Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bill Lawrence pickups - opinions?

Thread: Bill Lawrence pickups - opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Lawrence pickups - opinions?

Do any of you own Bill Lawrence pickups? They seem to be very highly regarded as excellent hardware. I've ordered a couple for my Jagmaster upgrade, so if you have any opinions or experience with them I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too is curious. I have heard their noiseless pickups are great.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

My only ownership experience with Bill Lawrence pickups was with one of Bill's L-250's back in the 70's. It was one of his first designs and had a single blade. It was ok, but nothing that I would call great.

Despite that experience, I've played some of the newer L-280's and an L-290 and they are very sweet pickups indeed. They have a single coils type sound in a Strat and are completely noisless. When pushed, they deliver a very nice OD tone. Having said that, I wouldn't say as some have, that they are like vintage toned single coils. They just don't have that vibe. That doesn't mean they're not good, they're just good in a different way than straight single coils. I think of them as a good addition to your tone if you already have a Strat with traditional pickups, not as a replacement for one.

BTW: For those who don't know this, there's a controversy over the name "Bill Lawrence." There are two companies marketing pickups under the name - the real Bill Lawrence, and his former partner who claims the right to still use the name. I haven't had any direct experience with the partners pickups, but I've heard they're pretty good. The pickups actually made by Bill Lawrence are the one's that I was speaking of. Bill Lawrence still hand makes his pickups himself by order, so if you want a set there's a few week wait to get them. I don't think it's more than about four weeks though.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the L 500 and thought it was fantastic. Clean when you rolled the volume back and driven and tone-y when ran full open. Yes is all I have to say.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm putting to L-500s in my Jagmaster, so once they get here I'll post an update and soundclips. (They take 3-4 months to ship).
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I'm putting to L-500s in my Jagmaster, so once they get here I'll post an update and soundclips. (They take 3-4 months to ship).
    Well?

I had the xl 500ls in a jackson and they were hot as hell. Either gonna put them or Dimarzio x2n's in my ibanez.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I've used the L 500 and thought it was fantastic. Clean when you rolled the volume back and driven and tone-y when ran full open. Yes is all I have to say.

Same here! I like the B.L.offerings!!

My american deluxe tele has the S.C noiseless pups he designed .They sound great:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

The Fender SCNs are a Bill Lawrence (aka Willi Stich, aka Billy Lorento, aka Wilde Pickups) design, the vintage and hot noiseless are not. I remember Nils Lofgren raving about his BL noiseless strat pickups in an interview back in the 70s. His strat sounded kind of OK iirc.

BL also do their Keystone range, not noiseless but very highly thought of.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of Bill Lawrence pickups in my 1990 ES335. They are the circuit board pickups. They are very nice. Amazingly loud compared to others but also with a sweet tone to them.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a set of bl's keystones in my telecastar. they sound great and are noiseless. this guitar i built from parts and has a 4-way switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Lawrence Wilde L-90 pickups.

My new guitar is on it's way to me so I haven't 'first-hand' info to share, but, more importantly, here's what Ron Kirn(the builder) has to say about the guitar.

"I did a mahogany Tele with a pair of BIll Lawrence's L90s and the Hannes bridge.... it is probably the cleanest sounding...., Clean . . . NOT BRIGHT . . Tele I have ever done... I don't yet know if it's just everything coming together at a point in time, or is it's a combination of the Schaller Hannes bridge and the L 90s. It may be interesting to note, Bill touts the sonic properties of lighter bridges... kinda makes ya say, Hummmmm.."

"I gotta tell ya... that is among the finest sounding teles I have had the pleasure of doing, the Bill Lawrence Pups with the Schaller bridge is simply stunning...."

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 90's a friend of mine had a Nuno Bettencourt model that was equipped with a Bill Lawrence L500 I think. That thing sounded great and was very reactive to playing with the volume pot.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

L-90's are one of those "magic" pickups IMHO. Simply fantastic. :