Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Clapton Sound Effects
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clapton Sound Effects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clapton Sound Effects

I think I'm the last guitar player on the planet to become a great Clapton fan. I explain that by saying I've been involved in church work all my life and haven't been around a lot of different music.

I was wondering what pedals/effects Eric Clapton uses to produce that wonderful sound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I got into Clapton over the last year, so I guess that makes me second to the last Clapton fan (there's a Far Side cartoon about the Last of the Mohican's that I've never been able to locate.)

Try googling different things about Clapton's gear and see what you turn up.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clapton sound

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I got into Clapton over the last year, so I guess that makes me second to the last Clapton fan (there's a Far Side cartoon about the Last of the Mohican's that I've never been able to locate.)

Try googling different things about Clapton's gear and see what you turn up.
    Thank you, I'll try that. It seems to me that most of his stuff is sort of subtle, which I like. I like the clean sound. I use a blues effects at church but I'm looking for something that will give me more sustain.

It's good to know I'm not the only "johnny come late" guy around about Clapton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayner
    I was wondering what pedals/effects Eric Clapton uses to produce that wonderful sound.
    Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean earlier EC when he played Gibson LP's, 335 or SG through Marshalls with a Vox Crybaby wah (i.e., with Cream or earlier), or later, (i.e., Derek & the Dominoes & solo career, when he went to a Strat through Music Man or Fender amps, and added using a phase shifter pedal?

EDIT: cross-posted...sounds like you mean the Strat 'era' EC.

Post Thanks / Like

(One should start with very deft hands!)

You'd be better advised to develop & produce your own unique sound... don't be a mimic, be a musician. That's the difference between artists and technicians and subject for loooooong & intense discussions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean earlier EC when he played Gibson LP's, 335 or SG through Marshalls with a Vox Crybaby wah (i.e., with Cream or earlier), or later, (i.e., Derek & the Dominoes & solo career, when he went to a Strat through Music Man or Fender amps, and added using a phase shifter pedal?

EDIT: cross-posted...sounds like you mean the Strat 'era' EC.
    Yeah I like the later sound better with the Strat. I just watched some vids posted by Just Strum, "You were wonderful tonight," "Crossroads," (done on Good Morning America with John Mayer) and etc. Clapton is so good and smooth. Since I'm a pastor and play in church I need something that is subtle and I like the sustain. I play a Tele through a Fender amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Eric Clapton

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    (One should start with very deft hands!)

You'd be better advised to develop & produce your own unique sound... don't be a mimic, be a musician. That's the difference between artists and technicians and subject for loooooong & intense discussions!
    Yeah Rocket I know what you mean. I don't think Eric has any worry about me taking over his spot. The more I see and hear other players the more I realize I need to work on my playing. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

From what Ive read he developed his sound from his Gibson days, hed use the bridge humbucker full time(I notice Bonamassa does this too) but then he turns the tone knob all the way down so its more middy and he adjusts his tone stack on the amp to flavor.
    But on his Strats hes got a preamp to add upto 25db(?) more drive.
    Its a mid driven tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    From what Ive read he developed his sound from his Gibson days, hed use the bridge humbucker full time(I notice Bonamassa does this too) but then he turns the tone knob all the way down so its more middy and he adjusts his tone stack on the amp to flavor.
    But on his Strats hes got a preamp to add upto 25db(?) more drive.
    Its a mid driven tone.
    Guess I'm going have to talk the wife into getting me a Clapton Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good way to NOT get one.
    Get it yourself... then discuss it with the wife!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good way to NOT get one.
    Get it yourself... then discuss it with the wife!
    I forgot, it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not going to do anything, but provide you with a guitar that looks like Clapton's or at the very least shaped like one of his. If you can't drive the ball down the fairway, a new driver is only going to help you drive it deeper into the woods.

Practice, get better, and then decide what guitar you want. At the very least, don't buy a guitar because some guitar god has one.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

That's not going to do anything, but provide you with a guitar that looks like Clapton's or at the very least shaped like one of his. If you can't drive the ball down the fairway, a new driver is only going to help you drive it deeper into the woods.

Practice, get better, and then decide what guitar you want. At the very least, don't buy a guitar because some guitar god has one.
    I'm working on getting better. I'm not that stupid about getting a new guitar just because. I love good music and I love playing. Besides I love my Tele.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on getting better. I'm not that stupid about getting a new guitar just because. I love good music and I love playing. Besides I love my Tele.

I don't recall putting the word stupid in my post, if you think I was insinuating that - hey, what can I say?

It sounded like you were letting GAS drive you to a sound and I was pointing out the danger. I go down that road all the time, did the same thing with golf. Guitar and golf are tied together in a lot of ways. A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.

Anyway, I wasn't calling you stupid. If I was, I can assure you there would be no mistaking it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.
    Huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Huh?

Ah yes, the Axel Rose outfit.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall putting the word stupid in my post, if you think I was insinuating that - hey, what can I say?

It sounded like you were letting GAS drive you to a sound and I was pointing out the danger. I go down that road all the time, did the same thing with golf. Guitar and golf are tied together in a lot of ways. A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.

Anyway, I wasn't calling you stupid. If I was, I can assure you there would be no mistaking it.
    No, no, just strum, I appreciate the advice. I wasn't insulted. Glad to hear from you anytime. I love reading your posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh?

that has to be you - you've taken your swing and notice the progress of your ball.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

how about this pedal to play with....less than $100....

DigiTech Artist Series XAS-EC Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Multi Effects Pedal

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast