Thread: Songs you play?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Songs you play?

What songs do you really like to play? At home, I like playing jazz blues, and sometimes I transcribe some SRV or similar.

When I play gigs, I often play songs by the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, CCR, SRV, Clapton and a whole bunch of blues classics (Fanny Mae, Sweet Home Chicago, etc). The songs are rarely picked by me.

What songs do you not like to play?
    I'd list "Rock Around The Clock" here... and "Roll Over Beethoven" - I don't find them very interesting to play.

I am always looking for good covers to play, if you have any suggestions, please pour 'em in here!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

We just added "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash) and "Whiskey Lullaby" (Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss), and "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" (Georgia Satellites). I'm stoked to be playing these tunes. On the last one, I get to unleash the ESP and wail a bit. The Cash tunes are a blast to play as well!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good songs, I used to play that last one a lot a long time ago, dunno why I never end up playing it with bands these days. Folsom Prison Blues is great fun - have you heard Brian Setzer do it? He's the man!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

When I play by myself, I have some fingerstyle stuff that I've been working on:
    - I'll See You in My Dreams (Chet Atkins style )
    - Taking It To the Streets (a solo guitar arrangement that I'm working on)
    - Christmas Time is Here (Vince Garaldi tune that I'm arranging for solo guitar)

When I play with the variety band that I play with we're doing a bunch of covers that are kind of fun. Some are more fun than others ...
    - Summertime Blues (old Eddie Cochran tune)
    - Sleepwalk
    - Do It Again (Steely Dan)
    - Jumbalaya (we do this one really fast as a chicken pickin kind of thing)
    - Mercy Mercy Mercy

Post Thanks / Like

My current favorite songs to jam to aren't traditional, but what the hell...

Hiroshi Miyagawa
    Space Battleship Yamato Original BGM Collection

Iron Maiden
    Number of the Beast, Wasted Years

Jimi Hendrix
    Ezy Ryder, Straight Ahead, Killing Floor, 3rd Stone From The Sun, Like A Rolling Stone

Johnny Cash
    The Man Comes Around, I've Been Everywhere, Rusty Cage

Mike Oldfield
    The Bell, Man In The Rain

Muddy Waters
    Mannish Boy, Champagne & Reefer

Rush
    YYZ, Where's My Thing?, 2112 Overture & Grand Finale, Limelight

TV Themes
    Linus & Lucy (aka Charlie Brown Theme - Vince Guarialdi), The Pink Panther, The Rockford Files, Law & Order, Spiderman (60s version), The Munsters, Hawaii-Five O

Misc themes
    Super Mario Brothers (NES video game theme), Brass Bonanza (The old Hardford Whalers Theme), Nutrocker (The Boston Bruins theme)

And songs I hate?

Born To Be Wild, Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama, and anything from Bon Jovi

I'd rather gargle a glass full of razor blades than play those songs ever again. Mustang Sally to me sounds like fingernails on a chalk board.
    Last edited by tremoloman; May 24th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix