Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tele neck pup as replacement for strat single coil.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tele neck pup as replacement for strat single coil.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele neck pup as replacement for strat single coil.

This is related to the pupcaster thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7971

How much modification is required to replaced a standard strat neck pup with a tele-sized one?

All the Charlie Christian pups that I can find are meant to be either replacements for a tele neck pup or a humbucker.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on if you mounted it in your body or the guard, as each will require a different approach, also want to take note of the magnet and winding polarity, in regard to which direction its mounted, it would be a matter of changing a few wires around..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dan P
    It would depend on if you mounted it in your body or the guard, as each will require a different approach, also want to take note of the magnet and winding polarity, in regard to which direction its mounted, it would be a matter of changing a few wires around..
    I'd mount it on the guard.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

with the two other strat pups? I believe the tele pup is smaller and may not mount in the standard holes...

Post Thanks / Like

Isnt the pole spacing different too?

Post Thanks / Like

Here we are !

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think about the pole spacing...hmmm maybe this won't work.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Although it just MAY...a typical Strat's neck pickup pole pieces dont line up so hot with the high strings either...a smaller pup MAY actualy work out nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Seymour Duncan Tele neck p/u's have a 2.852" pole spacing, where the Duncan Strat p/u's have a 3.031" spacing... you're about to enter custom pickguard territory for this configuration.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Seymour Duncan Tele neck p/u's have a 2.852" pole spacing, where the Duncan Strat p/u's have a 3.031" spacing... you're about to enter custom pickguard territory for this configuration.
    I'm already thinking about a custom p(r)ickguard as my mine is ugly & Godin won't sell me a new one & I can't find any second parties selling them.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

The pole spacing shouldn't be any different...at least on the neck pickup, that is. Strats and Tele's both have the same nut widths (1-5/8" or 1-11/16"), the same string spacing at the bridge (2-7/32" vintage, 2-3/16" modern), and the same 25-1/2" scale length. So the string paths on the two guitars should be identical, respectively.

Any variation from Fender's respective designs (vintage vs. modern) would be due to differences in aftermarket pickup design, and that should affect both models accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    The pole spacing shouldn't be any different...at least on the neck pickup, that is. Strats and Tele's both have the same nut widths (1-5/8" or 1-11/16"), the same string spacing at the bridge (2-7/32" vintage, 2-3/16" modern), and the same 25-1/2" scale length. So the string paths on the two guitars should be identical, respectively.

Any variation from Fender's respective designs (vintage vs. modern) would be due to differences in aftermarket pickup design, and that should affect both models accordingly.
    I'm really wanting to put such a pup into the neck of my Godin SD, which has a 24-3/4" scale.

But really, I want to put a Charlie Christian blade style & so the pole-spacing question is moot.

Would I have to get a custom pickguard first? Or could I mod the one I have to at least fit the pup?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad... substitute 'pole spacing' to 'mounting screw spacing'

Tele neck pickups are smaller than strat's...
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    My bad... substitute 'pole spacing' to 'mounting screw spacing'

Tele neck pickups are smaller than strat's...
    That's what I was concerned about in the above post.

I'd like to mount it on my current pickguard (I don't mind cutting it if need be) to try it out before getting a custom pickguard.

The whole thing sounds too complex.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I'm really wanting to put such a pup into the neck of my Godin SD, which has a 24-3/4" scale.

But really, I want to put a Charlie Christian blade style & so the pole-spacing question is moot.

Would I have to get a custom pickguard first? Or could I mod the one I have to at least fit the pup?
    I'll have to tie a string around my finger to remember to check that for you tonight. I have a Tele pickup and a Strat pickguard that I can try matching it up to. If I'm not mistaken, the mounting holes on a Tele pickup should match the holes on a Strat pickguard. There will be a gap around the pickup when mounted, however. The Tele pickups coil is smaller than a Strat's.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging from Seymour Duncan's site, their Alnico II Pro for Strat is 3.031" from one mounting hole to the other. Their Alnico II Pro for Tele (neck) is 2.852".
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Judging from Seymour Duncan's site, their Alnico II Pro for Strat is 3.031" from one mounting hole to the other. Their Alnico II Pro for Tele (neck) is 2.852".
    Thanks Marnold!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

The mounting holes on a Tele neck pickup do not line up with the holes in a typical Strat pickguard. Even if they did, there would be a sizable gap around the pickup, as the route is larger than the pickup.

I checked it last night, and it's a no-go....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! At least we have an answer. It limits my options...but sometimes that is a good thing .
    I pick a moon dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast