Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Godin 5th avenue with Lollar P90

Post Thanks / Like

Default Godin 5th avenue with Lollar P90

This could well be my next guitar:

CB Perkins in CA has added a Lollar P90 to the new Godin 5th Avenue archtop. Godin will release an version with a P90 called the 5th Avenue kingpin later this year. The Perkins version seems pretty dang cool!

http://cbperkins.blogspot.com/2008/0...r-vintage.html

Robert Godin introducing the acoustic version at NAMM last January:

I pick a moon dog.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Godin makes some really, really nice stuff.

I wouldn't mind one of those electro-acoustic nylon string guitars.

The 5th Avenue guitars get rave reviews from what I've read.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my Christmas present. I got it before the price went up.

It is sweet, sweet, sweet (I had to play it to make sure that it works).

It's a Godin 5th Avenue with a Lollar P90 at neck--similar to the Godin Kingpin which will have a Godin P90 there.

I don't have an acoustic guitar & this can get sweet acoustic tones through the P90 set clean (listen to the video clip by Bruno Labrie on the link below)

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

(I could also put acoustic strings on it), but it can also go other places as well. Robert Godin gave it a more modern voicing than a traditional archtop. I'm currently playing fingerstyle country dirt blues with it. I've got 12s on it, but I am moving up to 13s to see how that feels. The guitar is vibrant, dynamic, & responsive. The top vibrates & breathes when it is played--I love the resonance gained by it's interaction with the sound from the amp.

It only took a little while to get used to playing it. I'm very happy.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great guitar there Tot,I've been thinking of replacing my old takamine and that looks like it would fit the ticket.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Great guitar! it was on my short list but I went the Viking route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    This is my Christmas present. I got it before the price went up.

Dang tot_Ou_tard, I was away when you posted this and I missed it completely!... Very, very nice indeed.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that looks like just an excellent guitar! Congrats and Merry Christmas!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I find that the P90 is very sensitive to picking dynamics, picking location (I prefer it just over the pup), & pole piece height.

It's very balanced, articulate, & sweet guitar. I haven't tried to get it screaming, as I really don't know how to play that way yet. I'm looking forward to learning to play slide on it.

For you weight-obsessed folx the thing is a feather.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I played the Godin 5th Avenue Archtop... what a stunning guitar. I can see what the hype is all about, it really was a piece of art. Non electric model though, and I think I'd want one with the electronics as well.

The version I played was priced at $499... still a good price for an excellent guitar. I can see why you are drawn to these. Wow!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tot! I can just hear the tone from here: Merry Christmas!

M

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to hear that you liked the 5th Avenue 'Gonq'.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

tot, so yours is a CB Perkins version with a Lollar P90? Do you know whose P90 is going in with the Godin version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Do you know whose P90 is going in with the Godin version?
    The Godin site just lists it as a 'Godin Kingpin P90 single-coil pickup'
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Aeolian. Mine was modded by Erick at CB Perkins with a Lollar P90.

All I know about the P90 in the Kingpin is what 'Gonq' posted.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this archtop. This is great tot!

I'd love to purchase an acoustic version and then install a Benedetto floating pickup on the neck... add volume/tone pots on the pickguard and an acoustic type pin-jack and you dont even have to drill anything!
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

Have you played one yet Abraxas?

It's voiced slightly differently than a standard archtop, which I like as I plan on playing all types of genres on it.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Have you played one yet Abraxas?

It's voiced slightly differently than a standard archtop, which I like as I plan on playing all types of genres on it.
    Unfortunately not my friend. Godin's dealer in Greece doesn't import all the models, although I believe we shall see one of those here in the near future.

But from what I hear it's a wonderful instrument that carries on the Godin tradition of great but affortable guitars. And if you can keep the feedback on check you will probably be able to explore it's potential to the full.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue with feedback as I only play at home. In fact, I make sure to point the amp directly at the guitar & I stand close. I love the interaction of the guitar & the amp. It doesn't feedback that way, but it does breathe.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I'm still G.A.S. in' for one of these,but I'm still up in the air pup or no pup?I like what Abraxas had to say about the Benedetto pup.There is also a piezo bridge.But I really like em' more all the time.tough choice.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast