Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Games

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Olympic Games

I love watching the Games. Too bad I have to work during it! Who else is watching?

What events are you most interested in? For me, it's the running events of course, anything from 100m to the marathon.

I enjoy watching the swimming too. Man, Phelps is something else.

Basketball could be interesting... will USA do better than last time?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the opening ceremonies! We were at a friend's house having a BBQ. Then we went camping this weekend. I watched the beginning of the gymnasties last night. Kinda boring...it doesn't heat up until later in the week. I like the gymnastics and the swimming relays. I wish they aired archery and shooting events!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    I missed the opening ceremonies! We were at a friend's house having a BBQ. Then we went camping this weekend. I watched the beginning of the gymnasties last night. Kinda boring...it doesn't heat up until later in the week. I like the gymnastics and the swimming relays. I wish they aired archery and shooting events!
    archery was on MSNBC a little earlier....

i like the swimming and gymnastics....it was great seeing the us win the mens relay last night when they were the underdogs....i think the french saying they were going to smash the us in the relay helped motivate!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had just started a thread to discuss olympics before I saw yours. I will delete mine. Re: the Olympics, I love them! Last night really got me into it with the swimming events, esp. the come from behind US 4x100 relay victory. The gymnastics was fun to watch too, but the competition part is hard for me as the commentators were already discussing the cheating and politics that infect the judging so in my mind hurt the credibility of the results. Give me a race or something physically measurable I say. Anyhow, the games are on and it is fun to watch!

I used to run track and track an field is one of my favorites for sure, though I get discouraged by the doping scandals and things like Marion Jones's usage, etc. I still love to set that aside and watch the competition though. One of my favorites was the Australian woman runner in the Sydney Olympics who was aboriginal and one her event in the middle distances (my favorites, 400, 800 1600 etc.). It seemed poetic justice.

Anyone else see anything interesting?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also wish they showed more cycling and especially the mountain biking, as I do a lot of that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have some interest in the swimming as I used to do that. As for the basketball, it's a joke. Say what you will about the Olympics having a history of being a "professional" competition, but sending the top NBA players is way way over the top. Why not just send the Harlem Globetrotters at this point?
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Still the U.S. lost the basketball semi-final last time in Greece...

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    I have some interest in the swimming as I used to do that. As for the basketball, it's a joke. Say what you will about the Olympics having a history of being a "professional" competition, but sending the top NBA players is way way over the top. Why not just send the Harlem Globetrotters at this point?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I am not that big a basketball fan, and I guess I wish it was the equivalent of college athletes, or at least non-professional athletes. I am more for the individual-team events, like swimming, track, cycling, etc., when I am watching the Olympics.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

i thought the story last night about the 31 or 33 year old gymnast competing in the vault for germany was pretty cool....it hurts though to watch the guys and gals that have worked so hard to get there make a mistakes and loose their grip on the uneven parallel bars and such....you feel so bad for them....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah Warren. I agree on both those points. And the gymnasts seem so young! Especially on the "womens" side. I worry about youth getting exploited. I am glad they at least have to be 16 now. It was nice to see that thirty something Mom hit her vaults like that and to know about her motivation due to her kid who got sick. Those are the things that bring the world closer together I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Still the U.S. lost the basketball semi-final last time in Greece...
    Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing). This team "cares" to the extent that they feel they have to make up for what happened in Greece. I sincerely doubt being in the Olympics means all that much to them, but they don't want to be humiliated. To go back to the analogy, it'd be like the Washington Generals beating the Globetrotters, which, by the way, did happen a couple of times. It's obviously not impossible for the US team to lose, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Other countries have some NBA players on their teams but not a top-to-bottom team of NBA superstars like the US team. To me, blow-out games are the single most boring thing in all of sports (even when it's my team that's winning). I prefer it when the game is actually a contest right down to the last play. It's significantly more exciting that way.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing).
    Basketball is not the only sport that fields professionals. Tennis, cycling, and I'm other sports are all being competed by professionals. If most countries are subsidizing their athletes so they can train for the Olympics they are just amateurs in name only.

I think the only 'amateurs' are in the sports where there is no professional money to be made.

Post Thanks / Like

even though the pros are millionaires....a gold medal is one thing their money can't buy....i think getting a gold medal probably is somewhat important to the players or they wouldn't agree to participate...

ww

Post Thanks / Like

So is Yao not American anymore?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Basketball is not the only sport that fields professionals. Tennis, cycling, and I'm other sports are all being competed by professionals. If most countries are subsidizing their athletes so they can train for the Olympics they are just amateurs in name only.

I think the only 'amateurs' are in the sports where there is no professional money to be made.
    I agree with you that this is the case. However, there is a HUGE difference between state-subsidized athletes and those who play in the world's premier professional league. I agree that having the pros play in tennis is equivalent. I just don't care about tennis so it doesn't bother me as much as with basketball as I wouldn't be watching the tennis anyway. I just believe that the talent pool for American basketball players is deep enough that we could send college kids and still be reasonably expected to win. Sending the NBA superstars is overkill.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing). This team "cares" to the extent that they feel they have to make up for what happened in Greece. I sincerely doubt being in the Olympics means all that much to them, but they don't want to be humiliated. To go back to the analogy, it'd be like the Washington Generals beating the Globetrotters, which, by the way, did happen a couple of times. It's obviously not impossible for the US team to lose, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Other countries have some NBA players on their teams but not a top-to-bottom team of NBA superstars like the US team. To me, blow-out games are the single most boring thing in all of sports (even when it's my team that's winning). I prefer it when the game is actually a contest right down to the last play. It's significantly more exciting that way.
    What the other teams have on their teams is the professional level of the European league and don't underestimate the talent. I agree about the Olympics shouldn't be about professional athletes, but other countries have been doing it for years.

Sorry, I just don't find the enjoyment in the Olympics that you people seem to be finding - to each their own.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess part of it, Strum, is that sports that typically get less mainstream coverage, such as track, swimming, cycling, fencing, crew, (in the winter, skiing, xc/skiing, bobsled, luge,) etc. get some coverage, and the idea of athletes getting together from different countries that gets me. And there the stories that can happen. Big event athletics, such as basketball and hockey, or tennis, golf, etc., are not the reason I watch the Olympics. Those guys get paid anyway. I know runners and swimmers get endorsements and some pay too, but not on a NBA/NHL level. And you have the stories about moms and dads, kids, etc. who pursue their dream and make it happen. Guys like Al Oerter who won at four Olympics in discus. Ms. Torres giving it a go at 41. Stuff like that. Oh, and four guys who everyone says are going to lose find a way to touch the wall first last night in the 4x100 and beat the favorites. (I love relays, track, swimming, whatever) I have a Disney streak in me I guess, but I do think the spirit of it still exists in some events and with some athletes stories. Anyhoo, I wonder what is on tonight? Kids and wife are away, and I am going to learn some bluegrass lead, working on alternate picking, while watching!! Maybe the rhythm too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Anyhoo, I wonder what is on tonight? Kids and wife are away, and I am going to learn some bluegrass lead, working on alternate picking, while watching!! Maybe the rhythm too.
    from the online tv guide....

From Beijing. Gymnastics, men's team final; swimming finals: men's 200m freestyle, 100m backstroke, women's 100m backstroke, 100m breaststroke; beach volleyball, USA vs. Cuba; diving, platform synchronized final.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I guess part of it, Strum, is that sports that typically get less mainstream coverage, such as track, swimming, cycling, fencing, crew, (in the winter, skiing, xc/skiing, bobsled, luge,) etc. get some coverage, and the idea of athletes getting together from different countries that gets me.
    Bingo! Obscure sports & athletes from all over the world.

The athletes, for the most part, ignore the politics. They're in it because they are obsessed with their sport & they want to WIN. Simple as that for the athletes.

It is what it is. Watch it or not. I see no point in whining about what it should be.
    I pick a moon dog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast