I'm always looking for. But just like the fable, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.
    That does make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    OK Spudman,

If you had to sell five right away which 5 would be the first to go?
    None of the ones in my top 10 list.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, cheap guitars may be made with cheaper wood and hardware but some cuts of wood turned out to be toneful that the guitar has the mojo. Maybe that particular cut of wood has less knots?

I have an Epi tele that turned out to be pretty good but it wasn't at first. The body is multi-plied wood and the neck pocket is poor fitting. The neck and the fretwork is quite good so I sanded the neck pocket to bare wood (paint overspray) and glued the neck. Now I can feel the guitar vibrate and it sounded better that I slapped on GFS Lil Punchers. The sound I got reminded me of Jimmy Page's tele in the early LZ days.

Does it sound as good as my better guitars? No but it's a beast on its own.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____