Thread: Fret dressing & polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fret dressing & polishing.

How much does one expect to pay for a fret dressing & polishing in the US.

I'm tired of fighting the high e string on the the first three frets on my Radiator. The frets a quite worn there.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Most places in my area tot run around $125.00 to $150.00.

and of course if the frets have to be replaced it's more.

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

A fret dress should run you $100 plus or minus. Complete fret job on a unbound fretboard $200 +/-. $275 or so for a bound fretboard.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupid question guy here - what is bound and unbound.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Stupid question guy here - what is bound and unbound.
    Not stupid at all. Les Paul = bound fretboard. LP's have a white inlay that runs down the edges of the fretboard. Strat = unbound. Nothing on the edges.

Bound fretboards are more expensive to refret as it's more time consuming to remove and replace the frets w/o damaging the inlay.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys.

I was expecting around $100.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the prices right off of their website - a local small instrument repair shop in Montpelier, VT - they also sell instruments of course.

Fret Dressing: $50-$75.00

Partial Refret w/o binding: $ 9.00 per fret - with binding: $ 11.00 per fret

Complete Refret w/o binding: $150.00 - with binding: $175.00
    Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Just to level and crown the frets around $65 where I live.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

$65 is much better & $50 even better than that. I'll call around today. Thanks everyone!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what size frets you have on that guitar, tot?

That'll help determine if you've got enough fret height for a level/crown, of if you'll need to replace the frets altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Do you know what size frets you have on that guitar, tot?

That'll help determine if you've got enough fret height for a level/crown, of if you'll need to replace the frets altogether.
    Ummmm..no.

I called today. It's $65 for a levelling + setup.

I'll take it in tomorrow & see what they say.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a very good price IMO. I need to find out about this tomorrow, will be interesting to see how much I get quoted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShootTheGlass
    That sounds like a very good price IMO. I need to find out about this tomorrow, will be interesting to see how much I get quoted!
    Yeah, I was pleased with the quote. It's from an excellent music store with a reknowned rep.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to update this thread.

It cost $70 for a fret level & polish, fretboard cleaning & conditioning, & set-up.

The job was spectacular. The Radiator sounds so much better & it's a joy to play.

I should have done this about a year ago.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're happy. My Strat is in need of some TLC... I hope I can get as good of a deal. Not likely, but one can hope.

Cheers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus