Thread: newb hello and a strat question

Post Thanks / Like

Default newb hello and a strat question

Hey folks, just a newb checking in. I've been lurking for a while and it seems like there are plenty of good people here.

I have and 07 mim strat that i just ordered wilkinson locking tuners for and was wondering if anyone has gone that route. I got them from Guitar Fetish and they are the type that have two holes in the post. If so, did the new hardware just drop right in or did you have to mod the holes in the headstock a bit? Thanks, Bill

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, welcome to the forum. I can't help you on the tuners, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Beware of things that go hiss.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome bilsdragon....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

More than likely you will have to modify the holes in the back of the headstock.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer your question but I can tell you welcome to the Fret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Nice to have you here. Folks with more knowledge than I possess will be around to help you with the tuners. You may want to do a separate post in the "Mods, Projects . . ." portion of the Fret. Nice, anyhow, to make your acquaintance!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess I'll have an answer to my question over the weekend. I'm going to sacrafice a string to see how one fits.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret!
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to my question about the Wilkinson is tuners is that they fit perfectly in a mim strat headstock. Just be sure to make pilot holes deep enough so that the additional screw that keeps the tuners from turning doesn't bind or shear off. I used a pin vise and put a piece of tape on the bit to set the depth. The tuners work great and the guitar really stays in tune. (I'm not Joe whammy bar, mostly normal playing and string bends)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

How about some pics?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good job on the Wilkinson lockers

I put them on a couple guitars and like them.

They are, however, no where near as nice as the Fender locking tuners, made by schaller I think. They are way nicer and way more expensive at 90 dollars, but they work nice and look classy.

I suppose if you learn how to string the Wilkinsons really well you can avoid that loop at the oppositional string holes. I always have some loop between the holes that is not tight up against the pole; after I go thru the second hole the top one loosens up or something. They work really good though. I'll have to get better at it.

Welcome.

Duffy

Did you try powdered graphite on the nut under the strings and on the saddles? Some people like the GFS stainless steel solid saddles instead of the bent metal stock ones, as well. I like the solid stainless steel saddles best.

GFS also has out a new all steel block and tremolo for MIM Fender strats for like thirty something dollars. It is supposed to be good compared to the stock zinc one. I haven't done that yet on any of mine but people say it works good and drops right in.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Duff, I too have to get better at stringing the wilkinsons. They do work great but I experienced the same thing as you did.

Since I swapped the tuners I have added the stainless solid saddles as well. The guitar really is starting to feel and sound great. I really like how smooth the solid saddles feel while playing and it may be my imagination, but I think the tone is a little deeper.
    I think sometime after 04(since my buddy's 04 mim has the smaller trem block) the mims went to the larger trem block like the one my guitar came with. I don't know if it's zinc, but it's more meaty than the one that my 02 mim is wearing. I'll have to take some pictures to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsdragon
    The answer to my question about the Wilkinson is tuners is that they fit perfectly in a mim strat headstock. Just be sure to make pilot holes deep enough so that the additional screw that keeps the tuners from turning doesn't bind or shear off. I used a pin vise and put a piece of tape on the bit to set the depth. The tuners work great and the guitar really stays in tune. (I'm not Joe whammy bar, mostly normal playing and string bends)
    Good to know. I've got a sweet little MIM that can use some upgrades. Welcome to thefret.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.